BRM April 2012

Dicky W

Nothing about RMWeb?

As you can see from the OP the mag was finished by 28th Feb but the legal paperwork was only completed at the very end of last week which was necessary before anything became official.

• RMweb Premium

There's a notice on their site which appeared same time as Andy's did on here - of course the PC is going to be faster than print, but that's never been a problem before...looking forward to reading BRM for the first time ^_^

One of the reasons I don't buy so many mags lately is the fact that I get all the "news" I need on here, so I would prefer the mags to have layouts, articles and layout designs/track plans. If BRM can do that I'd be more inclined to buy it, and as others have said, if there is a good deal on subscriptions for RMWebbers I may consider that.

Ed

I did the annual spring clean in my garage yesterday and could have been left feelng pretty guilty by the end of it. But luckily, amongst the magazines I kept were all me old BRM's!

A break with my past was the recycling of 'Rail Enthusiast/Rail' from the first edition plus many other titles purchased over the past 50 or so years.

Guest Natalie Graham

I did the annual spring clean in my garage yesterday and could have been left feelng pretty guilty by the end of it. But luckily, amongst the magazines I kept were all me old BRM's!

A break with my past was the recycling of 'Rail Enthusiast/Rail' from the first edition plus many other titles purchased over the past 50 or so years.

From personal experience you will now enter a long period of repeatedly thinking of something that was in 'that article in that magazine you threw out'. I keep buyng copies of ones I used to have off ebay when I remember some useful article or drawings. :(

Originally they were kept as a record of all the photos I'd had published, then later on the prospect of producing another album was on the horizon and I knew the info in those 'Rail' mags would have been useful. But my mindset has changed in the past two years. Looking back used to be nostalgic but it ain't no more, and I'm afraid all that debris from the past in the garage had begun to look like so much junk. :bomb_mini:

Whilst a regular reader of BRM, the new format appears to increase the number of ads interspersed within features and editorial. Whilst I understand the will of advertisers to get their pages seen, I find that this is to the detriment of the magazine's 'readability', and is akin to excessive pop-ups that sometimes blight websites.

The copy and imagery remains to a high quality, and new fonts and formats are modern and refreshing however For some reason (perhaps a little irrational) I find BRM less attractive to pick up for a five minute read.

N

I agree with Neal the move to mixing advert and articles does not attract me, in fact it irritates me. I am a subscriber and have copies from the very first edition, but if they don't come to their senses I may be very tempted to not renew.

DaveC

I agree with Neal the move to mixing advert and articles does not attract me, in fact it irritates me. I am a subscriber and have copies from the very first edition, but if they don't come to their senses I may be very tempted to not renew.

DaveC

Hi

Exactly what I was thinking, but, wasn't sure how to put it. Definatly a retrograde step, I think BRM will join the ranks of mags I only buy occasionally.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

This edition looks rather good. I don't often buy magazines, as there are several people I know who do and are more than happy to share, but then again, I sometimes find myself with a long train journey looming and nothing to read, so a trip to WHS on Bristol TM, for example, might well yield this issue of BRM... I'd like to see the article on Penhros, for a start..

Hi

Exactly what I was thinking, but, wasn't sure how to put it. Definatly a retrograde step, I think BRM will join the ranks of mags I only buy occasionally.

Ian

Just filled in the BRM reader survey, I would have made my points there had I been given the opportunity!

N

• 3 weeks later...

Oh it's a new look? I wondered why this issue had been printed on the same kind of thin paper used by Model Rail and the weekly TV guide. I subscribe and although generally happy with it, I found this issue somewhat lacking in content. If you removed all the pages concentrating on show previews, there wasn't much left - well not for me anyway.

It is also a shame that Tony Wright has taken a back seat because it was his kit reviews, at the same time as building the kit itself, was one of my main reasons for getting the mag and deciding to subscribe. Hopefully he will still continue to write articles for the magazine.

Unlike RM and Hornby magazine, that provide days of reading material, I find that BRM can be read cover to cover in a matter of hours.

Steve

Thumbing through May's mag the other day in the office I can say that you won't have ads breaking up an article and where they appear in between articles (as with some other mags) the ads are generally in context with the neighbouring content. I felt it looked pretty good from a style and presentation aspect and my crystal ball sees some interesting articles coming up.

Archived