A class 73 in P4 for St. Mary Hoo

Guest oldlugger

Guest oldlugger

Too true Griff; Lima did a cracking tooling job with the 73. Even the moulded handrails and grills look very good... almost too good to remove. Now the underframe details and buffer beams have been painted it's all starting to look pretty convincing.

Guest oldlugger

Hi Simon,

That 73 looks very good in green!  The excellent work on the chassis has certainly been worth it!  I might try and knock out another set of air horns for your second body this week.

All the best,

Colin

You read my thoughts yet again Colin! I was going to ask you if you'd mind turning some more horns for me (there will be some nice wine from France for you as we may be back in Llanddewi in May!).

All the best

Simon

You read my thoughts yet again Colin! I was going to ask you if you'd mind turning some more horns for me (there will be some nice wine from France for you as we may be back in Llanddewi in May!).

All the best

Simon

Hi Simon,

I look forward to seeing you then. 

The horns will go by post.  I have just been servicing the lathe, which should make the turning of the horns that bit easier.  I am going to make a few sets while I am at it forsome  forthcoming projects.

Al the best,

Colin

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to say the BR Blue version is absolutely stunning it's going to be a shame when you paint the bogies as they are simply a work of art and I would love to see a video of it collecting the juice from the conductor rail one day ?

But in the mean time I'm just going to bin my 73's and continue to drool over this masterpiece..

Keep up the great work looking forward to the next installment 

Colin 

(Cov Guard)

Guest oldlugger

I'm going to say the BR Blue version is absolutely stunning it's going to be a shame when you paint the bogies as they are simply a work of art and I would love to see a video of it collecting the juice from the conductor rail one day ?

But in the mean time I'm just going to bin my 73's and continue to drool over this masterpiece..

Keep up the great work looking forward to the next installment 

Colin 

(Cov Guard)

Too kind Colin! Don't bin your class 73's; it would be great to see some photos of them here on this thread if you have any pictures? I know what you mean about the painting of the bogies, after all that effort (I've lost track of how many hours) it does seem a shame to gunge it all up, but then the real things were usually pretty grubby in BR days and covered in brake dust, oil, etc. I'll have a go at a video of the pick ups in action at some stage.

All the best

Simon

Hi Simon,

The 73 looks excellent. If you are going to leave it green, E6001 had oval coach buffers at least until it crashed in 1972, by then it was in standard blue livery. Also by Feb 1967 it had a grey band at solebar level. Hornby have used far to much yellow on the warning panel, it should stop on the front of the loco and not wrap around as in their rendition. The books I have used when making my ED's are The Power of the Electro Diesels and the Electro Diesels an illustrated history both by Colin Marsden. There are plenty of photos of it in these books. I hope this helps.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Guest oldlugger

Hi Simon,

The 73 looks excellent. If you are going to leave it green, E6001 had oval coach buffers at least until it crashed in 1972, by then it was in standard blue livery. Also by Feb 1967 it had a grey band at solebar level. Hornby have used far to much yellow on the warning panel, it should stop on the front of the loco and not wrap around as in their rendition. The books I have used when making my ED's are The Power of the Electro Diesels and the Electro Diesels an illustrated history both by Colin Marsden. There are plenty of photos of it in these books. I hope this helps.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Many thanks Ian. From photos of green 73/0s I could see that the yellow warning panel was wrong. I haven't started to work on this body yet as I'm concentrating my efforts on the blue one for the moment, which will be the main guise of the model, but with occasional appearances of the green version.

All the best

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Many thanks Colin for the horns! Well, yesterday evening I finally finished constructing the bogies bringing to an end the chassis conversion which started just over a year ago (with a big gap in between). Not a moment too soon as I was getting totally fed up with it (things breaking and having to be replaced, etc); so a momentous occasion in a very small way! Today I gave the bogies their first coat of paint which was a difficult job, with all the tiny and fragile pipes, cables, brakes, tight clearances and what have you. I will then start on the weathering proper over the whole chassis, and with a bit of luck you may see some photos of the getting close to completion loco over the weekend.

Hi Simon,

Looking forward to seeing the painted 73. 

Having seen that b & w photo of yourself  in your most recent posts, I fear the class 73 project has aged you somewhat.  I'm sure you had more hair than that when I saw you in January and that haunted stare - it looks like that of a man who has just realised there is yet another cable run to put on the motor bogies!

All the best,

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Simon, what a great topic to follow, i really admire the details, a little question, is there a specific knack for removing the power bogie from the chassis ?  (As i really struggling to a remove one).  

Guest oldlugger

As requested by Pete, here are some more recent photos of the class 73; some showing it running on my layout St. Mary Hoo, with the pick ups working on the third rail in the last shot. Also in the last shot you can see that the pick up support assembly still needs painting to make it virtually invisible. You can just see the engine room interior detailing through the window (the glazing here needs cleaning, hence the lack of clarity). The loco now has a blue roof which I think suits the class more. The model now has etched middle body grills with full detailing behind; these will be painted a dark brown colour soon. They actually look much nicer than they do in the photo and you can clearly see the detail behind. I have also added an etched roof fan grill and fan. I will eventually change the headcodes and add brass handrails around the front of the loco. The very fine air horns were turned from brass and made by Colin Parks (the same ones he uses on his scratch built EMUs. I will also replace the moulded lifting lugs on the lower body with plasticard versions, that are the right shape and have a hole through them.

post-1308-0-41143300-1365522989_thumb.jpg

post-1308-0-98860900-1365523392_thumb.jpg

post-1308-0-26742100-1365523406_thumb.jpg

post-1308-0-32067000-1365523420_thumb.jpg

Guest oldlugger

I have three class 73's I have resprayed into BR Blue what colour would the removable roof sections be painted blue or brown fibreglass colour ?

I have looked for roof pictures of 73's but i cant find any on flicker

Hello Cropton48,

I think they were usually a semi transparent dirty honey colour. There's a good shot of a br BLUE class 73 roof on my St. Mary Hoo layout thread around page 41 I think.

Cheers

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Simon, what a great topic to follow, i really admire the details, a little question, is there a specific knack for removing the power bogie from the chassis ?  (As i really struggling to a remove one).

Hello 47164,

It is a pain removing the bogies from the Hornby version of the loco. The split black plastic clips sticking out of the chassis housing will need a pair of pliers to squeeze them together whilst pushing downwards gently. The bogies should then drop out, but be careful! The plastic is quite hard to grip with the pliers due to its oily nature. The Lima version is easier I think and uses screws and a clip?

All the best

Simon

Hello Cropton48,

I think they were usually a semi transparent dirty honey colour. There's a good shot of a br BLUE class 73 roof on my St. Mary Hoo layout thread around page 41 I think.

Cheers

Simon

Thank you Simon

I looked on Google to try and find some roof shots but i couldn't find any useful photo's

Many Thanks Andy

Simon, many thanks I shall keep trying as it is a right pig.

The Lima removal is a piece of cake ,and by some quirk the 73's I have are the smoothest running lima products i have come accross, weither that is down to luck,prolonged running or the weight distribution in the chassis  ? i wonder if any one else shares the same experiance. 

Archived