Moxley Heath - 7mm Lt Rly - Carl Arendt Challenge

Guest Jim Read

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

With your permission I will print that poster and have it on the layout information board, credited to you of course :-)

Jim

Guest Jim Read

I thought I ought to try a bit harder in the making of buildings and had a go at this, got a pic to start with, printed it, stuck it to card and cut out the windows and doors, stuck some brick paper onto the Cafe bit. I printed it again several times and cut out the windows, sills etc and stuck them under and on top.

124d0sm.jpg

The pic is a bit cruel but I'm quite pleased with the result for a change.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Thanks Andy glad you like it, phew!! that's a relief.

Hello Jamie thanks for the nice comment, I'm really looking forward to the exhibition :-)

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

A good thing about doing this posting caper is taking pics of what you've done and then deciding a few days later that what you made was utter rubbish, though I did use a stronger expletive.

What I did this time was to copy and paste bits of brickwork and cover the windows, printed that off, printed off the file with the windows in stuck that to the cards and cut the windows and door apertures out, then I stuck the C&P'd bit on and folded the brickwork to the rear, then printed out the file with the windows and doors, cut those out and stuck them on behind.

15xto9s.jpg

I think it looks a whole heap better than the one above :-)

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

Two more pics of my progress, the first taken more or less side on to the layout and the other a bit further round;

x4m6g2.jpg

rm3952.jpg

The building by the houses is from CG Textures and has made my fiddle front building look rubbish. I'll have to start again with that, 3rd time lucky :-)

Jim

love the one at the back, Jim - looks nice and grungy. Feels cheeky to say it, but I have to agree that it makes the other one look a bit flat. Going to keep a similar style? if so, may I respectfully suggest something like this: Darlington rolling mills -

post-11344-0-49786900-1334346568.jpg

your latest addition reminded me of the style

Andy

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

A bit flat is putting it mildly :-) The one you mention I made from a photograph on CG Textures I can see a few more on there that might [sort of 60%] be of use for my front of fiddle building. I do like the idea of using actual photographs to make them from, I think they look far more authentic, I can also weather them in photoshop before I print them as well.

I must go and look for one I can photograph, in one of our nearby towns and if not I'll be in Darlington photographing the rolling mills :-)

Jim

Look forward to seeing it. Will be quite hard to get the right angle to photograph such a large building - how do you manage it with enough detail? I did try it with some photos of Saltaire, rehashing them to form my own buildings. Photoshop helped, but I was never really satisfied, probably because Saltaire's architecture is far too 3D to work on a picture.

This was as far as I got, although I have a fair few more bits if they are of any use :)

post-11344-0-86985400-1334395717.gif

post-11344-0-26253600-1334395746.gif

post-11344-0-53429900-1334395796.gif

post-11344-0-97891400-1334395819.gif

post-11344-0-45805200-1334395881.gif

post-11344-0-49253500-1334395904.gif

Cheers

Andy

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the windows etc I have copied them.

I went to Sheffield this afternoon and wandered around the Don Valley area with me camera and got these. I put them altogether in this small file

2hs2841.jpg

I'll find out what you have to do to load them up to CG Textures and let you know if they are up there.

[edit] Looked at the CG site and they are not accepting anymore pics :(

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

I've started on one the buildings and done this to it;

2me96oo.jpg

Just got to fiddle with those two red bits to finish it off.

I mostly use Photoshop I was able to buy PS7 for windows on eBay really cheap. I do use MSPublisher for signs and C&P them into PS. Before I bought PS I used Gimphoto to do things like the above and printed the results with Irfan View, both freeware, Google will find them.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

Graffiti, I think it's some toilet roll flapping in the wind. Behind the wall I could hear some gigantic press or drop forge being set up and going BANG every now and then. I daresay the updraft from this caused the bogroll to unravel and flee out of the window.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I've started on a new buiding for the front of my fiddle yard;

1st stuck this to card and cut out the windows

e7cqk9.jpg

And then stuck this over the top and folded the overlaps through the cut outs. Then printed the 1st one again and cut out and stuck the windows to the back of the card.

125j0uv.jpg

This is a scan of the completed front after doing the above, I'll stick another piece of card to the back to stiffen it.

11jlxmo.jpg

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

Your right, I could make those stone bits wider and do a wrap round on some thin card. Or even some Trompe thingy with a pencil, but only if I was an artist :-)

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

Third time lucky I hope, with my front of fiddle building

Well I think it does match the others on the far side of the tracks, but then I would wouldn't I :-)

okc0zn.jpg

The office building is just off Attercliffe Road and the grim dark one in the Don Valley area, both from Sheffield.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Can't edit the above at the moment;

[edit] And there's room for some Pigeon's Andy, or maybe some backward flying crows

Jim

Archived