A class 73 in P4 for St. Mary Hoo

Guest oldlugger

Simon,

Your no more of an Idiot than I am when it comes to looking at that .. I wrote all of that reply, posted, and then had to EDIT it to get it right, :sclerosis:, After looking at 1 Picture somewhere else - D'oh :blink: !

Keep up the good work .... :locomotive:

Mike

Guest oldlugger

A little more progress has been made today making up more cable runs; such fiddly work is a real strain on the eyes and so I only attempt a small amount at a time. I'm now on the third bogie frame with the fourth pre drilled ready for the cable brackets to go in. Ultrascale contacted me in the week to say they are now working on my order so hopefully the wheels will turn up soon. Once I get passed detailing the bogies progress will speed up considerably.

Guest oldlugger

Hello Mike (Meld),

I've been hunting through Flickr for the bogie at the other end from the large body side grill end; i.e. the other end from the one shown in your links on page 3, and can't find any decent shots showing the cable runs for a class 73/0 on this bogie frame on this side of the loco. I know I'm totally ushless in this respect, so any chance of some more of your great links?

Many thanks!

Simon

Hello Mike (Meld),

I've been hunting through Flickr for the bogie at the other end from the large body side grill end; i.e. the other end from the one shown in your links on page 3, and can't find any decent shots showing the cable runs for a class 73/0 on this bogie frame on this side of the loco. I know I'm totally ushless in this respect, so any chance of some more of your great links?

Many thanks!

Simon

Morning Simon.

I will hunt down some more links, but "Flickr has the hiccups. We're looking into the problem right now." is not a message that is helpful atm. :(

Will try again later today .....

Mike

Guest oldlugger

You're a star Mike! There are loads of photos showing this end of the loco but very few, that I can see, giving a clear view of the bogie itself. I have a feeling that the cable layout is more or less the same as the other bogie on the opposite side far end, but I just want to make certain.

Many thanks

Simon

You're a star Mike! There are loads of photos showing this end of the loco but very few, that I can see, giving a clear view of the bogie itself. I have a feeling that the cable layout is more or less the same as the other bogie on the opposite side far end, but I just want to make certain.

Many thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

I still have that Model rail magazine that you gave me with the Class 73 feature. I shall have a look to see if it shows the bogie detail that you are looking for. There is, if I remember rightly, a very good side-on photo of the restored JA type in the article with all the cabling runs picked out in white.

Colin

Hi Simon,

Me again. I have looked at the picture of the Class 73 JA type.

The photo is, unfortunately, taken as a three-quarter shot from the 'large grill' end of the loco. However, the cabling run is quite clear on the bogie that you are interested in (i.e. the bogie with the speedometer cable on the other side), it being painted (or self-coloured) white. The cabling is identical, as far as I can see, to that on the later JB type: the pair of cables run up vertically from beside the sand box, then turn at 90 degrees, running just under the top edge of the sideframe and along behind the footsteps.

The bogies were standard Mk 6 types with all the fixing points cast in place, so the cable runs and their associated fixtures on the JA 73s must have been very much the same as the JBs.

There are minor differences in the bodywork between the two types - but I'm sure you know that!

Colin

Hello Mike (Meld),

Many thanks!

Simon

Evening Simon.

I have been sent this image by Brian Hanson and have his Permission to post it here, copyright remains with him though.

73006svr25jul09copyrigh.jpg

The liquid tank cuts off the front end sandbox area unfortunately, but the two pipes that run there in the picture are to the sander apparatus and the brake cylinder, so excactly as the opposite end of the bogie as seen in this pic ...........

HTH

Mike

Guest oldlugger

Many thanks Colin and Mike for your invaluable help! I really appreciate all your assistance here and the photo is amazing, Mike! Perfect. The picture really highlights everything on the bogie so well, like the complex brake hangers - these look most unusual and nothing like the Hornby/Lima mouldings. It also shows the relationship between the bogie steps and the bogie frames very nicely.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

That latest photo is about the best I have seen of a Mk. 6 motor bogie. I now feel vindicated in saying that the bogie footsteps do not always line up exactly with those on the body!

Is the Lima/Hornby body that you have in fact a JA type? The photo shows the two JA-type grills beside the driver's door which I believe is one of the main areas of difference between the JA and JB 73s. Your body as bought, seems to be correct.

Colin

Guest oldlugger

Hello Colin,

Yes indeed it is a JA body. It's weird because looking at the above photo now I can't see the complex brake hangers anymore as the photo looks much darker than last night! I don't know what has happened?

Cheers

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Hoorah! I finished all the cable runs on the bogie frames today; what a marathon. Now it's onto the inline brake gear and rodding which will be a mixture of plasticard and nickel silver. Then things like guard irons and brake cylinder detail. The final stage of the reconstructed bogies will be the working conductor rail pick ups. I'll add some photos this week (when I get my camera back) to show what I've been up to lately. I thought the fuel tank area would be hard, but compared to what I've just completed, this will be very straight forward.

Cheers

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Many thanks for the excellent detail photos Godfrey; the first two are interesting as they show the bogie cable run differences between the two sub classes of 73.

All the best

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oldlugger

Just to say that I haven't forgotten you all; I am still working on the 73, albeit very sporadically because of work commitments. Also, I don't have my camera at the moment to photograph progress, as a friend has borrowed it. Anyway, I've nearly finished the cable runs and all the new sand boxes. I have just received a set of very nice class 73 test etches from Pete Harvey for the bogie steps which will replace my plastic versions, which Pete's steps are based on. I will photograph these soon and add notes as I build them. They are not commercially available yet. The P4 wheels should also arrive soon.

