Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

G. J. Churchwood

heres a double whammy then, how to get lynched at a show and on this thread, go up to layout owner and say

" i do love listening to an expert, x the unknown element and spurt, a drip under pressure"

• Like 2

He wouldn't lynch you.......... It would be much worse! It would probably require surgery to remove ones head from where it really shouldn't be.

One bloke came close this afternoon at Nottingham. Something was slightly amiss on LB and the chap kept telling one of my daughters that she needed to pull this that or the other lever. They get this sort of thing all the time, being but "girls in a man's world".

They are both very good operators. Of course, she had pulled all the levers quite correctly and it was a faulty switch causing the problem. She was too polite to say anything at the time but if looks could kill..........

They should wear T shirts saying we have often operated Roy Jackson's "Retford",that would make one or two of those Male Chauvanistic Pigs think twice.

Regards,Derek.

Tell the exhibition organisers that your layout has been badly damaged but you have found a suitable replacement: a large layout of Australia's famous train "The Ghan" (Darwin-Alice Springs-Adelaide), built to P4 standards and representing 5 miles of that iconic stretch of railway just outside of Kalgoorlie.

Turn up with 344ft of dead straight track with nothing but sand to either side of the track and heat lamps for both lighting and atmosphere....

...run it to a prototypical timetable*...

... and put up notices asking the kiddies to find Skippy the Kangaroo....

F

* Fridays and Mondays

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Tell the exhibition organisers that your layout has been badly damaged but you have found a suitable replacement: a large layout of Australia's famous train "The Ghan" (Darwin-Alice Springs-Adelaide), built to P4 standards and representing 5 miles of that iconic stretch of railway just outside of Kalgoorlie.

Turn up with 344ft of dead straight track with nothing but sand to either side of the track and heat lamps for both lighting and atmosphere....

F

* Fridays and Mondays

Surely you wouldn't build 344ft of P4 track - say its HO (as that's what scale Aussie models are made to) then you only need 301ft - say 100 yards of Peco streamline...

Another trick - a model of Chat moss 1820. Before Mr Stevenson build the Liverpool & Manchester - just a seed tray full of moss, I could easily scrape some off my roof!

Another trick - a model of Chat moss 1820. Before Mr Stevenson build the Liverpool & Manchester - just a seed tray full of moss, I could easily scrape some off my roof!

Which Stevenson was that - the author or one of the lighthouse engineers? I always thought that George Stephenson built the line...

F

* Fridays and Mondays

Unfortunately I have seen a layout at an exhibition that was rather like this - running to a prototype timetable in real time :nono:

...approach a [say] P4 Edwardian station to fiddleyard layout and ask the operating crew 'Can you buy the extra track for this TRAIN SET , I'm sure my little boy would like one if it went round in a proper oval shape....'

Doug

Edited by Chubber
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

F

* Fridays and Mondays

There was an April article in Railway Modeller on such a layout in N many years ago - 1990. The idea was to use 2 Land Rovers or similar full of modules and lay them out. There was a photo of the first module built. Just maybe, it was the only one!

Another project for James May - International edition?

Kevin Martin

F

* Fridays and Mondays

And this where you can get the gear to run on it...

http://www.modeltrainsho.com.au/p819-Bachmann-Outback-Hauler-HO-Scale-Train-Set.html

• RMweb Gold

He wouldn't lynch you.......... It would be much worse! It would probably require surgery to remove ones head from where it really shouldn't be.

One bloke came close this afternoon at Nottingham. Something was slightly amiss on LB and the chap kept telling one of my daughters that she needed to pull this that or the other lever. They get this sort of thing all the time, being but "girls in a man's world".

They are both very good operators. Of course, she had pulled all the levers quite correctly and it was a faulty switch causing the problem. She was too polite to say anything at the time but if looks could kill..........

Kim gets this all the time when operating Highbury - she's usually too polite...... LB was the main reason we did a seven hour round trip to Nottingham and we spent a long timewatching Nick Frezzer, then your daughters operate - magical!

Jerry

Slowly walking down the Que at Ally Pally/ NEC and say that the Bachmann stand has Sold out before the show opens ??? ................

................... Hiding in Bunker now .................

Mike

Slowly walking down the Que at Ally Pally/ NEC and say that the Bachmann stand has Sold out before the show opens ??? ................

................... Hiding in Bunker now .................

Mike

Not sure about lynched, maybe start a riot?

Cheers,

David

Guest notascoobie

heres a double whammy then, how to get lynched at a show and on this thread, go up to layout owner and say

" i do love listening to an expert, x the unknown element and spurt, a drip under pressure"

I'd heard it was "ex as in has-been" and spurt "drip under pressure."

F

* Fridays and Mondays

There was an April article in Railway Modeller on such a layout in N many years ago - 1990. The idea was to use 2 Land Rovers or similar full of modules and lay them out. There was a photo of the first module built. Just maybe, it was the only one!

Another project for James May - International edition?

Kevin Martin

I remember reading something like this as a "plan of the month" in a railway modeller, but back in the early 1980's and involving HO/OO scale stock, the track and baseboards would be loaded in to a transit van on a friday afternoon and driven to the seaside, set up and them the operators would retire to a hostelry for the night. The following morning, they would set up the stock (which had blower equiped "A unit loco's" propelled by motorised B units, and trailed by a full length train :O ) That tested my belief of the plan. The A unit would blow the sand off the tracks as it went - there was a drawing of the A + B unit, but photo's were sadly lacking.

The plan was fronted by some-one in the music industry, at the time I was even more incredulous of the plan!! :D

• RMweb Premium

Just saying I thoroughly enjoyed readng this thread. Makes me glad I don't exhibit though - sounds like you have to deal with a lot of idiots.

Which brings me nicely round to my how-to-get-lynched as an exhibitor comment to an over-critical observer that I know has never exhibited a layout

"Either put up or shut up"

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

The "anti P4" posters on this thread need just turn up at a Scalefour Society show, holding a placard with their comment on it. Culprits will then be put in the stocks and asked challenging questions such as "why are your eyes so close together?", "name a railway company other than Bachmann or Hornby", "on a round roundy layout, which line is up and which down ? etc.

• Like 1