• Please log in to reply
1163 replies to this topic

#1151 Mike 84C

Mike 84C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 22:26

I think the 2900 was the best looking of all the GW 4-6-0 classes.  I do hope Lady of Legend is a real flyer, some of the drivers I fired to who were in their 60's in the 60's , reckoned they were the fastest things on rails! So I live in hope.

Mick

• Like x 2

#1152 RJS1977

RJS1977

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 12:16

Talking of the railmotor a couple of posts back, what's happened to its shed? When I went to Didcot for the signalling weekend, it didn't seem to be there any more, apart from a few sections of wriggly tin lying around :-(

#1153 Castle

Castle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,137 posts
  • LocationNever too far from 81E!

Posted 25 August 2018 - 17:18

Hi RJS,

The Railmotor Shed is perfectly well and healthy and where it always has been! I think said wiggly tin are the spare sections.

All the best,

Castle
  • Like x 1

#1154 Mr Brunel

Mr Brunel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:10

If you are looking for something to do this weekend - a big shunt has be done to set the scene for Didcot’s ‘Engine Shed Experience’ over the Bank Holiday Weekend. There are other cameos around the shed including the rarely outside No. 5900 Hinderton Hall!

I'm glad to hear that because I was at Didcot a week ago and I spent a lot of time getting "up close and personal" with No. 5900! It was looking very dusty and a bit sad so I gave the loco a thorough clean. It's nice to know that my efforts were worth it, given that it will be outside with everybody getting a good look at it...

• Like x 2

#1155 RJS1977

RJS1977

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 18:19

Hi RJS,

The Railmotor Shed is perfectly well and healthy and where it always has been! I think said wiggly tin are the spare sections.

All the best,

Castle

Thanks, Castle

Looking at Google Maps, I think I'd remembered it as being nearer the Halt than that, and the new signalling centre was hiding it from view!

Richard

• Like x 1

#1156 FraserClarke

FraserClarke

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationOxon

Posted 26 August 2018 - 19:09

I'm glad to hear that because I was at Didcot a week ago and I spent a lot of time getting "up close and personal" with No. 5900! It was looking very dusty and a bit sad so I gave the loco a thorough clean. It's nice to know that my efforts were worth it, given that it will be outside with everybody getting a good look at it...

You'd perhaps be surprised quite how quickly things get dirty in there - one of the authentic steam shed aspects I guess :-\

There is a group, which I'm a member of, who do look after the engines in there. We clean and lubricate them on a monthly basis, do assorted 'conservation' jobs, and try to keep things looking nice for the public and as accessible as possible.  Still, they always look a bit grubby the next month.   You'd be very welcome to join and help out if you'd like -- we even have proper cleaning equipment... PM me if you're interested.

The engines probably looked particularly dusty a week or so ago -- we'd been rubbing down and repainting 5572. It turned everything else in the shed green!! Unfortunately there was no option but to do it in the shed...

edit - smiley killed most of the message first time!

Edited by FraserClarke, 26 August 2018 - 19:24 .

• Like x 1

#1157 Mr Brunel

Mr Brunel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:20

You'd be very welcome to join and help out if you'd like -- we even have proper cleaning equipment... PM me if you're interested.

Ah, I should probably explain that I've been a member of the group for about a year now! I'm Sam Sheppard - you may have seen my name on the Yahoo group from time to time? When I last came, I was keeping the normal cleaning jobs going while 5572 was being worked on, hence I spent most of the day cleaning No. 5900 and No. 3822.

I'm not sure when I will next be able to visit Didcot, as I'm starting postgraduate education in September. I might try and come in this weekend to do more cleaning - I meant to have a go at No. 6998 some time.

• Like x 1

#1158 FraserClarke

FraserClarke

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationOxon

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:57

Apologies Sam! Trouble of matching forum names to real world names :)

You did a good job -- I was back in on the Sunday, and things were again only looking green in the right places :)

• Thanks x 1
  • Like x 1

#1159 Castle

Castle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 18:24

The Good(s), the Bad, and the Ugly?

Hi All,

Well, here is a quick chat about a little weathering project I have just done for a friend. There has been much talk about the pros and cons of the Oxford Dean Goods model but in hand it looks very refined and is very well made. Let’s see what happens when we throw a bit of dirt on it and hope for the best...

The Dean Goods needs no introduction. There were 260 of these machines between 1883 and 1899. It was an early purveyor of the inside framed look and although built without domes and other boiler improvements, they received all sorts of updates throughout their epically long service life. They are famous not only for their longevity but also as providing vital military service in both world wars. A number saw service in foreign parts and not all of them came home again.

