Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

• RMweb Gold

I hope I don't get lynched at Trainwest this weekend when I put up the notices banning backpacks, rucksacks and other sundry items of mountaineering equipment.

Geoff Endacott

I've said before that I often took a back pack to an exhibition, as I had a child who needed to constantly hold my hand (or be held by the hand) and for whom I needed to take sundry items of food & drink.

To me, a backpack was the obvious solution.

A blanket ban on these useful items would have seriously p***ed me off.

• Like 4

I wear a small 17 litre back pack (not a rucksack or bergan!).

Never had a prob, but I have been clouted by assorted carrier bags, a shopping trolley (tartan of course) and had a walking frame placed on my sandalled foot.

Very painful I can assure you.

Should these be banned too? ;)

Consideration comes in many forms and we all have to bear that in mind.

In the meantime, I will continue to wear it.

After all, I have to put my clean undies somewhere.........(.I could always wear them on my head with two pencils up me nose couldn't I ?)

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Oh no, we are back on the backpack arguments again.... :mail:

Changing direction for a moment, has there ever been a punch up at an exhibition? I know I saw one nearly kick off some years ago but wondered if anyone has ever actually come to blows? :jester:

Changing direction for a moment, has there ever been a punch up at an exhibition? I know I saw one nearly kick off some years ago but wondered if anyone has ever actually come to blows? :jester:

Good grief, what is this? Railway modelling red in tooth and claw? Maybe I'd better brush up my karate skills, if we're looking for this kind of thing, now! ;)

Edited by bluebottle

• RMweb Gold

Would it be a lynching offence to go up to any model rail layout that isn't GWR and say... "What your locomotives need is decent Copper-Top funnel?"

It probably would if all the locos were diesels !

• Like 2

It probably would if all the locos were diesels !

Unless one of them was GWR No. 1, a four wheeled diesel shunter built by Fowler's of Leeds. Though Russell does say the chimney/exhaust cap was brass rather than copper.

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Would it be a lynching offence to go up to any model rail layout that isn't GWR and say... "What your locomotives need is decent Copper-Top funnel?"

Yes, Stanier had the right approach.

Kevin Martin

Not so long ago myself and a friend in a wheelchair went along to Doncaster Racecourse and every time he was hit in the face with a rucksack hit rapped the offender across the ankles with his stick claiming it was an involuntary reaction and he couldn't help it (sound like a familiar excuse?). This however was not to be the highlight of the day, after consuming a few ales we decided to have another wander round the layouts "in character" as Andy and Lou (Little Britain):

"i want that one"

"Are you sure, it's Great Western and you don't like Great Western"

"I want that one"

"Are you sure" etc etc.

"I don't like it, I want a different one" etc. etc.

IHe nearly got me thrown out that day!

• Like 14

After consuming a few ales we decided to have another wander round the layouts "in character" as Andy and Lou (Little Britain):

"i want that one"

"Are you sure, it's Great Western and you don't like Great Western"

"I want that one"

"Are you sure" etc etc.

that had me in stitches!

• RMweb Premium
  •  
On 14/04/2012 at 03:14, kevinlms said:

Yes, Stanier had the right approach.

Kevin Martin

I nearly did get lynched when I was asked to go as one of the operators with Hungerford (A finescale EM GWR layout) to the Great Western Study Group AGM at Portishead. As I was willing to operate on any of the panels I got stuck on the fiddle yard most of the time and was able to decide which train ran next in the sequence. On the Sunday afternoon, when lots of die hard old GWR fans were sitting in front of the layout examining each train in minute detail (I believe some were retired drivers) I took an EM gauge Turbomotive out of my bag(That a friend had lent me) and substituted it for a King on one of the expresses. When it appeared on the front of the layout the jaws of all the spectators dropped in time with the loco and train going along the front of the layout.

The cry went up from the front, "WHATS THAT" the reply from the depths of the fiddle yard was " It's what Stanier would have built if he'd stayed at Swindon". As this occurred the layout owner appeared with the committee of the the GWSG. He was not amused but I was. I wasn't asked to go out with Hungerford again until they were desparate for operators one weekend.

Jamie

Turbomotive.jpg

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 15

I nearly did get lynched when I was asked to go as one of the operators with Hungerford (A finescale EM GWR layout) to the Great Western Study Group AGM at Portishead. As I was willing to operate on any of the panels I got stuck on the fiddle yard most of the time and was able to decide which train ran next in the sequence. On the Sunday afternoon, when lots of die hard old GWR fans were sitting in front of the layout examining each train in minute detail (I believe some were retired drivers) I took an EM gauge Turbomotive out of my bag(That a friend had lent me) and substituted it for a King on one of the expresses. When it appeared on the front of the layout the jaws of all the spectators dropped in time with the loco and train going along the front of the layout.

post-6824-0-82941400-1334586835.jpg

The cry went up from the front, "WHATS THAT" the reply from the depths of the fiddle yard was " It's what Stanier would have built if he'd stayed at Swindon". As this occurred the layout owner appeared with the committee of the the GWSG. He was not amused but I was. I wasn't asked to go out with Hungerford again until they were desparate for operators one weekend.

Jamie

All I can say it that it is a good job that I for one actually appreciate the designs of Sir William Stanier FRS, after all, he learnt his skills from the best of the best in my opinion. If he had remained at the GWR instead of Collett, I am in no doubt that Turbomotive would have been a fine edition to the stock list. As much as I am GWR, I also appreciate locomotives of the LMS. :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

All I can say it that it is a good job that I for one actually appreciate the designs of Sir William Stanier FRS, after all, he learnt his skills from the best of the best in my opinion.

Who was that then? Churchwood? :jester:

Mick

• Like 3

Jamie

I nearly got lynched for running Bill and Ben double headed up the narrow gauge section of a certain north western O gauge LMS layout one wakefield show...

... Then a Big Boy rolled round the main line.

• Like 2

Another couple potential practical jokes that would cause mayhem:

Sell someone a ticket, and within site of ticket desk arrange have ticket checked. Ticket check person now refuses entry because the ticket [hasn't been dated correctly/has the wrong discount/is for the wrong show/isn't a priority ticket]. Tell customer if they have a complaint they have to go to the complaints desk, sited just inside the door. Flatly refuse to allow them through the door until the ticket has been correctly changed/dated/etc. by complaints desk.

Launch a much sought-after limited edition model, allow queue to build up to a nice length, then announce over tannoy that entire stock has been sold to eBay collector before show started.

or sell them a ticket and have the ticketchecker inform them its a forgery

Tell the exhibition organisers that your layout has been badly damaged but you have found a suitable replacement: a large layout of Australia's famous train "The Ghan" (Darwin-Alice Springs-Adelaide), built to P4 standards and representing 5 miles of that iconic stretch of railway just outside of Kalgoorlie.

Might I suggest you all look at a map of Australia? If there are 5 miles of D/AS/A railway just outside Kal. we've had a hell of a continental drift overnight!!!!!!!!!! :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

Cheers, from West Oz, Peter C.

Edited by 45568

Jamie

Are there people really like that? Seriously? Every modeller I've met would have found it funny and interesting (after all its not every day you see a Turbomotive model). If you had messed around all day that's one thing, but one moment of light relief shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 2

Are there people really like that? Seriously? Every modeller I've met would have found it funny and interesting (after all its not every day you see a Turbomotive model). If you had messed around all day that's one thing, but one moment of light relief shouldn't be a problem.

Yes! They are also generally anally retentive, count out every penny they are given as change and regard anybody under the age of 100 as suspicious.

• Like 6