Invermire (was More first ventures in O Gauge)

mike knowles

I've also been building a Sealion ballast hopper using the kit from PRMRP, mainly etched brass with a few white metal castings.

I must admit I encountered a number of issues with the kit mainly due to inaccuracies in the etchings. Whilst the basic body parts went together OK the problems started when adding the detail.

Generally the etched holes for locating wire handrails etc were way oversize for the wire to be used but the main problem here were the holes in the bufferbeam for the shank on the white metal buffers to locate in, which were so oversize, parts of the holes were still visible after the buffers had been installed. Also the etch used to locate the hopper door operating wheels was such that when used as supplied the operating wheels were far too low so it had to be removed, modified (shortened) and refitted. I think the wheels are still a mm or so too low but I couldn't face taking everything off again! Then just when I thought I'd got to the last job, attaching the bogies, I found that the cross shaft between the handbrake operating wheels at the end of the wagon fouled the outer bogie wheels to such an extent that the wheels wouldn't turn never mind any thought of the bogie rotating. So again the bogies had to be removed, stripped down and modified to move them 2mm inboard, hopefully the photo below will show this. One advantage of this modification meant that I could reduce the size of the hole for the bogie retaining screw which like the other holes mentioned above was way oversize and allowed the bogie to move forwards/backwards and side to side as it wished! Note this new hole was drilled after the photo was taken.

post-432-0-19563500-1491393144.jpg

Fortunately I had gone against PRMRP's instructions when assembling the bogies by screwing them together instead of gluing/soldering them so dismantling wasn't a problem. I also shortened the bolster by a couple of mm as I felt the bogies were too wide overall and this helped to reduce the excessive amount of sideways slop of the axles.

All of this was a shame, as overall I feel the kit captures the look of the prototype really well, the use of etched brass for the body being a great advantage over thicker resin or plastic alternatives. I suppose in many ways it just shows the age of the kit/etchings. Certainly it came as a bit of a reality check after recently building (in 4mm scale) a couple of the Penbits sprung loco bogie kits. The etches in these kits were the best I've ever come across, it almost "clipped" together. Maybe PRMRP should see if Ian Penberth could redo the artwork for the etches!

Anyway a few photos of the completed model (awaiting painting).

post-432-0-21427400-1491393285.jpg

post-432-0-75539500-1491393297.jpg

post-432-0-06440500-1491393315.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

That 25 cab a few posts back, looks too curved to me. Weren't they quite flat?!

All very impressive stuff. How did you end up with half of two 37s?

Good luck with the knee. I'm hobbling about waiting for a scan.

Edited by Hal Nail

That 25 cab a few posts back, looks too curved to me. Weren't they quite flat?!

All very impressive stuff. How did you end up with half of two 37s?

Good luck with the knee. I'm hobbling about waiting for a scan.

With regard to the 25, as Sean has said much time and effort was spent trying to rectify the incorrect flat front of the Heljan model. Sean was very grateful to the K&WVR for allowing him access to the full size version based there and numerous photos and measurements were taken, all of which confirmed the inaccuracy of the Heljan model. Initial thoughts were to simply substitute JLTRT cabs for the Heljan ones but comparison of these against the photos and measurements taken earlier showed up further problems.

Ultimately the fronts and cab doors from JLTRT were amalgamated with the cab sides, roof and headcode boxes from Heljan to produce the most accurate result. Even so the JLTRT cab fronts had to be "cut and shut" as well and a lot of filling and sanding was required to blend it all together. All brave stuff on a model of this value. Everyone, including myself who has seen the result in the flesh agree it is spot on, however as always one man's meat is another man's poison.

As for the 37 I originally started off with the purchase of a complete but unpainted factory sample model purchased from the Heljan stand at Warley a few years ago for about half of the normal retail price. When it finally got to the top of the to do list and I started to examine it I was disappointed to find Heljan had made the same mistake as Bachmann had done on their 4mm model, i.e. the cab windows were all in one flat plane whereas the two outer windows should be raked back slightly. Also there was no representation of the raised beading around the glazing. Now I have modified a number of the Bachmann 4mm models in the past using the excellent Shawplan etches and laser glaze but alas these were not available in 7mm (are you listening Brian!). So plan B was instigated which involved swapping the Heljan cabs for a set of JLTRT ones again picking up from previous 4mm modelling were I had swapped the cabs on a Bachmann Class 25/3 with those from a Silver Fox version and also combined Lima and Bachmann parts on a Class 40. So a pair of cabs were obtained from JLTRT and measurements showed the swap could be done with a modicum of blending/filling/sanding.

I was just plucking up the courage to saw the cabs off the Heljan model when my son suggested I got the roof and side mouldings from JLTRT as well and ditch the Heljan body completely. This seemed "A GOOD IDEA" which is how I came to end up with a JLTRT body on a Heljan chassis. The Heljan bodyshell, was subsequently sold to offset some of the cost of the JLTRT body. Further detailing of the bogies with the JLTRT brakes, steps etc was just done to further improve the model.

