Hornby Push Pull Set R4534

Jim104

Conversation with Modelfair this morning - presently sold out of the coach packs, but more ("the main batch") coming late July.

Probably same info applies to the Train Pack, although they still had at least one in stock this morning (it's now mine!)

Richard

...and 619 would look so good behind a terrier on a Hayling layout (Southern Way Special 2 page 42)

Was looking through that book the other night and thought not another use for them! Mind you atleast they didnt work over the Bodmin Branch

Have received the following email from Hattons, it does not sound to me like any more are coming in July........ What on earth is going on these days?

Hello

This is an email to let you know that the following item has been cancelled from production, and so we have cancelled it from your order – reference xxxxxxxx. If this was the only item on that order, then it will be cancelled, otherwise, the order will remain on our system with the other items.

Hornby Model Railways R4534, which you can see at http://www.ehattons.com/stockdetail.aspx?SID=51234

We are unsure of the specific reason for the cancellation, and will try to keep its descriptive text updated to provide any information which the manufacturer releases.

We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regards

---------------------------------------------------

Hattons Model Railways

http://www.ehattons.com

0151 733 3655

Shop open & phones manned Monday - Saturday 8am - 6pm Sun 10am-4pm

I ordered another pair from Tim at ARCADIA Oldham today, as a result of my mentioning that he had stock on Saturday he has now only got one pair left (or at least he did have this afternoon even those may have gone by now).

I got the impression that there were not going to be any more in the forseeable future from what he told me.

Have received the following email from Hattons, it does not sound to me like any more are coming in July........ What on earth is going on these days?

Hello

This is an email to let you know that the following item has been cancelled from production, and so we have cancelled it from your order – reference xxxxxxxx. If this was the only item on that order, then it will be cancelled, otherwise, the order will remain on our system with the other items.

Hornby Model Railways R4534, which you can see at http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=51234

We are unsure of the specific reason for the cancellation, and will try to keep its descriptive text updated to provide any information which the manufacturer releases.

We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regards

Hattons Model Railways

http://www.ehattons.com

0151 733 3655

Shop open & phones manned Monday - Saturday 8am - 6pm Sun 10am-4pm

Having received the same message I wrote to Hattons...

....Thank you for your email,

I can confirm that this item did come into stock at the end of May but due to high demand this item has now sold out completely. We have tried to place another order with Hornby but they have confirmed that this item is out of stock and the line has been discontinued. After receiving the first batch into stock we were told that the pre-orders that were placed after this initial batch sold out, will now no longer be able to be fulfilled as we are not receiving any more into stock.

I hope this makes sense and clarifies your question, if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us,

Regards,.....

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the Hattons underestimated demand and Hornby kept the quantity pretty tight to the pre-orders by shops. It's happened with other Hornby items, blue grey std open mk3's spring to mind, as they seem to produce similar numbers of sets and individual parts. With the HST there were tons of 1st's and TGS going spare and I think shops or Hornby may have forgotten how many out there already had one or two M7's and just wanted coaches rather than the loco and coach pack. That is just my thought after the the reply I got about the mk3's where it was confirmed there were similar number batches of each coach rather than them being produced with the idea that a fair proportion would want a full rake with it's bias to certain items.

Of course Hornby would rather sell the loco too as it means more return for them and a sold out run on the coaches. When they announce the next set number there'll be a rush of pre-orders and hopefully an early slot for next year.

• RMweb Gold

I corresponded with Simon Kohler last night and he has confirmed that it is an incorrect rumour that production has been cancelled and that further stocks will be availble in July.

I am not sure why some of the retailers have been told otherwise.

• Like 1

I corresponded with Simon Kohler last night and he has confirmed that it is an incorrect rumour that production has been cancelled and that further stocks will be availble in July.

I am not sure why some of the retailers have been told otherwise.

I am not sure if this is correctly called a rumour!

For so many retailers including the BIG ones, to have been giving the same ' no more stock' message at virtually the same time, it is clear to me someone 'in the know' must have given them the information.

Apparently the inter retailer telephone lines were hot with shops attempting to buy up any unsold stock

• RMweb Premium

I suggest we shouldn't get too worked up about this. It could be a simple case of Hornby's (presumably) computer ordering system hasn't been updated to allow retailers to pre-order from the July batch, so in turn the retailers' ordering systems that we as customers use show no longer available. I have found this "problem" with Bachmann products too, where Hattons has sold out and further pre-orders have not been accepted for a week or so until their systems have been updated to acknowledge more were coming.

At least there are more coming...

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

The good news in all this is that "The Trade" has seen the frantic demand for a two-coach set of this standard, and will be making a mental note. While a few years too late for my layout, even I am tempted if stock becomes available again. I had a "let me know" reservation with Hattons, which they were unable to fulfill because others had placed firm orders no doubt. It all augurs well for Kernow's LSWR set, and may start a trend across other prototypes, too. I just wonder why it took so long?

