Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

• RMweb Premium

I nearly did get lynched when I was asked to go as one of the operators with Hungerford (A finescale EM GWR layout) to the Great Western Study Group AGM at Portishead. As I was willing to operate on any of the panels I got stuck on the fiddle yard most of the time and was able to decide which train ran next in the sequence. On the Sunday afternoon, when lots of die hard old GWR fans were sitting in front of the layout examining each train in minute detail (I believe some were retired drivers) I took an EM gauge Turbomotive out of my bag(That a friend had lent me) and substituted it for a King on one of the expresses. When it appeared on the front of the layout the jaws of all the spectators dropped in time with the loco and train going along the front of the layout.

The cry went up from the front, "WHATS THAT" the reply from the depths of the fiddle yard was " It's what Stanier would have built if he'd stayed at Swindon". As this occurred the layout owner appeared with the committee of the the GWSG. He was not amused but I was. I wasn't asked to go out with Hungerford again until they were desparate for operators one weekend.

Jamie

I did much worse. A late friend of mine had an EM model of Charlbury c.1935 here in Oz.

I turned up one day with a Class 50 in large logo blue with a rake of Mk2D's & a couple of Mk1's. They ran very well. On diversion of course.

Roger never actually said a word. But there was a shortage of exhibitable EM layouts in Melbourne (a total of one at the time) and of course a lack of stock variation.

Some one suggested that at the period of the Class 50, there was just a single track and no yard. Roger just disappeared, I seem to recall.

Kevin Martin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I used to operate a small N gauge roundy roundy, with quite limited operational scope - just a single track to and from a fiddle yard, with a two platform station, with a passing loop and one siding.

Towards the end of a boring operation session, I used to get all the locos and stock and made up a single continuous train of everything - sometimes it raised a smile, sometimes it raised a frown.

Who was that then? Churchwood? :jester:

Mick

Matt, forget the shovel, I have now booked you a JCB to help with those holes you keep digging :lol: :lol:

Colin

"Flippin' 'Eck! I definitely ain't ever going to live this down am I! Ya drop one clanger and the world don't let ya forget it! :blink: ^_^ :D :jester:

Shall we get back onto topic before I place my foot firmly in my mouth too quickly again!

Edited by GWR-Fanatic

Guest Natalie Graham

or sell them a ticket and have the ticketchecker inform them its a forgery

It's already bad enough, you pay anything up to a tenner for a ticket and then some bloke takes it off you and tears it in half.

I've learned the hard way to be cautious in how I comment on GWR and Southern layouts at exhibitions... More than once, I had to explain that, not having travelled widely outside central Scotland or the West Riding in BR steam days, "Railways" to me were the former LMS and LNER, and the GWR and Southern were "foreign" in the sense that they came "from another district, society, etc." (Concise Oxford Dictionary). Friends of Churchwood in particular (Sorry, GWR-Fanatic) were apt to give me the Grrr in Great Western...

• Like 2

"Flippin' 'Eck! I definitely ain't ever going to live this down am I! Ya drop one clanger and the world don't let ya forget it! :blink: ^_^ :D :jester:

Shall we get back onto topic before I place my foot firmly in my mouth too quickly again!

In response to your first statement Matt, NO you won't live it down. :D :lol:

Colin

I think I have to Holy Grail of these. Walk up to any and all of the beautiful models at any exhibition and say in a loud, bold voice:

"like your trainset mate'

And prepare to run...

Edited by Edge

• RMweb Premium

I think I have to Holy Grail of these. Walk up to any and all of teh beautiful models at any exhibition and say in a loud, bold voice:

And prepare to run...

Not a problem I. Whenever I am away with a layout I tell my friends at chiurch that I'm off playing trains for the weekend, and regularly tell people who don't like something on the layout that it's my trainset.

Jamie

Not a problem I. Whenever I am away with a layout I tell my friends at chiurch that I'm off playing trains for the weekend, and regularly tell people who don't like something on the layout that it's my trainset.

Jamie

Then you are one of the enlightened few, sir. I once saw a 40 year old man throw a temper tantrum (including jumping up and down) when someone called it a 'trainset'. Have noticed more than a few stern looks over the years when the same was said.

EDIT: The gentleman involved was part of a club that I was also involved with, and flew into a rage when he was told he would have to loose an inch from his scenic backscene. I'm pretty sure that he and the club parted ways after that little fiasco

I think I have to Holy Grail of these. Walk up to any and all of teh beautiful models at any exhibition and say in a loud, bold voice:

And prepare to run...

The proper reply to that statement is "Thank you very much, of course you could have one like this if you weren't such an ignorant moron!"

I've learned the hard way to be cautious in how I comment on GWR and Southern layouts at exhibitions... More than once, I had to explain that, not having travelled widely outside central Scotland or the West Riding in BR steam days, "Railways" to me were the former LMS and LNER, and the GWR and Southern were "foreign" in the sense that they came "from another district, society, etc." (Concise Oxford Dictionary). Friends of Churchwood in particular (Sorry, GWR-Fanatic) were apt to give me the Grrr in Great Western...

Oh dear, It seems my reputation precedes me. :D :lol: ^_^.

Any how, GWR is through a technicality for me "foreign" as being from the region of the Southern Railway and there are some I know who are trying to get me back from what they consider to be the "dark side", and it usually ends up in some pretty interesting debates (which for some reason I cannot fathom I appear to end up losing, or at least I strategically withdraw as a matter of principle.)

Still after some encouragement from a member of my railway club, I embraced the fact that I am a GWR enthusiast. But GWR is not my only railway interest, I also like the LMS, and the numerous routs of the London Underground, as well as having ideas for future projects involving privately owned railways of the past (all aspects are under consideration for future layout ideas I should hasten to add).

Any how... I think I may have once more deviated from the subject at hand (a habit I picked up on other forums, and for which I apologize) so let's get back onto the topic at hand before it becomes too bogged down in small detail.

:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I have to Holy Grail of these. Walk up to any and all of the beautiful models at any exhibition and say in a loud, bold voice:

And prepare to run...

Our reply is usually "thanks - glad you like it"

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Oh dear, It seems my reputation precedes me. :D :) :lol: ^_^.

Any how... I think I may have once more deviated from the subject at hand...

X6!!

That's deviation and repetition, Matt - you wouldn't last long on "Just a Minute", though you do seem to be unhesitatingly (and indestructibly) cheerful on these forums! Good on you!

Gordon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having been involved in putting a motorised plastic banana on a GWR 4 mm layout, a green EE Type 1 on Sinnington ( Captain Cook never forgave me for that!) and running two C&O E8s on Stoke Summit as part of the "Blue" diesel weekend at the BRM Show at Doncaster a number of years ago - the closest I have got to being lynched was when I ran a O16.5 Corris 0-4-2T on the Wolverhampron layout which tried to demolish a signal .......

• Like 5

X6!!

That's deviation and repetition, Matt - you wouldn't last long on "Just a Minute", though you do seem to be unhesitatingly (and indestructibly) cheerful on these forums! Good on you!

Gordon

Well I doubt I'm in the league of Derek Nimmo/Clement Freud or Paul Merton for that matter. Any how, it takes alot to get me down, I go by the old adage "If you can't laugh, what can you do?"

The event's of this weekend just passed related to RM-Web did of course cast a shadow over my mood, however, knowing that it was in the capable hands of the forum management I knew it would be back up eventually.

I would like to extend my personal thanks to Andy Y and the Admins for bringing back on line what is for me personally an important and useful (not to mention very entertaining) forum that helps to show why Railway Modelling is so worthwhile as a hobby.

I was quite prepared to ready my pitchfork out and light my flaming torch, just like in the old horror movies like Frankenstein when the villages go to lynch the professor. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't someone do a 'Thomas being scrapped' cameo which caused some upset ? I never saw it but it sounds like an excellent idea.

Search the "Thomas and the Mad Bomber" videos. Very, very funny... although Brit Allcroft, Hit Entertainment or Ertl wouldn't think so.

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Premium

Tell the modeller with the exquisite Gn15 layout (G scale on HO track) that you though a modeller of his experience would be using P4 or at least EM by now.

(Fortunately, he has a bit of a sense of humour.)