Cheers

Simon

Guest oldlugger

I've made progress today; all the new sand boxes are in place which is a great relief! I couldn't believe how difficult it was to get the shape right and then secure the little beggars in the correct position. Just removing the existing Hornby moulded boxes was hard enough. I just wish I'd done this before adding all the cable runs, as of course I was happily proceeding with all of this oblivious to the fact that the class 73/0 has a completely different shaped sand box to the later class 73. Don't make the same mistake as me. Once the existing boxes are removed it is very hard to secure the replacements, and the subsequent assemblies are very fragile. Another thing I noticed is that the angled profile at the ends of the Hornby bogie frames seem to be a bit too severe; i.e. the angle is to deep which is noticeable when aligned with the tops of the new sand boxes. I might build this area up so that the tops of the frames are flush with the tops of the boxes, although it is not really visible as it stands.

A start can now be made on the new bogie test etch steps produced by Pete Harvey. These will be replacing my earlier plastic efforts which weren't that great. I'll be adding photos here as I progress.

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Some quite unusual class 73 videos below; the first is onboard a train being hauled by "Perserverance", which has some great arching shots! The second is "Perserverance" shunting wagons at Horsted Keynes, with an interesting free running brake van move! The last is "Perserverance" again, on a spoil train. The wagons in the latter might be of interest to you Colin (Parks)? All in all, very inspiring stuff for fans of the ED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je6cISYjoVw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FMOSSorz4M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTrKs2mhz34&feature=related

I really like this loco and it looks great in retro early BR (chromatic?) blue with its black and silver nameplates. A good subject for a model...

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

That pair of video clips of the 73 and the spoil wagons at the Bluebell Railway brings back memories of circa 1974! (Apart from the livery being from the sixties.)

I am thinking of repainting my 'spare' 73 body in the same livery as sported by the loco there. The shade of blue that you describe as 'chromatic' is interesting. It seems to have been used with or without the grey band at the base of the body sides on the JB locos. I have seen several pictures in books with 73s in this livery - or should I say colour scheme: white roof and cab front window surround, small yellow warning panel and blue bodywork. One picture of particular interest to me shows the Newhaven boat train hauled by a class 73 in 1967 ( page 41 - A Southern Electric Album by Michael Welch). The shade of blue seems to be identical to the coaches i.e. Rail Blue.

Do you intend to keep your model in the original green livery?

Colin

Guest oldlugger

Hello Colin,

I think on the whole I will keep the loco in green, but I do have a spare BR blue body as well so I might swap them around from time to time. I like both liveries very much so it's hard to make a definitive choice. I'm looking forward to seeing your new 73 in its back dated BR colour scheme. As far as your new loco is concerned I'd prefer the version without the grey band; I don't think these engines wear liveries, that are broken up by thin bands of other colours, very well. "Sir Herbert Walker" is a good case here; I think the nice green livery is spoilt by the white band. I do like the two tone grey sector livery though.

All the best

Simon

Hi Simon,

One thing I will do with my 73 'new' body is to remove the slots in the glazing moulding which hold the body to the chassis at each end. It is much easier to remove the body without them. The two clips on each side of the body hold everything together well enough and especially if you want to swap bodies around in the future.

Re. glazing: Having looked again at the moulded glazing as fitted to the Hornby model, I think it looks better than some of the alternatives available, so I am leaving mine as it is this time. Beware if you do want to remove the factory-fitted glazing though- it's held on with a very strong glue and the clear plastic is quite brittle!

Colin

Guest oldlugger

The first photo of Pete Harvey's new class 73 etched bogie steps (tests). Over the next few days I'll be putting these together and assessing them. If all goes well Pete plans to produce them commercially in the neat future.

Cheers

Simon

post-1308-0-59298900-1333553840_thumb.jpg

Guest oldlugger

A series of photos showing the gradual assembly of Pete Harvey's new class 73 bogie steps made from nickel silver. So far I have made up three which all need a bit more tweaking and cleaning up.

Each step is made up of three components; the main one being the fold up outer uprights and lower step, with the middle step, and top foot board making up the rest. The fold up part of the assembly has two locating "pins" on the upper rear as part of the etch; these then fit into pre drilled holes in the bogie. This is a very good idea and makes attaching the final structure onto the bogie much easier and stronger (than just glueing the steps straight onto the frames); likewise this method of attachment means there is no unsightly glue on the frames themselves afterwards. I soldered all of my steps and found no great difficulty in this as the proceedure is aided by half etched locating slots on the insides of the uprights, and on the bottom of the top foot board.

The only two things I would suggest to Pete is first, perhaps not have retaining half etches on the bottom step, as these are slightly tricky to remove whilst making sure the uprights aren't filed inadvertently; maybe that's just me. And secondly, adding the distinctive checker plating on the step surfaces.

For future purchasers of the steps it would be wise to pre drill all of the holes in the bogie sides first, for the cable brackets and the bogie steps, before adding anything else; it is very hard to precisely drill the locating holes for the steps with loads of fine cable already in situ! Luckily I've managed to do this with all the cables in place - not easy though. Anyway I can wholeheartedly recommend Pete's steps, as they are very fine and neat... and strong!

The very unflattering photos under flash do not do justice to Pete's very nice etches; or for that matter the cable runs on the bogies. In reality both look very fine and neat and once painted up will look very nice indeed.

post-1308-0-02977600-1333726061_thumb.jpg

post-1308-0-33977900-1333726107_thumb.jpg

post-1308-0-70043400-1333726149_thumb.jpg

post-1308-0-29083700-1333726197_thumb.jpg

post-1308-0-92217700-1333726245_thumb.jpg

post-1308-0-43478500-1333726300_thumb.jpg

post-1308-0-60330700-1333726355_thumb.jpg

post-1308-0-83783400-1333726402_thumb.jpg

post-1308-0-58411700-1333726445_thumb.jpg

Archived