By the time nationalisation beckoned, there were still 54 left. They still found use on the Welsh lines as their light axle loading was useful on the lightly laid lines of the area. The final cull due to their replacement by such machines as the BR Standard 2 2-6-0 was complete by May 1957 with No. 2538 being the last in service.

Thankfully, No. 2216 of 1897 vintage is preserved in the collection at Swindon’s Steam museum. An amazing silent reminder of the fact that there was a Dean Goods on the Railways of the UK and in service in many other parts of the world for nearly three quarters of a century. It’s one heck of a record in anyone’s book.

I haven’t done any updates or extra detailing to the outside of Little No. 2532. The project has been inspired for Harry by this picture here of the real thing taking water on Goring troughs on the 15th April 1953:

https://www.rail-onl...14033/h8ed6b97d

The basic instruction I got from Harry was “make it REALLY filthy please!” So I did... It has been fitted with our usual Gaugemaster DCC chip and firebox flicker LED. My usual go to is the Youchoos 2 pin plug to add the wiring to the tender and DCC socket. I usually go in through the drag box on the driver’s side. The construction of this tender doesn’t allow this however as it is solid metal at this point. I had to open out one of the securing screw holes forward of the middle wheel set in order to add the wiring and have it ‘unpluggable’ when removing the tender. Not the best solution but it looks ok if you don’t look too hard.

6A53D4C4-8CA8-4EED-8E0C-276FE70E14A6.jpeg

The firebox doors were opened out by chain drilling a series of holes with a 0.7mm (ish) drill bit in a pin vice. Of you get the holes close enough then you can gently use the drill bit in a sawing motion to link up the holes. The LED is mounted on a small piece of ‘L’ section styrene and there has been a light shaving away of the material at the rear of the firebox back head to allow clearance for the LED mount. The wires were arranged to go out the same way that the existing wiring does. Not much room in this model...

C7A91A62-22FF-4E63-9781-0BD9A7173057.jpeg

Then it was my usual application of brass plates and a coat of matt varnish. All masking was done with Blue Tack and the wheels were removed and done separately. A couple of coats of weathering powders of the right colours in the right places and then another shot of varnish in between each layer. Here are the results!

52C459C1-3403-4E0C-ACA5-50E01DAF24AA.jpeg

7FDA8179-F9E1-4243-82E0-439F148C90BF.jpeg

Well, that’s enough of that. I have been reliably informed by two more of the Little Didcot gang that they too have a Dean Goods and they have suggested that it would be great if they all looked like this wouldn’t it?!

There is and 8F and a Wickham Trolley currently awaiting dirt applications and I’m out of matt varnish so a trip to the model shop is on the agenda...

All the best,

Castle
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 10
  • Like x 6

#1160 M.I.B

M.I.B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationAll over the Middle East and Africa. Or Essex

Posted 14 September 2018 - 18:47

Wonderful weathering and brilliant picture from Goring.

Many thanks.

Was sat with M.I.B Snr last night, down in the land of the Withered Arm, and we are both in agreement that when the big lottery win comes, we'll "new build" a Dean Goods, And a crew coach, BTK, with a kitchen fitted somewhere discrete, complete with a fridge for keeping refreshments chilled............................

What are you doing when Pendennis is finished?

(:

• Funny x 2
  • Like x 1

#1161 Castle

Castle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 19:31

Hi Tinker,

Thanks for the kind words! It is a rather nice picture isn’t it? There is some lovely stuff on that website.

What we shall be doing after finishing Pendennis will be looking after Pendennis until it needs another overhaul. Then guess what? A steam nerd’s work is never done...

All the best,

Castle
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1

#1162 Mikkel

Mikkel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • LocationSomewhat rotten in the state of Denmark

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:47

Lovely work Castle, you have completely transformed it.

• Agree x 1

#1163 jcm@gwr

jcm@gwr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Location..........Stevenage, Herts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:17

The Good(s), the Bad, and the Ugly?

Hi All,

The Dean Goods needs no introduction. There were 260 of these machines between 1883 and 1899. It was an early purveyor of the inside framed look and although built without domes and other boiler improvements, they received all sorts of updates throughout their epically long service life. 

All the best,

Castle

Great job, but I think I might need introducing to that version!   :scratchhead:

#1164 Castle

Castle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:05

Hi All,

Thanks Mikkel!

Jeff - I know! The first twenty were built that way but converted afterwards. If you search on line, the occasional picture pops up of GWR engines of this period built this way. It would sure make for an interesting model no doubt!

All the best,

Castle

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Didcot, GWR, BR (WR), 4mm scale, oo gauge, 12in:1ft