Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

That shows very clearly that you cannot run the tracks parallel onto the sector plate. Each sector plate road needs to be perpendicular to the curved edge. Hence the dog leg to get the approach road at the right angle. I said sector plate but perhaps it is a turntable if so it would make life easier in the fiddle yard. Nice workmanship. Does the overhang of the PCB at the entry  hold the edge of the sector plate/turntable down to ensure the tracks are at the same level?

Don

• RMweb Gold

That shows very clearly that you cannot run the tracks parallel onto the sector plate. Each sector plate road needs to be perpendicular to the curved edge. Hence the dog leg to get the approach road at the right angle. I said sector plate but perhaps it is a turntable if so it would make life easier in the fiddle yard. Nice workmanship. Does the overhang of the PCB at the entry  hold the edge of the sector plate/turntable down to ensure the tracks are at the same level?

Don

The dogleg is to allow greater spacing than normal double track to allow for my fat little fingers, there will eventually be ten roads. With an almost five feet long sector plate the amount of deviation from square to allow two tracks to line up is minimal. The overhang is indeed to ensure the tracks remain level.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

The dogleg is to allow greater spacing than normal double track to allow for my fat little fingers, there will eventually be ten roads. With an almost five feet long sector plate the amount of deviation from square to allow two tracks to line up is minimal. The overhang is indeed to ensure the tracks remain level.

Jerry

I was thinking something shorter or a turntable type where the effect would be greater. I suppose you will need the 5ft length for the long trains even that would only take half of the long freights I used to see at Reading.

This will be a special layout I think.

Don

We have the makings of a fiddle yard........! Some way to go yet.

attachicon.gifIMG_1600.JPG

Jerry

Jerry, what's the little tool with the wooden handle and what looks like an old-fashioned razor blade clamped in it? (I'm sure that when I realise what it is, I'll wonder how I've ever done without one).

Edited by chrisveitch

• RMweb Gold

Jerry, what's the little tool with the wooden handle and what looks like an old-fashioned razor blade clamped in it? (I'm sure that when I realise what it is, I'll wonder how I've ever done without one).

It's an extremely useful little razor saw that I picked up at a show a few years ago. The blade is very sharp and incredibly thin - you get several spares in the case. I use it almost exclusively for cutting rail at baseboard joints or, in this case on the traverser. The rail is laid across the joint, firmly fixed then cut, the very thin blade giving a really small, neat joint.

post-1074-0-67714800-1514654514_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-53670600-1514654608_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 4

It's an extremely useful little razor saw that I picked up at a show a few years ago. The blade is very sharp and incredibly thin - you get several spares in the case. I use it almost exclusively for cutting rail at baseboard joints or, in this case on the traverser. The rail is laid across the joint, firmly fixed then cut, the very thin blade giving a really small, neat joint.

attachicon.gifIMG_1606.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1607.JPG

Jerry

Thanks Jerry - I had wondered if it was for gapping sleepers. Obviously I know now what I need one for ;-) 

JLC Tools are available in the UK:

http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/jlc-saw-anniversary-set-9975-p.asp

Jerry, Richard Wilson and myself all bought ours at Warley from them a couple of years ago.

The blades can be stacked up with the supplied precision spacers allowing several parallel cuts. The JLC cutting jigs are also very well made.

Edward S

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jerry, Richard Wilson and myself all bought ours at Warley from them a couple of years ago.

The blades can be stacked up with the supplied precision spacers allowing several parallel cuts. The JLC cutting jigs are also very well made.

Edward S

Well remembered Ed, I knew I bought it at a show but couldn't remember where. A really handy addition to the toolkit.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Edward S

Even better!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've probably already got enough MR/LMS shutters for Bath but I was asked if I would build one of the half cab 1F 0-6-0Ts so I thought why not make a pair! I've not found any evidence of one working at Bath but 1741 was a long time Gloucester resident so no further excuse needed! Mine will be finished in unlined red with Dealey fittings and large 18" numbers on the tank sides. Some spent a short while in this livery although I've no idea if 1741 was one of them and in any case it would have been black by my period but I want a red one so that's what it will be.

The customers will be lined red with Johnson fittings - I'm not doing the painting!

The first picture shows the basic locos on the bench and in desperate need of a good clean up. The second is 1741 undergoing trials. She passed with flying colours pushing (no couplings yet) the test train up the bank with ease. I've managed to shoehorn 38grams of weight into her and keep the mechanism all but hidden.

Jerry

Nice one Jerry.

Have you got a shot of the chassis, and what motor did you use?

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Jerry.

Have you got a shot of the chassis, and what motor did you use?

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. It has one of the Farish 7mm coreless motors in it driving off the rear axle. The worm will be visible down by the firebox door but with the floor, backhead (lead), and crew I think it will be pretty unobtrusive. I've put a slug of copper tungsten in the boiler, lead in the tanks and in the bunker. She runs well and at 38 grams should have no haulage problems. I will take a picture with the lid off when I get down the workshop later.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare

• RMweb Gold

I thought it was only Dapol that used careless motors ;)

MR shutters with careless motors. A new concept or those bl**dy spell checkers again?

Guilty as charged m'lud. Am I the only one that hankers for the days when spell checkers just checked things when you asked them, not changed words at random according to what they think you might want to say!

Jerry

Guilty as charged m'lud. Am I the only one that hankers for the days when spell checkers just checked things when you asked them, not changed words at random according to what they think you might want to say!

Veering off topic but if you've a smart phone open up a new text and keep tapping the middle highlighted word it's predicting. You can go on for hours with vaguely/worryingly coherent sentences.

• Like 2

Veering off topic but if you've a smart phone open up a new text and keep tapping the middle highlighted word it's predicting. You can go on for hours with vaguely/worryingly coherent sentences.

Or not, as the case may be!

Jim