Why is this so rarely modelled?

Guest jim s-w

• RMweb Premium

Just looked through this thread for the first time. Michael's photo of the green Brit, coupled to the blue and grey Mk1s is somehow appealing!

Not a combination I'd have expected to work. Into the layout room to match up said combination and see for myself!

Jeff

• Like 1

It is worth remembering that this wasn't a terribly positive era - BR took delivery of no new locos between 1967 and 1974 (in terms of diesels not til 1976) , no new DMUs from about 1963 to the early 80s, ands very few new EMUs either. There were no electrifications between 1967 and 1974. Just line closures and withdrawals. BR's public stock was very low - until the introduction of the HSTs it was very much seen by the public as an obsolete decaying system waiting for it's coup de grace

1967-1974 on the SR: 4BIG 7049-58, 4CIG 7337-7438, 4VEP 7701-7894, 2PEP 2001, 4PEP 4001/02; ScR Class AM11 (TOPS 311) 092-110. While not in the same volume as years prior to 1967, I wouldn't say that it was 'very few'.

Just the image that I would like to portray on any layout I get the space to build - It hasn't stopped me trying to accumulate the stock for it, though. The blue stock behind looks like a reasonably new 4TC unit, the Mk1 Blue/Grey BSK has the early small lettering, mounted higher on the blue part of the bodyside than was to become standard.

1966-74 was the time scale that my friends and I were scurrying around the London area trying to 'cop' as many of the dying breed as possible and is the period of British railways (note the small 'r') that I remember the best. And would like to portray in model form.

ive always had an interest in this era, its the era my dad remembers best, being 11 in 1968,

and because it was well photographed and filmed,

however whenever I go to model this era, it soon wears off when if you realise if you set the layout just a few years earlier the more variety of locos you can have.

• Like 2

and because it was well photographed and filmed,

I'd disagree agree with you to a certain extent - whilst many photographs were taken, those published from the era do not give a balanced view at all, which is why -

I had plans to build a layout set in the summer of '68 a few years ago. Really wanting to portary an accurate balance between steam and diesel motive power as some books (as they focus on the last of steam) give the impression that steam was everywhere in the north west until mid August whereas the change wasn't quite like that...

I just wonder if a significant proportion of enthusiasts went out and took photos of steam when it went by but ignored diesels.

Although we often refer to the early sixties as the transition period, the later sixties (and into the seventies) makred a far more transitional stage of the railway; many branchlines had gone and it was then that many resignalling scheme really started to come on stream and p-way changed at a grater pace. The railway itself was changing rather than a switch of motive power.

I think that this is why I find the period fascinating as my interest and curiosity goes far beyond whatever was on the front of the train and the colour of the coaches! This state of mind helps greatly when I have a procession of multiple units and sheds going by everyday! :lol:

At the risk of going OT - unless we 'pigeonhole' stuff as modellers into reasonably specific era/area, we are quickly accused of running unprototypical trains, unless you adopt the IMTS approach :dontknow:    

Although my modelling tastes would accomodate something a bit larger than a pigeon...... :D

Cheers,

Mick

I hear this, I fell foul a while back with Outon Road. Someone, I cant remember who, had commented on here after seeing my layout and praised my efforts. I very much appreiciate the comments but he commented incorrectly (tollally unawares) something like 'Great to see the layout in the flesh, and nice to see stock from several eras over the day' or something similar, I could look back but its near enough. My point being that all of the stock I ran was carefully chosen to have been as seen in approx 1991 to 1994. There was no mix of eras at all. Just because I'd carefully chosen examples of br blue, large logo and sector colours that were all present in the early 90's didn't mean it was cross era. It goes to show that whatever stock you run people are not always aware of what actually ran at a given time.As for the OP I would probably say that most people who model steam, model it because they have an interest in steam, to model it as it is being effectively euthanised is probably not appealing to the average steam buff.Cav

• Like 2

I'd disagree agree with you to a certain extent - whilst many photographs were taken, those published from the era do not give a balanced view at all, which is why -

I just wonder if a significant proportion of enthusiasts went out and took photos of steam when it went by but ignored diesels.

aye but its not just the locos im interested in, its shots of the sheds, signal boxes , stations and surrounding environment

• Like 2

aye but its not just the locos im interested in, its shots of the sheds, signal boxes , stations and surrounding environment

Sadly this is true of most eras - though thanks to the 'net signal boxes are pretty well covered.

I'm convinced that most 'railway enthusiasts' aren't - they're loco and train enthusiasts. Nothing wrong with that but I do feel they miss out on the wonderfully rich and varied 'greater railway'.

