Aldersgate buildings 3

Thanks, the pots are from the stick on a child's balloon (!).  I just wondered if spontaneously they looked right to viewers.  I can do some research but perhaps I am just being lazy and hoping that someone on the forum knows the answer immediately.

A

Guest jonte

Thanks, I might just treat myself to some 4mm evergreen strip.

Andrew

Hi Andrew.

If you consider them too 'chunky' perhaps a spot of light weathering might tone them down a tad? It could be the black that makes them appear a little proud of their stacks.

I used the ones from the Wills Builders Series packs, of which there are two types: tall and, well, not so tall! They're slightly flared with a rim, and come in halves. I thought they looked a little bland on the sprues, but once joined together and painted they looked okay. To my eye anyway!!

I like the parade of shops too. Very good.

Jonte

Question:

Are these chimney pots too wide? If so what should they be in 4mm:ft?

A

There's no such thing as a 'standard chimney pot' larger the flue, larger the pot, but I would have though about 1ft across the top as about average.

Anyway, with superb buildings like that, I wouldn't care what they looked like !

However, for the best in pots of all sizes and all patterns, try the SCALELINK white metal castings - superb and those buildings are more than worth a decent pot or two!

Cheers.

Allan

Guest jonte

There's no such thing as a 'standard chimney pot' larger the flue, larger the pot, but I would have though about 1ft across the top as about average.

Anyway, with superb buildings like that, I wouldn't care what they looked like !

However, for the best in pots of all sizes and all patterns, try the SCALELINK white metal castings - superb and those buildings are more than worth a decent pot or two!

Cheers.

Allan

I have to agree, Allan, Scalelink produce extremely accurate reproductions of a variety of pots, some with cowls. However, at a premium!!

For the number required, it could get a little expensive. I think the Wills series come with at least twelve pots per kit from memory, together with barge boards, stacks, guttering, downspouts and a host of other odds 'n' sods. 

Mind you, mine was a budget build!

Best wishes,

Jonte

When you build buildings as superb as that, you don't go cheap on fittings - those buildings are the best, those buildings deserve the best - why spoil a brilliant model just for the sake of a ha'pennath of tar !

Scalelink also do a nice variety of shop front pillasters, portico's, columns, the lot - get the catologue, priceless, improve your modelling even further by knowing what's out there.

Cheers.

Allan.

Guest jonte

When you build buildings as superb as that, you don't go cheap on fittings - those buildings are the best, those buildings deserve the best - why spoil a brilliant model just for the sake of a ha'pennath of tar !

Scalelink also do a nice variety of shop front pillasters, portico's, columns, the lot - get the catologue, priceless, improve your modelling even further by knowing what's out there.

Cheers.

Allan.

I suppose so, Allan.

I must say, however, that personally I get a bit of a kick out of knocking something up from odds and ends. For me, it's whether the end product looks the part: either bought in or just cobbled together. If I'm happy with them, then they'll do. All I'm suggesting to Andrew is that before you go parting with your hard earned, have a bash at titivating your card tubes. You'd be surprised what dry brushing, washing and dousing of powders can do: even if it is only to hide a multitude of sins!!! (In my case that is).

Nothing lost in the end apart from  bit of time and an 'nth' amount of paint and powder.

Regards,

Jonte

post-18579-0-87766700-1366384368_thumb.jpg

I have to agree, Allan, Scalelink produce extremely accurate reproductions of a variety of pots, some with cowls. However, at a premium!!

For the number required, it could get a little expensive. I think the Wills series come with at least twelve pots per kit from memory, together with barge boards, stacks, guttering, downspouts and a host of other odds 'n' sods. 

Mind you, mine was a budget build!

Best wishes,

Jonte

As I'm sure you'll agree Jonte, you only get what you pay for, and as someone that did it for a living, I had to use the best available if I was to continue a healthy order book.

