LNE Diagram 317/320 BTDTs

benachie

Does anyone know of any photographs of the driving end of the Scottish push-pull conversions of Diagrams 64 and 65 to Diagrams 317 and 320? I was thinking of having a go at converting one of the new Hornby BT4s.

Remember these are not like some English conversions done mostly for the ex GE area. Two were done in 1940/42 for the St. Combs branch but my colleagues in the GNSRA don't seem to know of any photos. I presume the others (and some BC conversions) were for Craigendoran-Arrochar.

I have the Isinglass drawing - usually first rate - but in this case the side window detail is incomplete.

Alan

• 7 months later...

I can help you. I have some images via the NBR Study Group of one of the coaches prior to scrapping in York area from memory. Oddly it has Fox bogies as well. I can also rustle up a copy of S Banks articles on push pull coaches on LNER. The ends, as you guess, are very different and I think it is due to driving position. GER were sitting and NBR were standing so windows are very different. I would also say it was really difficult to get/find this image taking a good few years. I'm a new member but e-mail me and I'll get some copies for you and pop in post.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I posted a few photographs of push pull trailers on a forum in May. A search of forums for LNER Push Pull brings it up. I think that one of these is the photograph that Docjacob refers to (either mine or Sandy McLeans) showing the Craigendoran one in departmental use. The Fox bogies were exchanged for this. It ran with Gresley ones.

best wishes,

Ian

Ian K is right, I think they came from Sandy origionally. Agree comments about Fox bogies, an afterthought in departmental use? Check all the published photos of the push-pull service and count/check the windows as the best clue to Brk 3rd or Brk compo. Some photos have all 3 in the consist. Generally the faced one direction ie away from the loco but I have a very poor image of one facing the other way!

• 1 month later...

Hope this attachment can be opened but its from the ModelRail article and shows one of the ex Fraserburgh-St Combs converted Brk 3rd in sevice on NE Area as E86997E They were sent to Hull area circa 1943. Interestingly it has the small windows as noted before, but Fox bogies, additional steps and guard irons.

post-16796-0-16280800-1351625434_thumb.jpg

Archived