2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

This of course really boils down to establishing exactly what or who was the source of the 'smaller wheels' information? And even if it came from a drawing did that drawing accurately reflect what was on the loco? It would for instance be interesting to establish what the scrapping size was of a 3' 8" diameter bogie wheel or of any other wheels of roughly that sort of diameter - 'somebody' might well have found a note referring to the actual diameter of the wheels on the bogie which subsequently went under 3265 as opposed to the nominal size. I hasten to add that is pure conjecture on my part but a clerk unfamiliar with the details might simply have copied, or miscopied, a figure off a file or the loco history card without it occurring to him that it didn't sound right?

Mike,

Joining this a bit late, but I was under the impression that the smaller diameter wheel on TP&P came about after an unknown OO gauge modeller asked what size wheel would be suitable in the bogie of a typical GWR 4-4-0 to allow it to navigate an 18" radius curve. Collett and his staff, who were all intent on developing P4 at the time, very graciously worked out the differences required and replied accordingly. A clerical error somewhere in the Swindon drawing office then compounded a mystery which has puzzled the great GWR scholars ever since!

I'll now go and hide in the fogman's privy

regards

Richard

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Joining this a bit late, but I was under the impression that the smaller diameter wheel on TP&P came about after an unknown OO gauge modeller asked what size wheel would be suitable in the bogie of a typical GWR 4-4-0 to allow it to navigate an 18" radius curve. Collett and his staff, who were all intent on developing P4 at the time, very graciously worked out the differences required and replied accordingly. A clerical error somewhere in the Swindon drawing office then compounded a mystery which has puzzled the great GWR scholars ever since!

I'll now go and hide in the fogman's privy

regards

Richard

What I can't understand Richard is why on earth no one else has been able to come up with that perfectly logical explanation :O :lol: B)

What I can't understand Richard is why on earth no one else has been able to come up with that perfectly logical explanation :O :lol: B)

It is reassuring to know now that history is written by astute scholars with rigorous discipline, especially in matters GWR.

Thankyou.

Rob.

p.s. What is this place called 'Swindon'? Oi've nivver 'eard of it mesself.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Am I correct in saying that the Dukedogs ran with Churchward 3,500 gallon tenders only, or were there any other types? If so, would it also be correct for a 2251 (and another potential tender combination for Bachmann to issue)? I know that Bachmann released a Collett Goods a couple of years back with the "Manor" tender, which I believe is actually the similar-looking Collett 3,500 gallon tender. I can never quite remember the differences between the tenders and which classes ran with which.

Hi.

The most common tender attached to the Dukedogs was the Churchward 3500g type. However several also ran with the smaller 3000g type and 9019 ran with the very small 2500g type for a spell. I do not think any ever ran with the later Collett tenders with the continuous fender.

Roger.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just looked at the AnticsOnLine advert again and noticed that both black versions are "DCC Ready" and the green version is "DCC Fitted".

Am I alone in thinking that only offering one version in green (ie "DCC Fitted") is odd? I would have thought that if 2 versions were "ready" the third should be supplied as "ready"?

(I don't use DCC so I am loathed to buy a decoder only to have to remove it).

• Like 1

Am I alone in thinking that only offering one version in green (ie "DCC Fitted") is odd? I would have thought that if 2 versions were "ready" the third should be supplied as "ready"?

Bachmann tend to offer one model per tooling as DCC fitted now (L&Y tank and D11/2 springs to mind), the 2 black one's are different in appearence - one is as preserved and 1 is weathered so either of these would have had the same situation. They do supply the blanking plate so you can take the chip out and sell it :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They do supply the blanking plate so you can take the chip out and sell it :)

Thanks. Anyone want to buy a chip in December?.......................

I formed the impression that Bachmann had indicated that this decoder would sense the supply and operate happily on either DC or DCC stimulus. Many models offered in the US (even with sound) operate this way.

I don't recall if we have discussed it here in this thread, but I do recall a conversation on the observation that the BR versions are DC and the GWR Green (shirtbutton) version is DCC. It did seem an odd choice. Since Bachmann released two Cities, I'm pretty satisfied for outside framed GWR 4-4-0s right now.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just been checking things up in 'Standard Gauge Great Western 4-4-0s' by O S Nock.

3265 Tre Pol and Pen was built with 3' 2" wheels, as on the 4-6-0 express passenger locos. The author states that he has been unable to find the reason for this, but suggests it might be due to clearances on the cylinders and motion. There cannot have been a problem though as they reverted to 3' 8" when the production batch was built 5 years later.

As for boilers for the bulldogs, they were standard type 2 (and these came in at least 3 varieties parallel, short cone and long cone).

Citys and Counties had standard type 4 boilers.

The passenger equivalent of Bulldogs was the Atbara class (also with standard type 2 boilers). Ten Atbaras were rebuilt with standard type 4 boilers (keeping their original names) and were then included into the City class.

The whole history of the 4-4-0s is quite complicated.

Tom

Yes it's complicated - some Bulldogs received the standard no.3 boilers as previously used on the 36xx 2-4-2T. These boilers were shorter than the No.2 and needed a longer smokebox.

Ian

• 6 months later...
Guest Max Stafford

You know, I quite fancied a token GWR loco for my 'pet' collection. I think this marvellous little beast might just be the one!

Dave.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has there been an update on this?  When is it realistically due now?

Sorry for not following the (lack of) progress with this model - internet connection isn't great where I spend most of my time, and I had resolved myself not to waste precious online time looking into this.

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.  Shame it's taking so long but it does look good (especially without shirtbuttons   :fan: )

post-10306-0-93795000-1363181241_thumb.jpg

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 1

...it does look good (especially without shirtbuttons   :fan: )

I'm inclined to agree, but we'll need to check photos. 3203 was renumbered as 9003 in July 1946 so did that number appear with GWR on the tender? The whistles are probably in the right place for that date, but does it have the correct whistle shield? Did it have a top feed or not (a minefield with boiler swaps)?

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm naming and re-numbering mine to a 1940s  3265 TP&P so if that photo accurately shows what's due to arrive, then I am happy.

Whenever it arrives.