• Like 2

Further to the photos of the Sealion wagon above, one aspect of the model I was not happy with was the buffer heads, being too thick and having a rather domed appearance. Initial thoughts were to replace them with some from Northamptonshire Model Railway Supplies (cast white metal body with turned steel head) however when I tried to remove the PRMRP buffers I found they wouldn't budge having been superglued on (good stuff that Zap glue!). Not thinking I could hand file them and achieve a flat front face I carefully tried trimming one back on my electric disc sander. Resting the wagon on its side on the table of the sander to keep everything square and applying VERY light pressure it worked a treat! See photo below.

post-432-0-85585900-1491679028_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Gents, thanks for the replies. I was actually joking about the class 25! Both locos look great but would be hard to justify if you'd had to buy two full locos to get one. Wouldn't mind trying something similar with the Heljan 47.

Edited by Hal Nail

Gents, thanks for the replies. I was actually joking about the class 25! 

Ha, thanks for the clarification, Sean was a bit deflated when he saw your comment. In fact almost as flat as the front of a Heljan 25! Perhaps add a smiley next time! :laugh:

Glad you like what we're doing though.

Edited by mike knowles

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A quick update on progress and also a note to say you can see all this in the flesh at our (Hessle Model Railway Group's) Open Day this Sunday 1st October between 10:00 and 16:00 at Hessle Town Hall, South Lane, Hessle, E Yorkshire, HU13 0RR. See the thread in the exhibition section for full details of the show.

Anyway, further progress has been made on the signals;

post-432-0-70631700-1506340274.jpg

Work is in progress on the harbour wall using scribed DAS clay for the stonework with vertical timber sections;

post-432-0-76465300-1506340289.jpg

post-432-0-89090300-1506340303.jpg

Installation of point rodding has commenced using cast stools, etches and square wire from MSE;

post-432-0-79653800-1506340332.jpg

And also installation of buffer stops using the kits from Ragstone Models;

post-432-0-78517800-1506340346.jpg

• Like 16

• 1 month later...

The guys at Hull Model Railway Club kindly invited us to exhibit Invermire at their show held over the last weekend. Despite being in a very cold corner of the hall we had a great time and would like to thank the organisers for their hospitality. 

The layout preformed well all weekend and it gave us the opportunity to try out the operating schedule that Sean had devised. By and large this went very well and really captured the types of operation which would have been carried out had the layout actually existed in real life.

Below are a few hurriedly taken photos so apologies for the quality.

post-432-0-32278300-1510598984.jpg

post-432-0-27366100-1510599005.jpg

post-432-0-01666900-1510599032.jpg

post-432-0-28796500-1510599063.jpg

post-432-0-65099500-1510599079.jpg

post-432-0-54367600-1510599099.jpg

Right, playtime over,  back to work on the layout!

• Like 18

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking weathering job on that 37: nicely restrained, but work-stained and a hint of rust. (Also true of the 25 & 26 earlier.)

Cheers, glad you like it. I can't take any credit for it though as it was done by Roger Manton (the guy you see doing weathering on the JLTRT stand at exhibitions). No connection other than a very satisfied customer who I would gladly recommend.

• RMweb Gold

That’s a terrific job Sean did on the 25, too. Really looks the part: takes me back to my younger days, when it was a 25, an 08 or AC electrics of the 81-87 series and 310 emus and not a lot else!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My good friend Sean has been weaving his magic again, this time on the signal box.

It's based on the box at Georgemas Junction (modified to suit the particular requirements of Invermire) and I may be biased but I think it's stunning. The interior details certainly reflect his time spent as a signalman.

post-432-0-01881300-1518863565.jpg

post-432-0-22951800-1518863574.jpg

post-432-0-79281500-1518863583.jpg

post-432-0-27050200-1518863604.jpg

post-432-0-13370000-1518863617.jpg

post-432-0-24030300-1518863626.jpg

post-432-0-61108800-1518863656.jpg

post-432-0-36873900-1518863671.jpg

post-432-0-08294100-1518863687.jpg

post-432-0-35646500-1518863708.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Sean's been adding some more interior detail in the box. 

Firstly, having modelled the tablet machine he thought he may as well have the pouches to put them in, so;

post-432-0-80672600-1519296217.jpg

Comparison with the 5p coin shows that even in 7mm scale they are still quite small!

post-432-0-15315200-1519296231.jpg

Also he's put the signaller's coat and bag on a hook in the porch.

post-432-0-56585800-1519296243_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Mike, you have every reason to be chuffed and biased, Sean has done a wonderful job there, that signal box is a lovely model, it seems a shame to put the roof on it as there so much detail in that interior.

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know I haven't put anything on here for some time but work on the scenic detailing of the layout is progressing steadily. Last night Shaun took this photograph which I thought was rather good so I've included it here by way of an update. 

If you want to see the layout in the flesh it will be appearing at our club's exhibition on Sunday 6th October from 10.00 to 16.00, venue is Hessle Town Hall, South Lane, Hessle, East Yorkshire. I'll start a separate thread in the exhibition section in due course detailing all the layouts etc which will be there.

IMG-20190626-WA0001.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Donw said:

Lovely detail on the box. Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could have the sounds to go with it.

Don

Yeah. The gentle sound of the coach passing by. The bird going in and out of the bird box on the end of cabin. The signaller swearing about having to go up and those steps again with the token!!

• Friendly/supportive 1