Brass etched windows at a quid each sounds a lot and is a lot, but nowhere near as much as it would cost to build them - a thousand windows for a large city scene? a £ 1,000.To scratchbuild the same at say 10 quid and hour and it takes an hour to make each one and nowhere near as good?....well it doesn't take a lot of working out - and now take a look at the quantity, and quality, of chimney pots and windows on the accompanying scene and you can see what I mean and In this case, going cheap would have been false economy - apart from driving me mad !

With my greatest respect.

Allan.

Guest jonte

attachicon.gifIMG_0176.jpg

As I'm sure you'll agree Jonte, you only get what you pay for, and as someone that did it for a living, I had to use the best available if I was to continue a healthy order book.

Brass etched windows at a quid each sounds a lot and is a lot, but nowhere near as much as it would cost to build them - a thousand windows for a large city scene? a £ 1,000.To scratchbuild the same at say 10 quid and hour and it takes an hour to make each one and nowhere near as good?....well it doesn't take a lot of working out - and now take a look at the quantity, and quality, of chimney pots and windows on the accompanying scene and you can see what I mean and In this case, going cheap would have been false economy - apart from driving me mad !

With my greatest respect.

Allan.

Respectfully, Allan, Andrew ain't doing this for a living: it's his hobby. It's obvious he enjoys fabricating his own parts - and commendably so. All I'm suggesting is, with his pretty advanced skills as a model maker, and in my humble opinion, he'd probably do a darned good job with what he's already got - not done too badly on it so far has he?

For instance, I'm sure Langley do those white metal shop fronts, and I'm certain Scalelink do too - again, both at a premium. However, Andrew's knocked his up (for wont of a better expression!) from suitably fashioned and scribed bits of plasticard (if I remember correctly - sincerest if not) and what a blinding job he's made of them. Southernboy's done the same with 'Frankland'. Both pieces of top modeling in my opinion. I think what adds to the awe of the models, is that the model makers went the extra mile and made all the parts themselves, giving we arts 'n' crafts challenged types something to aim for. 

Bought stuff's okay, but for me, you can't beat a home made work of art. Especially if "I done it meself"

Bestest,

Jonte

Respectfully, Allan, Andrew ain't doing this for a living: it's his hobby. It's obvious he enjoys fabricating his own parts - and commendably so. All I'm suggesting is, with his pretty advanced skills as a model maker, and in my humble opinion, he'd probably do a darned good job with what he's already got - not done too badly on it so far has he?

For instance, I'm sure Langley do those white metal shop fronts, and I'm certain Scalelink do too - again, both at a premium. However, Andrew's knocked his up (for wont of a better expression!) from suitably fashioned and scribed bits of plasticard (if I remember correctly - sincerest if not) and what a blinding job he's made of them. Southernboy's done the same with 'Frankland'. Both pieces of top modeling in my opinion. I think what adds to the awe of the models, is that the model makers went the extra mile and made all the parts themselves, giving we arts 'n' crafts challenged types something to aim for. 

Bought stuff's okay, but for me, you can't beat a home made work of art. Especially if "I done it meself"

Bestest,

Jonte

Point taken Jonte, and as you say, a blinding job and free from all the pressures of a deadline - modelling for fun is far removed from modelling for a living and when I started I was far happier with my own efforts than I was with a kit in a box  -  and whether it ran as well, or ran at all, was irrelevant ! - and take Peter Denny for example -  Buckingham Central - wouldn't buy anything, made everything, but what a layout, and likewise John Ahearn - without such pioneers, where would we be now ? - we can but stand in their shadows.

Regards.

Allan.

Ah Peter Denny, my modelling hero and of course I saw the Madder Valley at Pendon when it was all housed in a very scruffy shed in about 1970.  

In accordance with the principle of the great British compromise I have bought the Scalelink originals and will shamelessly copy them going forwards with my own bits of tube and scraps of card.  I also get  buzz from coming up with my own solutions but although I am not a professional, the demands of the "real" 1:1 scale world also means that I am on  a time budget so a helping hand now and then with some bought in items is often a good kick off.  

I would really like to be able to scratchbild locomotives and stock in which case I would set the model between 1876 and 1910 but recognise that's for another life!

I appreciate very much your interest guys, highly motivating.

Andrew

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived