2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

No problems Jeff.

We don't all spend 24/7 on RM Web - work, hobbies and life get in the way.

Looking forward to running this when I get back. 

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Everyone,

my weathered Dukedog arrived yesterday, very pleased with it, still looking for an excuse for the Andover great western shed loco to make a trip to Salisbury on a coal train :stinker:

Can anyone tell me what these bits are for in the extras bag ?

attachicon.gifDukedog Xtras.jpg

many thanks

Juat got around to unpacking mine at last, and fitting the extras/crew/coal and weathering etc.

I sussed out what these parts were and where they went, but what about the circular piece ( 25mm-ish diameter) with 2 grub screw recesses, and the 2  grub screws?

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

DC all the way so no drum-and-bass on my layout!

My DCC chip was actually not fitted - it came in a seperate baggie.

• Like 1

Thanks.

DC all the way so no drum-and-bass on my layout!

My DCC chip was actually not fitted - it came in a seperate baggie.

Are you sure? Usually DCC fitted loco's come with a blank in a separate bag should you decide to remove the decoder.

I believe a loco even fitted with a chip will still run on DC. Certainly my DCC sound fitted models run on DC and even make default sounds (I don't have a plain DCC fitted loco however).

This is one beauty of DCC in that it is (I believe) compatible with DC.

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure? Usually DCC fitted loco's come with a blank in a separate bag should you decide to remove the decoder.

There is a chip in the baggie.  Not a blanking plate.

• RMweb Premium

It should be noted that a Bachmann 21 pin blanking plate looks a bit like a chip.

Below photo shows blanking plate on the left and DCC chip on the right.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks for the photos to confirm.

Blanking plate is definitly fitted, and chip  is in the bag ( and about to get put on Evilbay.)

• 5 months later...

I wouldn't discount this scenario out of hand.

During WWII ambulance trains were routed over the Llantrisant No.1 Branch (from Waterhall Jct - Common Branch Jct.) conveying injured U.S. troops to Rhydlafar Hospital (later The Prince of Wales Orthopaedic Hospital).

The U.S.A.C.  12th. Field Hospital had been despatched to Rhydlafar in late 1943 to establish medical facilities in/around the existing hospital which first opened in 1917, during WWI. Their journey in the UK was by train - but where they left the train, I don't know.

The 12th. Field Hospital were 'relieved' at Rhydlafar by the 348th. Station Hospital at the start of 1944.

The nearest potential railhead to Rhydlafar Hospital was Crofft Y Genau Siding (or as the GWR would have it - Croft Y Guinea) - on the No.1 Branch;  the access road or dirt track from Crofft Y Genau Road  down to the lineside still exists near the road overbridge, but the single ended siding would appear to have been be too short to accomodate such a train.

EDIT:- The siding was facing 'up' trains e.g. those approaching from Waterhall Jct to Common Branch Jct.

EDIT:- The next closest siding was at Pant Y Gored, about a mile further on, but that was closed/lifted by 1940.

I don't know if there was a loop at Creigiau Quarry in those days, so this limits any run-round facilities on the branch.

Logic would have it that ambulance trains from the Channel ports would run through Cardiff General, then Penarth Curve(s) through Ninian Park Halt to Waterhall Jct to access the branch - without the need to run around.

Accessing the branch via Llantrisant and Common Branch Jct would require a run around at Common Branch Jct. (but in fairness would then allow the train to exit the branch at Waterhall Jct. with loco facing the 'up' direction)

As there were no run around facilities at the Waterhall Jct. end of the branch I wouldn't be surprised that trains, having unloaded their injured passengers and medical staff would continue on to Common Branch Jct. and run around there, before travelling via Cross Inn, Cowbridge Road, Mwyndy Jct and regaining the SWML at Llantrisant with the loco now at the head end of the train for the 'up' direction.

Traffic was so light on the branch that such trains wouldn't cause any great interference with the then couple of coal trains and 1or2 stone trains using the branch each day.

The branch saw a few enthusiasts specials over the years, including a SLS special in the early 1950s employing a 64XX and two pre-grouping auto trailers (ex C.R. or T.V.R.).

The TVR also trialled their steam railmotors on the branch before the were put into daily service.

You 'may' find more in the Oakwood Press books "Taff Vale lines to Penarth" or "Llantrisant Branches of the Taff Vale Railway"

Ambulance trains also ran to Creigiau station on the former Barry Railway main line, most probably leaving the GWML at St. Fagans then negotiating Ty'n Y Caeau Junction to reach Creigiau, from where the injured were conveyed by ambulance to Rhydlafar Hospital.

Run around facilities would be available at Creigiau.

Hope this helps.

