Standard gauge industrial modelling

Dear all,

I have recieved a PM asking if we could have a modelling section in this group! Although creating new sections is, obviously, not within my control anyway, I had to point out that this section is for modelling and prototype.

When I made the banner (gone since the forum was off-line) it said something like Modelling - Prototype - Locomotives - Wagons - Systems. So there was no doubt about what the section could feature but as this is no longer in place I can see why someone could think that it's only about prototype discussions. We don't seem to have many actual modelling topics in here and, in fact, there are only two layouts in the whole section!

Come on, chaps and chapesses, there must be more layouts out there and more projects being worked on that could be featured here, surely?

Come on, chaps and chapesses, there must be more layouts out there and more projects being worked on that could be featured here, surely?

There's my project which will be starting in earnest this year about which I've posted in this section as it seemed the more appropriate area given it's very industrial theme in North Lincolnshire.

I've got a few steelworks internal user scrap wagons on the go at the moment that I'm doing for a layout if I ever get round to it, scratch built bodies on old under frames and an ex br class 04 detailed as an industrial example, I'll try and upload some pics tonight

Mophead

Oh,wow, I wasn't expecting that!! That is a lovely model, scratchbuilt I presume, and who cares that it never saw NCB service!!

I did detect a strong Manchester Collieries connection, the shed looks like Walkden, the Kerr Stuart (Francis), and the weighbridge reminded me of the one that stood by the East Lancs overbridge, just south of Moselely Common colliery (though I guess the design was widespread).

I spotted the distinctive shape of the bunker and it reminded me of the larger Nasmyth Wilson 0-6-0ST's (was one named Ellesmere?) which is why I asked. It was my local colliery system as a lad so I've always had an interest in it.

PGH and Debs, I think that you should both start dedicated threads, certainly if you've got more photos and information. I'm sure that there's plenty of interest that both would generate.

Thanks for the information regarding 'Katherine', very interesting. That guy coach shows some promise!! :D

Yes, the larger Nasmyth Wilson 0-6-0ST's are not the most attractive locos, hulking great things, unlike the two smaller ones, Violet and Madge, which were much better proportioned. They'd all make interesting models though. As would their 0-8-0T's Maden and Emmanuel Clegg, again, not conventionally attractive, but certainly different.

As for curved windows, I have thought of a method, though I've never tried it. Essentially you cut the window line, so a 'J' shape, into both the cill and lintel. It might be easier to make each as a front and back with the profile their shared faces. The 'glass' itself is cut over deep so that both top and bottom edges slot into the 'J' grooves to form the profile.

• RMweb Premium

re request for details of more s.g. industrial layouts, here is a few photos of my 7mm scale NCB layout which may be of interest

That is superb, I particularly like the ground cover/ballasting. Always a difficult area to model effectively, yours looks spot on.

Thanks, Dave.

There's the Stafford Railway Circle's industrial layout New Haden Colliery featured in the last RMweb MI online magazine, links for photos and info on the layout can be found through the Staffordshire Finescale Railway Modelling Group's blog pages here http://staffordshirefinescale.wordpress.com/new-haden-colliery/

I have a thread going in layout topics progress is a little slow at the moment (I spend to much time on rmweb!! lol) a few pics to hopefully whet your appetite

Little Phili

008-1.jpg

No59 stands in a mock up of the two road running shed

LittlePhilisheds004.jpg

The shed is almost complete I have started the signal box and it is coming on well so I hope to put some photo's up in the next week or so

LittlePhilisheds001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Arthur

Its the Manchester Collieries Manning Wardle 0-8-0T KATHARINE - out of period for the layout, as the prototype was scrapped pre NCB, which is why its hiding in the shed !

Hi, could you please let me know where you can get the fellow with the shunting pole from or what company makes them?

Thankyou.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few - I'm not an accurate modeller, but if I can capture a bit of atmosphere then I'm happy enough...

A few snaps - click for a bigger view if need be....

Cement Quay on the extension:

post-6681-0-15148400-1333296840_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-60816700-1333297709_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-96571000-1333296835_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-24930600-1333296850_thumb.jpg

Brewhouse Quay:

post-6681-0-99346900-1333296842_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-64547300-1333296847_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-25741600-1333296969_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-65089300-1333297393_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-45311000-1333296845_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-33099500-1333297162_thumb.jpg

Combwich:

post-6681-0-12812100-1333296838_thumb.jpg

And finally a Super D which would be far too heavy and big for such a spot, but it looks the part!

post-6681-0-59512000-1333297513_thumb.jpg

A couple taken last night, this time of a Hunslet called 'Radstock' which is a messed about with Hornby J94. Access to the motor means there is a join along the base of the saddle tank, I might rework access to the motor to get rid of it - though as always it looks better in real life. Posh people would change the chassis, but I'm mechanically inept and this one runs really well as it is. The huge buffer heads are to avoid buffer lock on my other layout Brrwhouse Quay. Gibson ones more or less swap in place of the tiny Hornby ones. I chemically blacked them with Nickel silver blackener, the result is slight corrosion - a happy accident gone good!

post-6681-0-76001600-1333349875_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-01577100-1333349879_thumb.jpg

I'm in the process of reclaiming some of the water on CQ to allow more extensive gravel works.

post-6681-0-05274900-1333350020_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Having managed to get my Impetus Bagnall to a stage where taking pictures of it was worthwhile, I fished around in the stock boxes for the other two Impetus loco's in my collection.

First is this little Fowler diesel which I've detailed in this thread, so it isn't exactly 'new' to the forum, but it does look nice in the sunshine.

post-256-0-43796100-1334656549.gif

post-256-0-94505200-1334656570.gif

Second is this Hunslet 15" 0-6-0ST which I acquired in a built, and just about running, condition from a family friend who was finally abandoning EM in favour of O. A re-fit, full strip down and rebuild later...

post-256-0-30587800-1334656876.gif

post-256-0-61068400-1334656891.gif

Hope you like folks.

Adam

When you strip the 15" down we can supply you with a better chimney and a dome with the safety valves the right way round.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

Hi Mike, this was stripped down, actually, now I think of it, about six years ago and all the bits are as Impetus supplied them. That said, the chimney is really rather naff and now you've pointed out the safety valves (which I should have picked up on earlier), they're going to have to go and a new smokebox dart would be good... Still, the opportunity to have another go at the lettering can be no bad thing. I'll drop you an email.

Adam

• 2 years later...

What happened to this thread?  Surely we've had plenty of Industrial Modelling going on in the past nearly 3 years?

To get things moving again, here's a couple of shots of 'Enigma Engineering' which is coming out of hibernation at Expo EM North in September.

post-807-0-88976900-1421590447_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-20815900-1421590406_thumb.jpg

The 'grassy areas' at the front are now scenicked with a canal basin and a scrap yard.

Archived