Why is this so rarely modelled?

Guest jim s-w

• RMweb Gold
Guest Max Stafford

I don't think it was officially removed in that respect Mike, but I think it was inconsistently applied.

Dave.

• Like 2

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the crests were only applied to those coaches that were to be used in named express trains. Coaches destined for other formations didn't have them. Of course coaches got swaped about between rakes so those with crests could end up anywhere.

Edit: According to Keith Parkin's Book on the Mk 1 the crests were in fact applied completely at random though the WR did try and assemble sets either with or without. It seems then that there was no rhyme or reason as to which coaches got the crest and some didn't get it at all.

Edited by jjnewitt
  • Like 3

it must be in the settings of your account, something is disabled.

on some shots if you click on share, you get Link, but also get HTML and BB codes so you can copy and paste them onto the forum, some peoples accounts dont have it which I think means theyve de activated somthing in their settings.

post-27-0-58398700-1336254476.jpg

Michael, that Crab at Denbigh with the B/Grey Mk2 coach is a superb shot, I've just spent an hour on George of Duftons site and his photos have answered many questions about this era that I should have known (as I was spotting back then), but time has erased from my memory. A photo is worth a thousand words.

This whole thread has given me ideas. I model the 1962 scene. I just need to remove the early stock & introduce a few Blue Grey Mk1's & 2's. etc to represent this era. Shouldn't cost alot either, already have a few Black 5's, 9F, and, of course, the Brits (not Oliver, so I will have to set the scene at 1966/7).

Incidentally I remember Bunking Edge Hill around 1967, Steam Diesel & Electric (well near to !!) back then - Saw D1733 still in XP64 Blue on shed, We got chucked out grand style, then travelled across the sea to sunny Birkenhead for the 9F's. No-one bothered us there.

What was it with some sheds ?, Gateshead, Bristol Bath Road, Edge Hill, guarded like fortresses, most others though where dead easy at this time.

Happy Days,

Brit 15

• Like 1

im delighted George Woods has uploaded his slides to flickr.

Im a huge fan of the b&r dvds. farewell to steam 1968 has lots of his cinefilm in it so its nice to see the slides he took at the same time, I recognise lots of his shots just from the films.

his shot of 45305 at Lime street is on the cover of the dvd.

b&r video Wirral steam and also the north west themed ones are highly recommended and feature lots of footage from the 66-68 period. lots of steam and blue and grey coaches.

Edited by michael delamar

Just a quick question - When did the first Brush 4's receive their full yellow ends whilst in two tone green ?. Was it possible to see such a loco alongside steam in 1968 ?.

I've dug out my old Blue / Grey Lima Mk1's & Hornby Mk2's (a couple have hideous silver window surrounds), will stick em on the layout & take a couple of pix for old times sake !!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO