Model Railway Partwork - Your Model Railway Village

John M Upton

If anyone has a few issues of this going surplus to requirements, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. In particular, if a few issues of number 1 are out and about, then I'd love to get my hands on them

PLease PM me

• 5 months later...

A 5 plank drop side, I seem to recall the Southern Railway had something similar, most of which went to engineer's stock.

Nick

Well - I've studied wagons quite a bit, but if that wagon has a UK prototype I'll eat my hat - and it's a large Ozzie Akubra !!

post-2274-0-53896300-1377536328.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I know this has been mentioned in a blog and on the French Railways site but I thought I would bring it to a wider audience.

Just popped into WH Smiths this morning saw Part 1 of the publication 'Your Model Railway Village'. In the pack is a magazine and a plan for a village. Given away free this issue is a MK1 Maroon coach and a length of track. Looking through the plastic blister pack the coach was flush glazed and did not have any region or class markings all for the princely sum of £3.99, so I bought five.

When I got home and inspected the coach closer it not only had the flush glazing but also had small tension lock couplings in NEM sockets which are articulated so that the coach could fit around tight curves and it was quite weighty. I believe the coach is maybe a Bachmann MK1 but there are no manufacturer markings.

So I have bagged myself a rake of five MK1s of very good quality for less than twenty quid which I can integrate with my others and make them any region I want, and with the savings I can buy a guards coach....what a superb bargain, get down to Smiths.

Hi John

Take a look at http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/the-railway/carriages-a-wagons/81.html about half way down at the picutres of 483700 and 487725 and you'll see what i was thinking of.

Nick

Well, they've both got four wheels..

The SR (actually BR-built at Ashford) wagons have full-depth end stanchions, and a very prominent outward slope to the bottom plank. If anyone's keen on having a model of one, Cambrian are bring one out for about the same cost as a single edition of the partwork. The model is reminiscent of something, but not a UK standard gauge prototype- there's a distant jangling bell about a possible Irish connection.

The signalbox and footbridge look remarkably like the old Airfix kits. Anyone know the origin of the Mk1 coach?

I picked up a couple of the coaches still in the bubble pack with backing card that they are supplied in - they are simplified versions of the Bachmann Mk1 - more moulded on detail, plastic wheels, self coloured but with fine lining, flush glazing and good colour, close coupling mechanism and frankly at the £4 a pop I paid ludicrously good value. They are un-numbered so are ideal if you want to number up and weather a rake. Judiciously weathered the self colour finish is un-noticeable!

• RMweb Premium

Few shots alongside a Bachmann Mk1

The Bachmann coach is on the right as viewed except in end on where it is on the left

Notable differences include:-

Roof colour and detail

Height of coach, looking at the wheels the Bachmann wheels look about 1mm smaller in dis. which could account for the ride height difference.  

Paint quality

Lining quality

Generally a much cheaper look than the Bachmann coach, however that said it was a little heavier than the Bachmann coach and the colour match in natural light was pretty good. If this were a Bachmann 'Railroad' type coach I would not quibble, I would also say that I believe that this coach is better than the current (old) Hornby MK1, and at £3.99 it is an excellent buy.

There were about 15 in WH Smiths Banbury before I bought my five.

post-7211-0-39577500-1377679156_thumb.jpg

post-7211-0-36668300-1377679190_thumb.jpg

post-7211-0-22354400-1377679242_thumb.jpg

post-7211-0-33942900-1377679274_thumb.jpg

post-7211-0-70331500-1377679305_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Several in WHS High Wycombe this morning.  5 less than several now!

Thanks to 7013 for the tipoff and the review.  I don't have any Bachmann Mk1 SK's but did offer up my red/cream BTK to the £3.99 and would agree with 7013's review, except to add it has plastic wheels (which of course are evident in the pics above). Looks to be an excellent basis for hiding in longer rakes or doing some modelling to tart it up a bit.  eg swap some bogies for Commonwealths.

Afraid Hornby/Railroad won't be getting my cash now except possibly for a brake or CK!

Edit: Apols, written in haste see #15

I too purchased one this morning, and have been comparing it to a Bachmann SO. I believe it to be a cheap Chinese copy, but with a bit of modelling, it would scrub up well.

First off it is an SK. Bogies are B1  

Roof detail, filler pipes are moulded. Weld seams are  finer than Bachmanns. Needs a coat of roof Grey as unpainted plastic.

Coach sides are fine, but door handles need picking out in. Coach lining is good, the maroon finishish easily marked by oil from ones fingers, so a coat of Satin varnish required.There is no printed detail on the coach other than the fine coach lining.  

The biggest problem is the underside trussing is moulded solid.but could easily be carved away and  replaced with trussing from Southern pride or similar. Bogies are the push in type( Bachmanns have a retaining screw) While the coupling system is very similar to Bachmanns, right down to the cam mechanism to allow  coupling to extend on curves. Other underframe detail is very similar to Bachmann's but slightly lacking in detail. 

I can't compare to older Hornby Mk1's or Replica's because I don't own any.

While it is hardly worth the effort to do up one coach, at £3.99 each, It certainly might pay to by 3 or more and do them up together, so for that reason, I am off to buy a couple more for a cosy winter project.

Several in WHS High Wycombe this morning.  5 less than several now!

Thanks to 7013 for the tipoff and the review.  I don't have any Bachmann Mk1 SK's but did offer up my red/cream BTK to the £3.99 and would agree with 7013's review, except to add it has plastic wheels (which of course are evident in the pics above). Looks to be a excellent basis for hiding in longer rakes or doing some modelling to tart it up a bit.  eg swap some bogies for Commonwealths.

Afraid Hornby/Railroad won't be getting my cash now except possibly for a brake or CK!

The wheels on my example are metal

Archived