A class 73 in P4 for St. Mary Hoo

Guest oldlugger

Guest oldlugger

Two rather unflattering photos of the bogie side frames from one side of the loco (I'm working one side, loco wise, rather than in pairs). One is nearing completion; the cables still need smoothing out a little to get rid of any slight kinks. Once painted the cables, etc, should look very nice as they are very fine. The steps still need a little cleaning up and these are made from very thin plasticard. I've also started making up the speedo mechanism which, like everything else, still needs refining a little and is just resting on the bogie for the photo; the final position is slightly higher for the upper part of the assembly. The frame that this is sitting on has been pre drilled ready for the next batch of cable brackets, yet to be made. Adding the cables is pretty fiddly and time consuming and of course I laid them in the wrong order! The first set should be the ones running from the sand boxes along the top of the frame, followed by the ones that come off the axle boxes, which pass over the top of the first set of cables. I can assure you that the ones I've done already look much nicer in reality than under the harsh flash light. The axle box cable connectors will be modified a bit to a half moon shape - easier when glued in position like these, rather than trying to hold the little beggars with tweezers!

Cheers

Simon

post-1308-0-35776600-1330264469_thumb.jpg

post-1308-0-40950600-1330264553_thumb.jpg

Guest oldlugger

Many thanks Mike. I'll be posting some more photos shortly as I pick up speed; having completed the cable runs on one bogie, the others will be "easier" as I know what I'm doing now!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Excellent work on the bogie side frames.

I'm impressed that you have made the footsteps out of what looks to be 10 thou. plasticard. I think the top step is thicker on the prototype.

post-8139-0-38844400-1330278587_thumb.jpg

I used etched footsteps on my 73 and added a layer of plasticard to get the thickness right. The attached photo shows what I did. It also shows that I did not get the steps quite level on this side of the bogie.

Your cable runs look like fun! What kind of wire are you using?

Colin

Guest oldlugger

Thanks for posting the photo of your 73 Colin which is very helpful. My cable runs are made from fuse wire size strands stripped from layout wire. Not the best option as it can get damaged easily whilst handling under construction, but once the loco is finished this area won't get touched. Before painting I will check all the wire for smoothness and nice curves. As I mentioned earlier it all looks very nice in reality, and faithfully follows the prototype with the correct number of support brackets. The bogie frame at the motor end of the Hornby loco is extremely complex in this respect and has a maze of wires and the speedo drive of course. The bogie steps are made from two thicknesses of plasticard; the top board is thicker than the lower steps and uprights.

Cheers

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Simon

How are you going to re fix the side frames to the bogies?

Pete

Simon

How are you going to re fix the side frames to the bogies?

Pete

Hello Pete,

I've not planned anything concrete yet but I would imagine a mixture of plasticard spacers with brass rod strengtheners and then the bogie frames glued on; along the lines of fixing the same to Black Beetles, etc. Until I get my P4 wheels from Ultrascale I can't really determine the set up.

Cheers

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Another unflattering photo under flash of the two bogie frames that I'm currently working on. The one on the left hand side still needs more cables and the steps adding. The cable runs on this one are very complicated and numerous! The speedo alone is a complex affair and this also needs finishing off. As usual the frames are just posed in their rough positions for the camera. The speedo drive on the axle, for example, needs to be squared off a bit; this is the benefit of digital photography, it really highlights naff areas of modelling projects, thus allowing us to correct them! I have a feeling that I've placed the bogie frames on the wrong side of the loco, but whatever, you get the idea. I hasten to add that they faithfully follow the prototype for that particular side of the class.

Cheers

Simon

post-1308-0-18896000-1330450136_thumb.jpg

Thanks Colin,

Here is the RMweb link that I've been using as my photo source to detail the bogies (the prototype photos towards the bottom of the link below):-

http://www.rmweb.co....riginal-livery/

Hi Simon,

That is a very good link. The photos of the ED at Brighton show just how much cabling there is on the bogie side frames. Please delete the embarassing photo of my attempt at modelling!

Colin

Guest oldlugger

hi , looks cracking, i didint think the A1 etched body grills were available anymore, ive been after some for ages, where did you get yours from?

Hello Dan,

Many thanks. The A1 stuff was kindly given to me by Colin Parks. Like Colin and others I'm not sure if I'll use them or not apart from the roof grill and fan. If I don't use them, I'm sure Colin wouldn't mind me giving them to you, minus the roof one of course!

Cheers

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Hi Simon,

That is a very good link. The photos of the ED at Brighton show just how much cabling there is on the bogie side frames. Please delete the embarassing photo of my attempt at modelling!

Colin

Don't worry Colin, your photo will stay put as it's not embarrassing at all; your loco looks great!

All the best

Simon

Hello Dan,

Many thanks. The A1 stuff was kindly given to me by Colin Parks. Like Colin and others I'm not sure if I'll use them or not apart from the roof grill and fan. If I don't use them, I'm sure Colin wouldn't mind me giving them to you, minus the roof one of course!

Cheers

Simon

I certainly wouldn't mind!

