New Series: Monday 20th Feb BBC2 "The Tube"

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Starting next week (Monday 21:00) on BBC2 is a six part series called "The Tube"

Does anybody know whether this is completely new or related to the similarly titles series which Sky ran a few years ago?

Cheers

Keith

Keith - this one looked new to me - for instance there was footage in there of the new S stock?

I thought it was a good watch too - and (as with the 'toughest place to be a' on a couple of weeks back) it was nice to see something done from a perspective of folk doing their jobs in (frequently) trying circumstances rather than trotting out old memes about how awful UK transport is...

• RMweb Premium

I found this much better than the C4 programme "Confessions from the Underground" which was one of their usual "kick em - they're an easy target" type exposés that they seem fond of.

I was amused by the Russian cleaner who came to the UK expecting to find us polite and well mannered and found out, especially on a Friday night, the complete opposite ("This is a call for the cleaner - Code 3 in booking hall" :scratchhead: )

Question for the infrastructure types:

Do LU use the same weight flat bottom rail as NR? We saw FB being used with Pandrol? clips at Harrow on the Hill.

Lets hope the rest of the episodes are as interesting.

Keith

I watched it on iplayer last night, found it very entertaining. Saw two of my workmates on there briefly too - the "electricians" (they will love that title, being Comms Engineers!) repairing the broken Connect radio cable at HOTH. Recognised most of the LU staff on there too, and a few of the contractors as well. I actually thought it was better than the last series, how long is this one on for?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I watched it on iplayer last night, found it very entertaining. Saw two of my workmates on there briefly too - the "electricians" (they will love that title, being Comms Engineers!) repairing the broken Connect radio cable at HOTH. Recognised most of the LU staff on there too, and a few of the contractors as well. I actually thought it was better than the last series, how long is this one on for?

Stewart

It's a six part series, nothing to do with the Sky one apparently.

Keith

I really enjoyed it and felt it showed LU in a good light which, given the disruption caused by the ongoing works, is probably no bad thing. My personal favourite was the people being woken up at the terminus.. something an epyleptic friend of mine is scared of doing.......

In Her case though the terminus would be Euston................. the intended stop... Coventry!!!

• RMweb Premium

Just watched it on iPlayer - one of those BBC programmes that makes the licence fee worth it!

It made me appreciate the hard work that the engineers put in to renew track over a weekend and not just the track guys but the signals guys who have to rewire the signals afterwards.

The well chosen last words go to the Liverpool Street supervisor, "I don't think any customers are really aware that the track was pulled out, replaced, ready for them on Monday morning. They haven't a clue what has happened over the weekend. They just want to get to work. don't they? That's all they want. There's a lot of people in the background that you don't see or hear from that are working very hard to make that happen."

One thing that intrigued me with the track relaying - at Railfest in 2004, Jarvis demonstrated a train that could lift or lay up to quarter of a mile's worth of track panels on an adjacent line in under twenty minutes (though connecting the panels together obviously took longer). Yet LU were laying sleepers and rails individually. Do they not have access to this particular bit of kit, or can it not be used in stations?

• RMweb Premium

^^^

I imagine that the Jarvis kit works best on plain line stretches rather than station areas with pointwork in the way. Even then there is all that work to do to disconnect the signalling, point control wiring, power cables etc before work can start and the reconnection of said at the end.

Saw part 2 of this programme last night and it was another interesting one. I was intrigued by the idea of the new trains being "pushed by a diesel loco" all the way from Derby to London, especially as the loco was an 08! It seemed to have changed into a class 20 by the time it was being delivered.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Saw part 2 of this programme last night and it was another interesting one. I was intrigued by the idea of the new trains being "pushed by a diesel loco" all the way from Derby to London, especially as the loco was an 08! It seemed to have changed into a class 20 by the time it was being delivered.

Ed

Yes, that was the 'quote of the year' (so far) I think - but then we did indeed see it being pushed into the depot at Neasden, complete with 100t RTC adaptor wagon, so perhaps the production team really did conclude that it was pushed all the way from Derby to Neasden?

Anyway I thought it was a good programme which presented LUl and its staff in a very sensible manner.

• RMweb Premium

The delivery of tube trains brought back memories of earlier times (1950s) when new BRCW tube stock was delivered up the GW main line from Smethwick to London usually with something like a "Grange" up front, barrier vehicles either end of the tube stock and brake van on the end.

They normally ran on the fast lines through Birmingham and at a reasonable pace.

How were they braked? I assumed tube stock was air braked or was it vacuum?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Just watched the latest episode tonight including the Emergency Response Unit and 'One Unders'. Was rather stumped as to why during the 'One Under' towards the end all the station signs were pixilated out yet it was blatantly obvious that it was Euston!

• RMweb Premium

Was rather stumped as to why during the 'One Under' towards the end all the station signs were pixilated out yet it was blatantly obvious that it was Euston!

We seem to get a lot of this these days:

Employees with their company's jacket badge fuzzed out but quite clearly seen getting into the company van!

Removal company names blacked out in property programmes but lots of packing cases emblazoned with their name

and occasionally signs on walls blacked out in one camera shot and clearly visible in another (the commercial channels are good at that!)

Keith

We seem to get a lot of this these days:

Employees with their company's jacket badge fuzzed out but quite clearly seen getting into the company van!

Removal company names blacked out in property programmes but lots of packing cases emblazoned with their name

and occasionally signs on walls blacked out in one camera shot and clearly visible in another (the commercial channels are good at that!)

Keith

Maybe it's to hide continuity errors? I remember there was a McGyver film in the 90s where he went through the entrance to South Ken station and wound up on the platforms at Aldwych. In both shots the names of the relevant stations were clearly in view. A case for pixellation?

The way this programme dealt with fatalities was excellent, the best I have ever seen on TV. Hopefully more people now realise just what is involved when these horrible incidents occur, and how dedicated are those, both railway staff and the Emergency Services, who (quite literally) have to pick up the pieces.

• RMweb Gold

I have the greatest respect for the staff and emergency workers involved with this type of incident, they must be under enormous pressure to reopen the system as soon as possible but dealt with the truely horrid situations in a very calm, professional and respectful manner.

What struck me though was the fact that they manage to reopen the line within around an hour or so, if there was a fatal road accident it seems the road can be closed for many hours for investigations to take place. Presumably the quick reopening is down to the fact that CCTV & black box recorders gives all the evidence needed?

Archived