7mm buses?

cromptonnut

Unfortunately, all the diecast models of both buses and lorries produced by firms such as Corgi are all to 1:50 scale. It would be nice if Oxford were to produce some of their 1:76 and 1:148 commercial vehicles in 1:43.

HSB

There have not been many 1:43 scale buses available, either ready to run or in kit form.

I do have a German Mercedes coach (probably 1980s) which is 1:43 scale but it was a dealer special so came in an unbranded box. I'll have alook at it to see if I can locate a manufacturer name - this could give a few leads to other models in your scale.

You could consider a bit of perspective modelling - use a 1:50 scale bus towards the rear of your layout. Make sure no larger scale items are directly beside it.

This site is recommended - will give you a great idea of what's been produced in 1/50 scale (photo's too). There nothing like a Leyland National but i can recommend the Corgi Fleetlines or CSM Metrobuses. These appear on eBay pretty frequently.

http://www.britishmodelbuses.com/Corgi_Classics.htm

http://www.britishmodelbuses.com/CsM.htm

Adding slightly to my earlier post, I do recall seeing a couple of 1:43 scale resin kits although they were of more modern types. One was for a Marshall bodied Dennis Dart. They crop up occasionally on eBay.

There's a company who sometimes advertise in the Gauge 0 Guild Gazette called Watling Street Models. They advertise 1:43 scale buses and coaches, prices are around £185 including delivery though, not sure what's in their range.

Contact number is 01952 641604.

Alan.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if scratchbuilding might be an option for you?

The reason I'm asking is that the Model Bus Federation publish a magazine, which often includes plans of various designs of bus (usually about 4mm scale, but not difficult to rescale).

I don't know if this link (a preview of their February 2012 issue) might be of interest: http://www.model-bus-federation.org.uk/journal_preview.htm.

I'm not a regular reader - but I'd guess that copies could be bought direct (or perhaps even from somewhere like Ian Allan).

I hope this is of some help.

Huw.

There is a very good supplier of 1:43 buses in St Petersberg, Russia http://www.sptc-spb.ru/ scroll through the site to find the buses.

I bought a very good Bristol LS and it was delivered without fuss or delay, moreover it was rather well detailed and the worry over whether I would be satisfied was unfounded. Payment was simple enough by credit card and the item was sent via UPS.

I believe that MRJ may have mentioned them in the past but they are worth finding.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Given the amount of 4mm model buses out there, and 7mm cars and lorries, you'd have thought that buses would have been made by someone fairly inexpensively even if fairly basic and of a few common types.

Lorries are a struggle too unless you want very modern ones, as most corgi etc are 1/50..........quite why they produce all these nice cars in 1/43 & then produce trucks & buses in 1/50 is anybody's guess?

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

The use of 1;50 scale buses on 1:43 scale layouts has always irked me. I've prodded every resin kit manufacturer I can to persuade them the industry needs 1:43 buses but they all come up with excuses why the can't do it. Yet there is one company that has recently started doing resin1:50 buses. Talk about missed opportunity. If the OP really wants a Leyland National and is willing to put up with 1:50th scale, Google "Marsden Models" as I think they are about to release one.

The chaps who are experimenting with 3D cad bus models (shapeways et al) are in a position to go 1:43 but I think the costs rise alarmingly as the size does.

JF

The use of 1;50 scale buses on 1:43 scale layouts has always irked me. I've prodded every resin kit manufacturer I can to persuade them the industry needs 1:43 buses but they all come up with excuses why the can't do it. Yet there is one company that has recently started doing resin1:50 buses. Talk about missed opportunity. If the OP really wants a Leyland National and is willing to put up with 1:50th scale, Google "Marsden Models" as I think they are about to release one.

The chaps who are experimenting with 3D cad bus models (shapeways et al) are in a position to go 1:43 but I think the costs rise alarmingly as the size does.

JF

There's another chap experimenting with 3D CAD stuff in 7mm......me! Perhaps not exactly what the OP wants but a friend of mine owns a Darlington Daimler Fleetline single decker, he's always wanted a model of it and as yet nothing has been forthcoming from the myriad of bus kit producers, so it's on my list of things to produce as a CAD model, having access to it for measuring and detail stuff is the main thing. I've already done a number of trams in 7mill and John is right that costs do increase big time as 7mm is not 1.75 x 4mm, but 1.75 x 1.75 x 1.75, however 7mill model price are not beyond some people.....

Whilst a little off topic, here's a picture of a 7mm resin (steriolithography) Gateshead tram body, gives you an idea of what can be done.

post-7067-0-57725300-1329912535_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Lovely stuff! If a 7mm bus could be produced to that standard I'd be in there straight away (depending on the prototype of course :senile: Did someone say Bristol MW? :whistle: )

Jon F.

Did I mention that ex Selnec half cabs are amongst my favourite buses? :wink_mini:

• Like 1

Bristol MW would suit me too.

Paul R

........ and me!

Mind you, anything Bristol/ECW would go down very nicely ......... especially a Lodekka FLF (Tilling green, new shape grill, cream window rubbers and C-B-C ventilation). Not that I'm asking for much!

United Counties anybody?

Stephen

Below scale buses and lorries in many cases, due to space limitations, won't work on a typical 7mm layout.

(What annoyed me intensely, whilst searching for that elusive 1/43rd scale bus were the idiot sellers on ebay adertising Dinky, Corgi etc 1/50th buses and trucks as 1/43rd scale. :nono: )

I acquired a minichamps Mercedes O 3500 bus as a stand in, - the only real problem is its LHD and I now have german tourists on my early 1950's layout :).

It looks vaguely like a Bedford OB, with a lot of fancy chrome bits and captures the period quite well. The minichamps detailing however is excellent, and in my view worth the cost...

post-6939-0-04104000-1330580526_thumb.jpg

(Minichamps also make some neat German (mainly Opel Blitz and Mercedes) trucks in 1/43rd)