Magwatch: Hornby Mag # 57 March 2012

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I don't know why there are still no posts for this month's mag (perhaps Phil Parker is on holiday), so here are the contents. Sorry, no cover pic...

Update: new model news

Model Rail Scotland preview and list of exhibitors

Layout: Market Weighton - steam era 00 (1955 - 1965)

Bach-to-basics: Baseboards

Modifying the Bachmann Derby Lightweight DMU

Building a "Whale" ballast wagon

Update on RTR 00 models avialable/not available - Steam and Modern Image

Letters

Carriage Weathering

Layout: St Stephens Road 00 (1952 - 1962)

Which is the best DCC system for me?

Reviews: Hornby Brighton Belle / Hornby B1 / Bachmann cl 350/1 Desiro / etc

Reality Check: BR EMI Electrics

Layout: Nine Mills N gauge (1950s - 1960s)

Staff Projects

Railway Realism: Bridges pt. 2

Not a bad issue, but regurgitation from the Yearbook commences, with 8 pages of St Stephens.

Jeff

Not a bad issue, but regurgitation from the Yearbook commences, with 8 pages of St Stephens.

Jeff

Agreed not a bad issue overall, and, as I haven't purchased the Yearbook, not to bothered by any regurgitation, although I do wonder whether St Stephens Road is an attempt to set a new record for the most fiddle yards(4?) in a relatively compact space.

Should anyone be interested, the Market Weighton layout has now found a new home and will be moving to Pickering in the future. The new owner intends to set it up in a dedicated building and it will be viewable in due course.

steve

• Administrators

I don't know why there are still no posts for this month's mag (perhaps Phil Parker is on holiday), so here are the contents. Sorry, no cover pic...

Sorry - quite the opposite. It's half term this week so the theatre I work in has been busy. I've seen Happy Feet 2 twice and War Horse 3 times. That plus blood donors, weightwatchers, a broadway show thing and at least two others. No time for model making either !

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Sorry - quite the opposite. It's half term this week so the theatre I work in has been busy. I've seen Happy Feet 2 twice and War Horse 3 times. That plus blood donors, weightwatchers, a broadway show thing and at least two others. No time for model making either !

Phil

Oh, dear! Well, sorry Phil, I can't quite fill your shoes - especially as I was unable to provide the "obligatory" cover pic!

I'm sure the films will have given you plenty of modelling inspiration!!

Jeff

I had a quick flick through this latest issue in Tescos yesterday. I don't often buy it and unfortunately I can't agree with others that it has been improving over the recent months. In fact the batch I looked at all had very darkly printed photos with a lurrid purple cast. The mags stayed on the shelf and the money stayed in my pocket. My recommendation is to avoid, but each to their own.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Jeff

I was very disappointed with this. I could see some slight justification for reprinting material from last

year in the current yearbook (although I wouldn't really approve of that) but definitely not this

way round. Even the yearbook was a bit underwhelming this year, so on this basis I'm not sure

I'd bother with the next one.

Good to see Market Weighton though.

• RMweb Premium

I was very disappointed with this. I could see some slight justification for reprinting material from last

year in the current yearbook (although I wouldn't really approve of that) but definitely not this

way round. Even the yearbook was a bit underwhelming this year, so on this basis I'm not sure

Glad to see someone else shares my point of view.

Jeff

I got all excited lat night reading the wishlist article. In the mainline diesels table it states that the class 37's were first built in 1958 - so a green one could appear on Summat Colliery. All other sources on the Internet say 1960 sad.png

That table is hopeless. There are far too many errors in what purports to be a factual article. Did NBL really build 158 Class 21s? The build totals for classes 25 and 27 are also wrong, as are some of the class introduction and withdrawal dates.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

Good to see Market Weighton though.

Yeah, I've given up buying yearbooks now, the first was a re-hash of the first year's magazines, the second was largely new material - that was subsequently re-used in the next year's magazines, the third yearbook was a re-hash of the previous year's magazine....there's a pattern developing!

April edition landed on my doormat today, can't do a contents list yet as I've got a VAT return to do, and half the neighbourhood's tellies to retune, as it's stage one of DSO here today :-/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived