Why is this so rarely modelled?

Guest jim s-w

• RMweb Gold

About that time I was working in Crewe. Class 50s were being delivered from EE. I was sharing lodgings with a lad from Preston who was an EE technician on acceptance runs northwards along the WCML and the Chester line. They would have been somewhere around D434-6ish by that date.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

another shot of class 50 on Lostock hall shed.

http://www.flickr.co...nie/6627028023/

Looks to me like that's practically The End, if not actually the day itself: 70013 looking well, and a handful of machines in steam to fulfil the final day's thoroughly-chronicled last diagrammed workings.

Note the bus teasingly poised slightly off-bridge as it traverses Watkin Lane :sungum:

• Like 3

I had no idea you could have class 50s in blue alongside steam. What a wonderfully charismatic sight, and what a contrast between the old and the new. Strange to think that there's at least one of each of the 5MT (many more than that in fact), 8F and class 50 still running mainline today!

I had no idea you could have class 50s in blue alongside steam. What a wonderfully charismatic sight, and what a contrast between the old and the new. Strange to think that there's at least one of each of the 5MT (many more than that in fact), 8F and class 50 still running mainline today!

Welcome to the dark side my friend :jester:

Oh yes, it's just that sort of 'It should not have happened' juxtaposition that makes our elective nano-genre truly unacceptable to many. I think we're due rehab, the relative levels of madness such images have brought on.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Think my modelling could be in for a slight time shift as and when cash allows. Memories of my first two years on BR when almost any mixture could be seen in the Birmingham area. Don't let anyone tell you it couldn't happen, it probably did in that era. Unfortunately I didn't get them on the same frame but adjacent shots I took at Derby around 1966 included 44767 and a blue/grey Mk2.

• Like 1

Ivatt class 2, maroon observation car with yellow end and 5 blue and grey mk2's 1967.

1min, 20.

as famous as this insidence was, I cant find any decent shots of the fence and the train, id like to know what loco it was. only one allocated to Aintree at this time.

WHAT is that sleeping car, please?????

Stanier 8-wheeler (2nd class); some of them lasted til 1976 or so.

The MetCam at ManVic is interesting, I'd not realised that painting over the ally window frames was practised so early.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just come across this thread and spent ages studying the various photographs. Often thinking of steam and blue & grey as mutually exclusive, this thread shows it how it really was with a gold mine of interesting photographs fro a rarely modelled era.

I suppose if one is modelling steam, then the maroon/green/chocolate & cream coaches tend to accompany the locos.

Perhaps its because the steam locomotives never got the corporate blue identity (VoR excepted) that we don't associate them with their contemporary coaches painted in a then modern colour scheme.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

4628940977_567e7bedb6.jpg

No.4472 'Flying Scotsman'. Birmingham (Snow Hill). 18 September 1965 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

4626915950_26def726bc.jpg

No.4472 'Flying Scotsman'. Birmingham (Snow Hill). 18 September 1965 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Is that a Bulleid Semi Open Brake I see behind Flying Scotsman?

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 3

Steam. blue and grey coaches (b4 bogies too) colour lights, FB rail and yet hardly ever (if ever) modelled.

This combination has always appealed to me too!

I had plans to build a layout set in the summer of '68 a few years ago. Really wanting to portary an accurate balance between steam and diesel motive power as some books (as they focus on the last of steam) give the impression that steam was everywhere in the north west until mid August whereas the change wasn't quite like that...

I have a plan of my idea somewhere - it would have been set somewhere between Skipton and Carnforth and modelled in P4. I started various items for it; a pair of Lima 47s were started and were to feature Protot 1000 PA-1 mechanisms, one, even was painted (and maybe appeared on an earlier RMweb...), a Class 40 was finished (D348 which I subsequently sold following some persuassion), a Bachmann 08 is now ready for BR Blue and a TOPS number, various Hornby and Bachmann Class 25 parts, a rake's worth of Kitmaster Mark 1s sit in the cupboard, I have bits ready for a Standard 4MT and Stanier 8Fs and a pile of wagon kits!

Not long afterwards I got invovled with Botanic Gardens and concentrated on that. It's a project theme I'd like to revists at some point, so we'll see...

Edited by James