Aldersgate buildings 3

post-6781-0-05364200-1327942534.jpg

I left Aldersgate buildings 2 with the start of the above row of low relief shops and thought I would post a work in progress update for those interested and to encourage me to keep momentum!

That's the shops above and below shows one of the shop fronts starting as a sheet of plastic with the shopfront drawing stuck onto it with pritstick after the window and door openings have been cut out.

post-6781-0-88796600-1327942555.jpg

At the same time I was adding depth to the stucco building on the left of the terrace. This was build up with layers of cornflake box card onto which further copies of my original drawing were stuck and cut out.

post-6781-0-65569000-1327942570.jpg

... and then painted with off-white enamel paint

post-6781-0-06140500-1327942589.jpg

brickpapers were applied and, following this, inside window frames were produced from yet further copies of the drawings stuck behind after cutting out the window centres

post-6781-0-50031300-1327942609.jpg

post-6781-0-03617200-1327942655.jpg

By a remarable coincidence I found an old photo of the pub on the web which printed out to 4mm size (actually my drawings are about 15% overscale) and I could "offer up" the model to it. Some negative points to note are unfortunately that the Georgian windows in the shops and the victorian pub in my model are generally too narrow but too late to change now.

post-6781-0-91190800-1327942672.jpg

post-6781-0-49592300-1327942692.jpg

Below in red is the shop front which started this thread

post-6781-0-35487800-1327942709.jpg

I always know when to stop: I just run out of room on the desk!

post-6781-0-90053500-1327942728.jpg

Thanks for your interest

Andrew

Nice work!

The pictures are a great help to see how you create your buildings.

There are some very nice pictures af the pub to find.

A added a picture of the pub name to my reply. Just as a tryout for myself. I hope you like it.

Looking forward to see more pictures.

Regards,

Job

post-11675-0-46853200-1328380065.jpg

Thanks Job, I am pressing on with the shopfronts and will post when I am reasonably further advanced.

Andrew

I must have looked very dubious the other week when I was over in London, hanging around the pub with a tape measure in the rain working out various dimensions!

A small "postette" after a little more work on the shop fronts.

Although in enlargement, they are pretty "hairy" (I must get some better paint brushes) I am not unhappy with the look of them so far.

In overview:

post-6781-0-08309200-1328457519.jpg

Since we are on the east end of the City, we have a pie and mash shop from a very well known East End family business which is still going today. Pie and mash shops invariably have sash windows as a simple but effective air conditioning system rather than plate glass.

post-6781-0-01637500-1328457545.jpg

A 50s Tea Room which has maintained its Edwardian front.

post-6781-0-82802300-1328457573.jpg

Electrical shop, which I will fill with bulky TVs and radiogrammes.

post-6781-0-23045200-1328457596.jpg

A barber shop which has decided to go modern by removing all of the original shopfront and replace it with the clean lines of 50s design. The name is taken from a barber in Clarkenwell which as young lads we used to visit in the mid 70s in our platform shoes for a nifty razor cut.

post-6781-0-27972900-1328457617.jpg

(in case anyone is distrubed by the listing of the buildings, they are not stuck together yet!)

Regards

Andrew

before I glaze and glue on my shop facades I air brush them with acrylic paint as i was sick of removing brush bristles from them... Fine detailing is done with proper art brushes yes they are dear for what they are but i never have the bristle problem any more.... nice work by the way

Thanks for the tip Darren.

Job, I simply used microsoft powerpoint and then trial and error to pick a font which seemed to match a photographic reference. Numbers as shown in your photo are, in my opinion, fairly commonplace in the period but not absolutely necessary. I have not done any detailed studying on this: I bet someone on the site has though!

Thanks for the link. Like the posters, you always seem to be one step ahead of me which is very helpful!

Andrew

• 1 month later...

I couldn't resist this even though it's a mile from being finished. I stole a part of the retaining wall from another part of the layout to show the effect. Not bad for a first try out I thought.

post-6781-0-71824200-1332874868.jpg

We are moving house so if there is any expression conveying a velocity below snails pace, that's what I'll be doing as far as modelling is concerned. (no change there)

Andrew

Very nice work.

I too use londonshopfronts.com. It takes a bit of wading through sometimes but there's some useful stuff on there, plus you can always pic n mix various aspects from different shops.

Another tip I'd have for signs is to not use white - always go for slightly off white, grey or cream. It just takes the edge off the 'printed from a PC' look.

Hello,

For the use of historical colors used in the 1950's you can look at www.papers-paints.co.uk .

Also a lot of information about historical colors used in the UK.

Can be a great help to find colors for shopfronts and shop signs.

I never use straight colors out of the box for painting or weathering.

I like the setting Andrew.

Regards,

Job

papers-paint...what a great site Job. You certainly come up with some excellent links!

I know the Artillery Lane buildings very well having worked in the area for many years http://schmap.it/p45kcy They are some of the finest Georgian shops remaining in London (the only ones I know outside the West End). I have them on the modelling list for Aldersgate also.

Andrew

papers-paint...what a great site Job. You certainly come up with some excellent links!

I know the Artillery Lane buildings very well having worked in the area for many years http://schmap.it/p45kcy They are some of the finest Georgian shops remaining in London (the only ones I know outside the West End). I have them on the modelling list for Aldersgate also.

Andrew

Hi George

There are some plans available here that might help?

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50173

WW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Very nice work.

I too use londonshopfronts.com. It takes a bit of wading through sometimes but there's some useful stuff on there, plus you can always pic n mix various aspects from different shops.

Another tip I'd have for signs is to not use white - always go for slightly off white, grey or cream. It just takes the edge off the 'printed from a PC' look.

If modelling the current era can I recommend my chum Emily's Flickr stream for inspiration:

http://www.flickr.co...57623444883652/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For choosing paint colours I like to use this site. It is usefull because it actually makes reference to the British standard colours. You can also find the RGB colours by using a small program called ColorPic which can be found by searching for it.

It is easy to make shop signs using the windows paint program, which is included with most version of windows, although the choice of colours may be limited.

Archived