Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

• RMweb Premium

Make people queue in one direction to view layouts or browse / purchase from traders, and limit the length of time they can do so. Or is it just me that gets annoyed with the free-for-all?

Or, every time someone asks a daft question, reply through a loud-hailer, in an 'Alvin and the Chipmunks' voice

• Like 4

Having just read all the comments I can't believe that nobody has come up with this one; surround all layouts with razor wire :yes: . Alternately allow exhibitors to use Tasers on sticky fingered children (or adults).

BTW a P4 Thomas has been done IIRC at one of the Scalefora.

Cheers,

David

Guest Natalie Graham
Loudly and without consideration pointing out any errors or anachronisms, no matter how trivial. I reckon that would do the trick! :imsohappy:

That won't work, otherwise there would be multiple lynchings at every show going

Sell someone a ticket, and within site of ticket desk arrange have ticket checked. Ticket check person now refuses entry because the ticket [hasn't been dated correctly/has the wrong discount/is for the wrong show/isn't a priority ticket]. Tell customer if they have a complaint they have to go to the complaints desk, sited just inside the door. Flatly refuse to allow them through the door until the ticket has been correctly changed/dated/etc. by complaints desk.

Hey, No! It's bad enough already. You spend up to a tenner on a ticket and as soon as you get it some bloke takes it off you and tears it in half.

• Like 2

Guest Natalie Graham

Dead easy this one, just put a show on with absolutely no diesel/electric content whatsoever and watch the b*gg*rs moan.

Sounds good to me. What's the date and venue?

• Like 2

advertise the show for the wrong weekend................

Wait till I P4 my Triang Battlespace turbo car ...

Or make your own version of a Turbo car (with a metal propeller) and send it along the clubs GW branchline. It didn't have the platform clearances that our GC layout did :nono:

Quote:

advertise the show for the wrong weekend................

We went to one show down south where that pretty much happened, advertised as Bank Holiday Weekend, local radio saying Sunday-Monday, the show was actually Saturday-Sunday :jester: Hardly anybody came Saturday, not that many Sunday either.

• Like 1

Didn't someone do a 'Thomas being scrapped' cameo which caused some upset ? I never saw it but it sounds like an excellent idea.

Funny, just the other day I was musing upon doing 'Sodor in the late 60s' - Several Daisies, Thomas's branch facing closure, Duck sold into industry and heavily weathered (dirt, brake dust, a beard :P) etc... One day!

• Like 2

Having just read all the comments I can't believe that nobody has come up with this one; surround all layouts with razor wire :yes: . Alternately allow exhibitors to use Tasers on sticky fingered children (or adults).

BTW a P4 Thomas has been done IIRC at one of the Scalefora.

Cheers,

David

Might you be thinking of Philip Hall's P4 converted Percy?

steve

Model anything that doesn't fit the Great Western fraternity's view of their favourite railway.

I once witnessed a layout operator being threatened for "daring" to paint a GW loco in BR black livery.

I was going to mention something along these lines myself but i already have a fatwah imposed on me by an Ayatollah of the GWR Taliban :triniti:

• Like 1

I can remember a member of the Lima Collector's Club getting het-up about a friend of mine super-detailing (as it used to be known) a Limited Edition diesel on a demo stand some years ago.

When this chap was banging on about how wrong it was and how much money it was worth, Alan said "Well, yours is worth more isn't it as there's one less now." Alan then crossed out the number on his LE certificate and wrote in 001.

Collector bloke left at this point...

steve

• Like 19

Finding a layout that's been featured in detail in a magazine, learning what's been written as well as you can then asking questions about the layout that could have been answered by reading tha mag. Then when you've exhausted the exhibitor telling them that you read all about it in the mag ......

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I can remember a member of the Lima Collector's Club getting het-up about a friend of mine super-detailing (as it used to be known) a Limited Edition diesel on a demo stand some years ago.

When this chap was banging on about how wrong it was and how much money it was worth, Alan said "Well, yours is worth more isn't it as there's one less now." Alan then crossed out the number on his LE certificate and wrote in 001.

Collector bloke left at this point...

steve

I had one not that long back, chopping up APT cars to make intermediate articulated vehicles. Chap comes up and says to me "If you knew what that was worth you wouldn't be cutting it up". Well being as I'd paid for it I knew exactly what it was worth, and I was... I now own a 14 car APT formation, and have destroyed 4 APT sets to get it. :no:

Andi

• Like 7

Finding a layout that's been featured in detail in a magazine, learning what's been written as well as you can then asking questions about the layout that could have been answered by reading tha mag. Then when you've exhausted the exhibitor telling them that you read all about it in the mag ......

Someone's already done that to me in the past...

steve

Have an oval a track with tunnels entering and exiting the layout, have a tape playing of a model train running along the track, but don't take any stock with you.

See how long people wait for the train.

Tom

You could always just take the layout, no stock, and then sit behind it "looking" for a fault on the electrics.