Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

• RMweb Premium

What about a base board with a huge Tesdasons Superstore on it. A car park full of cars. shopping trolleys everywhere. A disused overgrown track bed at one end with a burnt out Cortina ............... and a programme write up about it being the site of former station, closed by Beeching in the 1960's. used as a car park for many years before Tesdasons brought the.site and killed the shops in the town centre............ Nice and easy to operate/stand next to (just occasionally move a few cars around) and no stock to put away on Sunday night!!!

• Like 3

What about a base board with a huge Tesdasons Superstore on it. A car park full of cars. shopping trolleys everywhere. A disused overgrown track bed at one end with a burnt out Cortina ............... and a programme write up about it being the site of former station, closed by Beeching in the 1960's. used as a car park for many years before Tesdasons brought the.site and killed the shops in the town centre............ Nice and easy to operate/stand next to (just occasionally move a few cars around) and no stock to put away on Sunday night!!!

Actually might be interesting to do using the caller car system to see what the reaction was.

.....chopping up APT cars to make intermediate articulated vehicles. Chap comes up and says to me "If you knew what that was worth you wouldn't be cutting it up". Well being as I'd paid for it I knew exactly what it was worth, and I was... I now own a 14 car APT formation, and have destroyed 4 APT sets to get it. :no:

Your 14-car formation is probably the only one in existence, and probably worth more than the untouched original sets......

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I can remember a member of the Lima Collector's Club getting het-up about a friend of mine super-detailing (as it used to be known) a Limited Edition diesel on a demo stand some years ago.

When this chap was banging on about how wrong it was and how much money it was worth, Alan said "Well, yours is worth more isn't it as there's one less now." Alan then crossed out the number on his LE certificate and wrote in 001.

Collector bloke left at this point...

steve

I remember watching that exchange, IIRC it was the Lima "Police" 37. Hilarious

May I make the following suggestion.

Build two small branchline termini, curtain them off around the front so as to hide them from view.

Then connect the two using an open fiddleyard with the backscene upto the same height as the curtain round the front of the stations

Pleanty of people ask to see how a fiddleyard works. This way they can enjoy the yard whilst you enjoy the termini.

• Like 1

Your 14-car formation is probably the only one in existence, and probably worth more than the untouched original sets......

We have a short video clip (poor quality I'm afraid) of what should be a full APT set running through Carstairs station on our layout. It's reduced to eleven vehicles to fit into the fiddle yard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uIVHuXcLAQ

Edited by great central
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I know of at least one more... Doodaa has one as well.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

We have a short video clip (poor quality I'm afraid) of what should be a full APT set running through Carstairs station on our layout. It's reduced to eleven vehicles to fit into the fiddle yard!

Here's mine in action on Ravensclyffe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr9RU6KAzmE

Time to change the thread title, "how to get lynched on RMweb for taking over the thread with APTs" :no:

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 8

Here's mine in action on Ravensclyffe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr9RU6KAzmE

Time to change the thread title, "how to get lynched on RMweb for taking over the thread with APTs" :no:

Andi

That's at least three then, no longer valid in the context of the OP? Or would it just hack (pun intended) off the collectors knowing how many must have been sacrificed on the modelling altar :locomotive:

• Like 2

Alternatively, go the other way - I can't wait to exhibit my new layout: Clapham Junction circa 1584!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I do recall many years ago at a show a 'layout' that consisted of a large rectangular ice cream tub (or simliar) full of water. Apparently it was a scale model of the English side crossover of the Channel Tunnel as viewed from above.... :jester:

• Like 6

Find every layout with loops, sidings etc and ask loudly "Shouldn't you have trap points there?"

Start up every DCC sound fitted diesel and leave it ticking over on max volume..

or do the opposite when you find a layout that has done the above and carefully place a coin on the track in a quiet siding somewhere.... :locomotive:

Demo a re-paint of an NRM City of Truro in BR lined Black.....just on one side. Like I did on the real thing...

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 5

Someone's got a layout with the "rivet counter detector van" in the style of a TV licensing detector van. Was at the Pontefract show recently I think.

... and I saw it reported on another Forum that someone went up to that layout at that Show, and in their best "Anorak Nerd" voice, said "Er, I think you'll find that that's the wrong colour Grey for a Rivet Counter Detector Van..." before running off...... :D

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 11
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Model anything that doesn't fit the Great Western fraternity's view of their favourite railway.

I once witnessed a layout operator being threatened for "daring" to paint a GW loco in BR black livery.

You could also send a train of wagons, comprising solely of vehicles from the 'other members of the big 4'.

Kevin Martin

• Like 3

Didn't someone do a 'Thomas being scrapped' cameo which caused some upset ? I never saw it but it sounds like an excellent idea.

'Twas built by Andy Cundick, creator of Talyllyn Road, Llanfairish and assorted County Donegal layouts.

At a two-day show a few years ago Andy arrrived on Sunday morning to find the cameo gone and at first assumed someone had pinched it. Then he noticed Chris Awdry being photographed with it on a nearby layout . . .

Edited by mike morley
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I guess you could also build a layout featuring every known layout cliche known to man, from buses on bridges to fairgrounds, gypsy caravans, fire engines attending fires, weddings happening at a church while there's a funeral going on in the churchyard etc... Trouble is, I suspect it's already been done....

Quite right, it has, and it's called Miniatur-Wunderland - http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de/ ;)

Wait till I P4 my Triang Battlespace turbo car ...

You'll have to repair it first, after it over-exerted itself the other night on the P87 circuit on TT2... ;)

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold
... and I saw it reported on another Forum that someone went up to that layout at that Show, and in their best "Anorak Nerd" voice, said "Er, I think you'll find that that's the wrong colour Grey for a Rivet Counter Detector Van..." before running off...... :D
I once had a chap tell me that I'd put the correct design of TV aerial on the cottage on Bleakhouse Road, apparently the guy used to be a TV aerial installer in that part of Somerset in the 1960s....

When exhibiting my own layouts, I usually derive much fun from watching innocent bystanders read all the historical guff and rhubarb that I've written on the display boards, assuring everyone that 'there was a railway in this location' and this layout is a 'faithful representation of what existed'...etc. etc. - you get the drift, and then wait for someone to tell me, in all solemnity, that they remember catching the train from there or some such. Nowhere do I write that it's all a big fiction...!

I once had the clerk to the Parish Council of Burrowbridge e-mail me, as they were writing a history of their village on the Somerset Levels. They were about to publish their book and had discovered my website with the 'history' of the South Polden Light Railway. The gentleman was most concerned to know more and have a section covering the railway in the forthcoming publication.

I'm afraid I chickened out and e-mailed him back, 'coming clean'... a missed opportunity for an even bigger wind-up, perhaps?!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1