Class 47 with flashing lights

Hugh Flynn

Hi

I know a couple of Knottingley class 47,s were fitted with amber flashing lights ,but in one of my class 47 books

it states one had blue flashing lights fitted for a short period can anyone confirm this or any photos.

"I have a mars bar riding on it"

many thanks in advance to you all

hugh

• RMweb Gold

Not sure about blue lights, here is a link to a photo of 47373 with the orange beacon http://www.brushtype...g=0147020545000

47277 was the other one so fitted, 56074 was similarly equiped. (info from http://www.brushtype4.co.uk/bt4_numbers.php?index=0&jndex=2&kndex=77&s_loco=47277)

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Slightly OT but 56074 and 56073 were both fitted 1981- c1986/7

I had a feeling that there was more than one grid, thanks for the info. I only took my data from the site I linked to and it was late...

Andi

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

On the Class 56073 & 56074, the yellow flashing light signified when the locos where under automatic control for unloading their coal train. So I'd imagine the Class 47 has the same control system. I believe it wasn't a success, and had been abandoned by the late 1980s.

I suspect a caption bloop, hardly unknown. I saw the 47s often enough, I recall orange, everything I've ever read about them has said orange, and I cant see why they would ever have been blue. Orange is an obvious safety colour, whereas blue (and this is admittedly supposition on my part) might risk confusion with on-site emergency vehicles.

I can confirm that the light on 47277 was orange, I know this as on a Saturday evening/Sunday morning it dragged a dead electric hauled passenger train from Crewe to Stafford, think it was 1984 or 85.

47277 was a big line in the book for haulage back then!

Prior to leaving Crewe we wound the driver up to switch the orange flashing light on.

• 1 year later...

Archived