GWR post and wire fencing

Re6/6

• RMweb Premium

On the Kingsbridge branch old bridge rail was used with both wood and concrete posts. Posts were 4ft tall. The other sizes appear to have been a bit of a mixed bag but that could be down to post replacement after the line shut or during the BR era.

• RMweb Premium

I can't help with prototype spacing , but the Ratio instructions say space every 20 mm , I've just done some for my SWAG module and I've spaced at between 40 and 50 mm , I doubt it's truly correct but it looks okay to me .

See photo ,

post-6765-0-72636900-1329751918.jpg

This fencing was seen on a GWR layout at an exhibition last year , probably closer to Ratio spec

but to me it looks to crowded .

post-6765-0-33475200-1329752226.jpg

Hope that helps a bit John .

• RMweb Gold

I can't help with prototype spacing , but the Ratio instructions say space every 20 mm , I've just done some for my SWAG module and I've spaced at between 40 and 50 mm , I doubt it's truly correct but it looks okay to me .

See photo ,

post-6765-0-72636900-1329751918.jpg

This fencing was seen on a GWR layout at an exhibition last year , probably closer to Ratio spec

but to me it looks to crowded .

post-6765-0-33475200-1329752226.jpg

Hope that helps a bit John .

Was that layout 'Hungerford' by Shipley MRC by any chance Mike.I disagree with the posts being too close.They look right to me and thats one of the best Western layouts on the exhibition circuit.

• RMweb Premium

Was that layout 'Hungerford' by Shipley MRC by any chance Mike.I disagree with the posts being too close.They look right to me and thats one of the best Western layouts on the exhibition circuit.

Hi Rob ,

yes it is Hungerford , a lovely layout and one I spent a lot of time watching , an excellant rendition of things GWR ,

as I said , it was just to me that it looked to close , the Ratio spaceing works out at 1 post at 5ft intervals , to my mind

6 to 8ft would seem to be enough , hence my more spread out work .

As the module is just a bit of fun for one day I have'nt gone to the trouble of being over accurate in the interests of

keeping costs down a bit , maybe if it was on the permanant layout thats in progress I might tighten it up.

• 5 years later...

I don't have those copies of GWRJ - anybody care to post details here so I can sort out my fencing too?

As you were - now have this information, namely the wooden posts were 4ft 10ins. above ground level and the wires were spaced  (from the ground) 4", 4", 4", 5", 6", 7", 10", 12" apart, so eight wires in total.

Archived