Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Every indication is that these are updated in the sense of having revised bodyshells. Not as in the sense of different mechs, or lights fitted to the previous type of bodyshell. Bit of an own-goal if they aren't.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just noticed on the Bachmann website the Class 40's are due late 2012, Wonder if this will be an updated model?? Hopefully find out more in March when Bachmann annouce 2012 models.

http://www.Bachmann....anchline&prod=4

Gary,

Don't expect anything in the 2012 models about this loco I think it was annouced in 2010 maybe even 2009. From what I have heared is that somebody dropped the moulding hence the delay. Having spoken to various reps i would be very surprised if it didn't appear without lights. Time will tell Oct/Nov , maybe in time for xmas.

Edited by johnd

They can take as long as they want, so long as they get them right this time. For some they are a signature type, and I for one don't want any more false dawns.

Looking at a quantity into double figures, I don't want to be doing much more than renumber, chip, detail (name where relevant) and weather. I've enough EE fun retro-working Type 1s, 3s, 5s and the other Type 4s. :angel:

• Like 5

The class 40 has been laser scanned and we have a brand new loco to look forward to. . about time!! Should be bang on this time with new tooling. I'll have a blue one for starters. .

But have they done all 3 different nose ends.

The class 40 has been laser scanned and we have a brand new loco to look forward to. . about time!! Should be bang on this time with new tooling. I'll have a blue one for starters. .

Citation please. I've certainly not read anywhere else that Barwell have gone to the trouble of scanning a 40.

• Like 2

They can take as long as they want, so long as they get them right this time. For some they are a signature type, and I for one don't want any more false dawns.

Looking at a quantity into double figures, I don't want to be doing much more than renumber, chip, detail (name where relevant) and weather. I've enough EE fun retro-working Type 1s, 3s, 5s and the other Type 4s. :angel:

Inclined to agree 'chard.

In 1966 EE4s and 1160hp Sulzers did practically everything at Bescot apart from shunt the yard. Banking, trippers, coal, general merchandise, oil, steel, parcels, milk, passengerv - everything.

I will need at least one of each in green and at least one blue one

as for lights - if it has sound, it is bound to have lights

Don't expect anything in the 2012 models about this loco I think it was annouced in 2010 maybe even 2009. From what I have heared is that somebody dropped the moulding hence the delay. Having spoken to various reps i would be very surprised if it didn't appear without lights. Time will tell Oct/Nov , maybe in time for xmas.

I would not expect this model to be in the 2012 models, But they may have some more new Class 40's which could include details of any updates they are doing if they are doing any? Its about time and would explian why a model they have allready done is taking so long to come out.,

Would have said four, but then I doubt the Haymarket squared-off centre-panel conversion is likely. :)

More's the pity, but at least this way I'll be able to actually model the 64B Seven, by buying-up scrap Hornby Sad-Eyes and salvaging their headcode boxes, deriving a modification spec and actually creating something unique (ok, several locos strong) for my fleet.

Failing that, and assuming the body isn't a retool, then at least there's a half-decent Lima starting point for D260-66.

I really do hope that this 40 comes with a new body, but after seeing no pre-production photos and reading this http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx (new chassis) I am doubtful.

Please prove me wrong Bachmann

T-T

It did say in last years catalogue that it was a new body - the photos are merely painted samples of the old body for the catalogue, so yes it will be new chassis and body.

The new chassis will have working lights not before seen on the previous Class 40, so a new body will be produced as Ed Farms said, don't think theres any need to worry about that. Who knows in the up coming catalogue we will more than likely see a couple of extra livery options as well as an upgraded Class 20 (whoops that one slipped out).

Bachmann wont run this out without a full range of improvements and that includes the lighting.

Reason I say this is that it just wouldnt make sense to wave it through with just the new chassis given that there isnt far to go now before all the diesels have been released so why invest now only to do a 50% retool when it might cost them much more to do the other 50% 3 or 5 years from now (or from when these come out rather).

Expect fewer all new models now as there isnt much left to do anyway and more refreshers of the existing models with the classes 08, 20 and 25 immediately springing to mind.

Whilst all the 40 noses may not be available immediately i cant see them just running with the 2.

Failing that you dont necessarily have to rely on Bachmann anyway as a retailer might decide to run with one of the other nose end type and run it as a special.

Edited by ThaneofFife

I tend to agree, because recent experience with the Peaks seems to bear this out - the only conspicuous absentee to date being the healed-up ends with marker lights, final format (which the eighties crew get very het up about needing). Nose tool changes really do imply that the main four 40 ends wouldn't be too taxing, at least no more so than the equivalent discs/ split/ twin/ centre variants of the Peaks.

Sorry but the shallow bodyside of the 40's is a far bigger issue than any perceived sin with the Sulzer 2's. The 40 is so unlike the prototype I'm prepared to do something about it (Detailed Lima shell on Bachmann chassis) whereas the Sulzers at leas capture the basic look of the class.

• Like 1

The centre headcode nose is also grotesquely misproportioned. I can't usually see the errors of a manufacturer's ways without comparing against photographs, but this just shouts "wrong" from the rooftops.

Anyway, we're getting a good'un it's to be hoped, so I suggest we leave the previous placeholder alone in anticipation of mass expenditure later this year!