Brian R

Hi Brian

Just came across your reply I may be able to give you some more info,back about 30 years ago i worked with a Rlf Signalman who worked the branch during the war. He told me as you have already said that these ambulance trains did go via Creigiau for Rhydlafar hospital and everyone was taken by road from there. He told me that the trains then ran empty to Treforest Jct to run round and back via Radyr to Cardiff or Newport docks. 

Cheers GARETH

• 2 months later...

Hi

Apols if covered in the previous 20odd pages... I've just invested in a couple of these. I have one small problem. On both models the front two wheels on the tender seem to lock. Is this a common problem or just a coincidence on my two examples?

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Dukedogs' Route Availability was Yellow. In Bachmann's pre-production photograph the disc was in the later position over the number plate:

http://Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/31-089.jpg&cat_no=31-089&width=650&height=223

Before that, it would have been higher on the cabside. I was just saying that its not being there gives the modeller the freedom to place it in either position.

• 6 months later...

I may have had the model for a while but finally got round to the finishing touches this evening.

Conversion has been done to EM gauge DCC and nameplates fitted, along with a few other changes.

I am please with the results.

post-5096-0-27645500-1463607741_thumb.jpeg

• Like 13

• 1 year later...

Has anyone fitted DCC Sound to one of these models? If so, how easy is it and is there much room? 

I'm current looking at a 55460 ESU LokSound V4.0 8 Pin Digital Decoder GWR Group 3 Steam. The model is 21pin, so will need a 21pin adapter. Is there enough room in the tender for the decorder and adapter, and will it work with an adapter?  

Has anyone fitted DCC Sound to one of these models? If so, how easy is it and is there much room? 

I'm current looking at a 55460 ESU LokSound V4.0 8 Pin Digital Decoder GWR Group 3 Steam. The model is 21pin, so will need a 21pin adapter. Is there enough room in the tender for the decorder and adapter, and will it work with an adapter?  

The 8 pin and 21 pin V4 chips cost the same. If you have not brought it yet, I would go straight for the 21 pin chip. There are no issues running different chips on the same track. Function wise, they are exactly the same except the the 21 pin chip has more auxiliary functions (for example I have purposely avoided using an 8 pin Hornby TTS chip in a Bachmann 21 pin class 47 on the grounds that I may loose full lighting functionality the loco offers).

If I took an 8 pin route in a 21 pin loco, it would be due to lack of space for fitting a speaker and whatever. I would rip out the chip holder and hard wire the 8 pin chip (here it is far easier to hard wire an 8-pin thanks to its harness). That would be prettier than using conversion plugs.

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2014 at 14:05, Coach bogie said:

There is always an excuse (as if anyone needed one) and that is the 1950's was the decade of the railtour and the Earls were a popular choice. My friends, who would not normally run GW have a Truro for the same reason. Using SLS or RCTS headboards from 247 you can have your own railtour.

Some genuine ones and look what the Earls double headed with.

14/6/53. 9000 (with topfeed and small tender)  ran a SLS  railtour from Birmingham(roundtrip) out via Cheltenham, down the MSWJR to Swindon for a works visit. Return via Andover, Basingstoke, Reading Oxford.

One which was recreated last night in the train room courtesy of a couple of visitors. 24/9/55 9027 (topfeed and large tender) with T9 30304 on Talyllyn railtour to Towyn. In our version the Hornby T9 was doing all the work as the Earl could not manage the eight coach train. A silmilar railtour ran on 22/9/56 with a Dean goods 2538 and Southern D 31075.

28/9/57 9021 (topfeed) with L&Y 2-4-2 50781 again on a Talyllyn railtour. They took over from City of Truro. Now there is an engine change to be modelled!

26/9/59 9014 and 9004 (both with topfeed) together on another Talyllyn railtour.

And remember 9017 travelled all the way to the Bluebell under her own steam light engine.

It your trainset - run your own railtour perhaps

Mike Wiltshire

Just a reminder that sheets of print your own SLS tour headboards, 3 designs photographed from originals in the SLS Library, are available in 4mm, 7mm 1:24 and 1:12 from the SLS website headboards page. (Links updated today)

Edited by john new
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have just added a top feed and re numbered my Dukedog. In 1959 2 Dukedogs were sent to Wellington (Salop) for winter storage. In the spring of 1960, one was withdrawn (2004) and 2014 returned to the Cambrian section for further service. As I model in the Wellington area (Trench Sidings) I always wanted a model of one of these 2 locos. 2004 had top feed pipework that was a a bit of a mess so modelled 2014. The top feed was a Modelu item and the pipework was copper wire. My friend Robin Whittle converted the loco to P4 (in return I weathered some locos for him)  following the guide by Pete Hill on the Alan Gibson website. I now need to weather the loco. I have included a photo of 9004 stored at Wellington, but dont know the source of the photo.

David

Top feed painted.JPG

9004 in store at Wellington shed..jpg

• Like 2