Credit to Simon Kohler for a quick response (before the rumour mill really got into top speed) via Graham clarifying the situation that a further batch would be available in July,

Edited by Mod4
Surname spelling corrected

To either clarify or add to the confusion our rep has told us that R3087 (Train Pack) is still in stock at Margate and available to order but R4534 is no out of stock and no further stock will be able to be ordered. What appears to be coming in July is the balance of our original orders as the original delivery from China was short and most dealers (ourselves included) were allocated a percentage of our order. Our rep is adamant that there will be no further production of R4534 but as he is coming to see us next Wednesday (27th June) maybe I can get some further information then. If I hear anything different I will udate.

Dave

I ordered another pair from Tim at ARCADIA Oldham today, as a result of my mentioning that he had stock on Saturday he has now only got one pair left (or at least he did have this afternoon even those may have gone by now).

I got the impression that there were not going to be any more in the forseeable future from what he told me.

Thank you Steve, The last set is on its way to West Dorset.Tim

• RMweb Premium

To either clarify or add to the confusion our rep has told us that R3087 (Train Pack) is still in stock at Margate and available to order but R4534 is no out of stock and no further stock will be able to be ordered. What appears to be coming in July is the balance of our original orders as the original delivery from China was short and most dealers (ourselves included) were allocated a percentage of our order. Our rep is adamant that there will be no further production of R4534 but as he is coming to see us next Wednesday (27th June) maybe I can get some further information then. If I hear anything different I will udate.

Dave

Assuming this is correct, I wonder if all or just some retailers received only a percentage of their orders. The messages/statements people have received from the likes of Hattons/Rails/KernowMRC suggest they had their full allocations because they are saying they cannot order any more. Therefore, anyone who wants this set might be advised to contact their preferred retailers and ask if they received their full order and if not reserve one.

After this problem raised its head I THOUGHT I was happy as I had mine coach-pack on order from a Liverpudlian box shifter since last June - however it appears I was too late in my order.

Yesterday I rang up the company and asked then to check.

Just now (10:00 am Wednesday) I received a phone call back stating that they have been in touch with Hornby and that there will NOT be any further deliveries, and my order is definitely cancelled ! (IF it is re-released I will need to re-order it.)

So, either Simon Kohler has it wrong, or he needs to get his people better informed.

Is it a dastardly plot, if you want the two coach set then you have to buy the M7 with it.

To go to all the expense to tool a pushpull set which would be popular with modellers then only produce a short run is questionable or is the question answered in the first line of this E-Mail.

• RMweb Premium

After this problem raised its head I THOUGHT I was happy as I had mine coach-pack on order from a Liverpudlian box shifter since last June - however it appears I was too late in my order.

Just now (10:00 am Wednesday) I received a phone call back stating that they have been in touch with Hornby and that there will NOT be any further deliveries, and my order is definitely cancelled ! (IF it is re-released I will need to re-order it.)

So, either Simon Kohler has it wrong, or he needs to get his people better informed.

Be fair... the set only appeared in the Hornby 2012 announcements at the new year so you couldn't have pre-ordered it last June :no:. Hattons has told me in the past that its systems only allow pre-orders up to the number ordered/expected into stock. Which may suggest Wicor Models is right that retailers did not get their full orders and more will arrive in July.

Is it a dastardly plot, if you want the two coach set then you have to buy the M7 with it.

To go to all the expense to tool a pushpull set which would be popular with modellers then only produce a short run is questionable or is the question answered in the first line of this E-Mail.

What is a short production run? A run based on pre-orders from retailers plus some extras makes commercial sense. I think it's a pretty safe bet that Hornby will produce another coach pack in future, with a different set number, to satisfy untapped demand once Hornby knows what that is. How about in a train pack with an all new H Class tank...?

You ordered yours last June? You must be psychic! I had to wait until they formally announced it in January this year. Any chance you can tell what to be ordering in 2013? : )
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You ordered yours last June? You must be psychic! I had to wait until they formally announced it in January this year. Any chance you can tell what to be ordering in 2013? : )

Never mind the trains - what can he tell us about the 3.15 at Royal Ascot this afternoon?!
  • Like 4

For anybuddy in, or near, the Poole, Dorset area, Setchfields, 21-25 High Street, Poole, BH15 1AB, Tel. 01202 673300 had, at least two of each (R4534 / R3087) packs, yesterday.

I don't think they offer mail-order service tho'. No e-mail or website either.

I ordered one push-pull coach pack yesterday from a box-shifter on eBay, but got a note this morning that his supplier had not sent them so he cancelled the order and removed the item from eBay and his website. I hate it when Ebay merchants don't actually have the stuff they're selling; I thought it was against Ebay rules?

Anyway, I found another offer on Ebay and called them up to check they really have them in stock (as they are not listed on their website), and they sold me one over the phone. They still have two sets left, so if you hurry up... The shop is AC Models of Eastleigh (02380 610100).