Colin

Guest oldlugger

Hi Simon, that's some mindbogglingly fine work on those cable runs! You should take up 25kv modelling, after that lot the overhead ''knitting'' would be a doddle! kev.

Many thanks Kev. I've already scratch built fine scale Swiss catenary in HOm (a number of years ago) so I know what you mean!

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Hello Colin,

I'll make the brake shoes and hangers from either thin brass sheet or plasticard and the pull rods from nickel silver wire.

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Does anyone have a good face on photo of the class 73 bogie at the diesel end; the one under the large body grill? Mike's (Meld) photo on page one of this thread is an excellent three quarter view of a loco that seems to have lost its cables down to below the axle boxes. What I need is a broadside view to show the exact cable runs of a loco still in full service and preferably a class 73/0.

Cheers

Simon

PS - still making slow progress on the bogies; two are now more or less finished and I've started on the third.

Does anyone have a good face on photo of the class 73 bogie at the diesel end; the one under the large body grill? Mike's (Meld) photo on page one of this thread is an excellent three quarter view of a loco that seems to have lost its cables down to below the axle boxes. What I need is a broadside view to show the exact cable runs of a loco still in full service and preferably a class 73/0.

Cheers

Simon

PS - still making slow progress on the bogies; two are now more or less finished and I've started on the third.

Simon,

Cick on the pictures if on the Flickr ( white background ) home page and it will become a larger picture on a black background - sometime if you click on the view all sizes and then you 'might' get the option of seeing an even bigger picture area under Original ( unless it is greyed out, then you are seeing the original size anyway ;) )

Try ...

http://www.flickr.co...N07/5724588018/

This one is good as ex-works and highlighted cables etc ....

http://www.flickr.co...ter/5877985894/

or ....

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

or ...

http://www.flickr.co...947/5937555532/

or ...

or ... which is Very Good for what you are after, IMHO ..

And the reverse angle to the previous pic ...

and this .....

If you go to http://www.flickr.com amd just search on 73001, 73002 etc under 'Everyone's Uploads' you will pull up loads of pictures .. 73005 and especially 73006 seem to bring up lots of the end you want and 73006 has some that show both side in Preservation, so some nice clean bogies to look at.

The 73/0's are the only 73's to have the two cables running to the bottom of the axles on the bogies BTW...

HTH

Mike

Guest oldlugger

Brilliant, thanks Mike! Those photo links are just perfect for what I need; the ones towards the end are especially good. Many thanks for posting these and for your quick response. I'll be posting some photo updates in the near future which will include the bogie side frame at the diesel end.

All the best

Simon

Guest oldlugger

I forgot to add earlier today, that I decided to remove the "mysterious" small objects that are moulded to and project outwards from the sand boxes. I couldn't work out what they were supposed to be, but on closer inspection of the prototype, it appears that they represent a cylinder end that in reality is fixed horizontally along the rear bogie inner frames (only the inner ones). As far as I'm aware they are not found on the front inner frames. I suspect it is part of the vacuum braking system and is an air reservoir of sorts.

Whatever, it seems wrong for the front end at the very least, and would not be attached to the sand boxes anyway, and so they had to go. They will be replaced by proper cylinders fixed somehow to the inner frames of my model.

I forgot to add earlier today, that I decided to remove the "mysterious" small objects that are moulded to and project outwards from the sand boxes. I couldn't work out what they were supposed to be, but on closer inspection of the prototype, it appears that they represent a cylinder end that in reality is fixed horizontally along the rear bogie inner frames (only the inner ones). As far as I'm aware they are not found on the front inner frames. I suspect it is part of the vacuum braking system and is an air reservoir of sorts.

Whatever, it seems wrong for the front end at the very least, and would not be attached to the sand boxes anyway, and so they had to go. They will be replaced by proper cylinders fixed somehow to the inner frames of my model.

Hi Simon.

These, now removed bits of Plastic, are representaions of the Air Cylinders for the Loco's straight Air Brakes ( the Vacuum Brake, Dula Brake, Air Brake conotations ONLY apply to the type of braking system that the loco can supply to the train - The loco is always Air braked ). The translation is done with the trickery in the 'Triple Valve' for the Train Brake handle on the control desk, which is seperate from the Loco brake handle, but when released and in use ALSO applies a proportional application to the loco brakes when applying the train brakes !?! Hope you understand that ?? :)

If you look again on page 1 you will see that they are indeed set back and they are visable at both ends of the bogie frame, the rear being more visable that the front, behind the Sand Boxes. If you have a look at the MK6 power Bogies in Colins' CIG thread you will see them more clearly :)

EDIT:- Having looked again at the 73/0 Pictures the Sand box is a different, almost Isocolese shape and seems to effectivly hide the Brake cylinders more effectivly that the Hexagonal ( Sic ) Shape of the 73/1 style.

I will try to find a better 73/0 bogie picture that shows this much better

HTH

Mike

Guest oldlugger

Cheers for the info Mike which is very helpful; I suspected that it was a brake related object; you're right about the different shaped sand boxes on the 73/0 which effectively hide the front reservoirs, giving idiots like me the impression that they don't exist up front!

All the best

Simon

Archived