• Like 3

I hear this, I fell foul a while back with Outon Road. Someone, I cant remember who, had commented on here after seeing my layout and praised my efforts. I very much appreiciate the comments but he commented incorrectly (tollally unawares) something like 'Great to see the layout in the flesh, and nice to see stock from several eras over the day' or something similar, I could look back but its near enough. My point being that all of the stock I ran was carefully chosen to have been as seen in approx 1991 to 1994. There was no mix of eras at all. Just because I'd carefully chosen examples of br blue, large logo and sector colours that were all present in the early 90's didn't mean it was cross era.

And he missed the whole appeal of that era too!

Sadly ignorance regins too strong with many people!

• RMweb Premium

Sadly this is true of most eras - though thanks to the 'net signal boxes are pretty well covered.

I'm convinced that most 'railway enthusiasts' aren't - they're loco and train enthusiasts. Nothing wrong with that but I do feel they miss out on the wonderfully rich and varied 'greater railway'.

At least with the advent of digital cameras, more than just the loco and train is being photographed. In the future, when people model the early 2000's and later, they should have plenty of reference material to go at.

Exactly!

I'm sure a few posters on here would agree that's what they did.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

I know exactly where you are coming from.

I think Ian Allen said this on an old documentary,something like "you cant pick steam enthusiasts out of railway enthusiasts, but were all a bid mad and thats what draws us all together, were nuts" :)

ive grown up watching many videos from this era, many from the b&r range and usually always see a blue and grey coach behind steam.

im just greatful for those who took these shots, spent a lot of time and money on colour slides, storing them for years and are now sharing them on sites like flickr, and shots of diesels have started to become more wider known when for years it was hard to find shots of certain classes,

I used to struggle to find shots of green 37s and class 16s for example.

thanks to the likes of Barkingbill and brushveteran we can enjoy shots like this :)

6968993123_0b6e08cd22_b.jpg

Hi-Res R1207 by BarkingBill, on Flickr

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Am I seeing things, or are there maroon coaches mixed in with the Mk1s behind that deltic? Is so, was this a common practice - or is this a heritage railway shot?

Any ideas, Michael?

Btw, the photo is superb - and well composed. The problem (and, ironically the advantage) of digital cameras is that people tend to just "shoot" rather than looking for a good angle or viewpoint. Agree with MD about the photosharing. An absolute boon to modellers!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

haha dont ask me

Lol! I'm sure there's someone out there that can answer my question. I think I'll have a look at the flickr site - I must admit it is new to me (shows how little I know). Judging by the stuff you've managed to trawl from it, it appears to be an amazing resource.

Jeff

Am I seeing things, or are there maroon coaches mixed in with the Mk1s behind that deltic? Is so, was this a common practice - or is this a heritage railway shot?

Any ideas, Michael?

Btw, the photo is superb - and well composed. The problem (and, ironically the advantage) of digital cameras is that people tend to just "shoot" rather than looking for a good angle or viewpoint. Agree with MD about the photosharing. An absolute boon to modellers!

Jeff

Definitely a period photo!! (There is an EE type 3 or 4 lurking to the left of shot in either BFYE or GFYE....

Certainly not uncommon for there to be a mix of liveries even in main line expresses of the era, the Deltic still looks like she is wearing D numbers, so I would put my money on the photo being around 1968-9. IIRC, there was a complete rake of maroon MK1's on the network as late as 1973, being hauled by blue diesels....

No mainline registered Mark 1s in 1968 - nor Preservation groups running there own stock on the main line for that matter - Entirely gen-u-ine BR Stock 5 years before maroon disappeared entirely!

(p.s. Chris the photo's dated 7th October 68')

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Should I EVER have doubted that a miniature army of RMwebbers would provide solutions to my question (rhetorical question).

Just had a look on flickr website. Oh dear! So much stuff and so addictive. There is now no excuse for elements of my planned layout to diverge from the prototype.

Thanks folks!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done Mike, Chard and others for finding all these flicker pics, fascinating!

The transition era is something which has always fascinated me and have always modelled even though my age ought to make me a modeller of 80's railways really?

A lot of books I have with Settle Carlise, Waverley and further northwards pics always have the earlier pics in even though I often bought them for the BR blue content.

I can however relate to some of the comments of those who were witnessing what was going on at the time, having felt the same indignation when loco haled trains were replaced by sprinters. It seems that with 'progress' each generation of rolling stock becomes more efficient, cost effective- but yet more soulless.

Those 156's on the west highland line (we had a day trip to mallaig recently) seem knackered & bucolic (maybe more todo with track) - compared to the sterility and quiet efficiency of whatever class of EMU ( I really am that uninterested!) it is that we get when we 'park & ride' into Glasgow.

Edited by Russ (mines a pint)
  • Like 2