Kernow Model Centre announce weathered Dapol Westerns

Andy Y

From Chris Trerise at Kernow Model Centre

Dapol Class 52 Western Diesel Weathered Edition OO Gauge

We are pleased to announce four limited edition OO Gauge models from Dapol. These will be the Class 52 Western Diesel Locomotive with weathered finish. Each model is limited to just 250 pieces and will come with a numbered certificate of authenticity. The weathering will be to the same high standard that Dapol employed on many of our previous limited editions.

The Dapol Class 52 Western promises to be an excellent model with many people having collaborated to ensure the model is as accurate as possible. The cad-cams have been developed with possibly the most input from modellers of any model to date.

The price of these models will be £159.95 each. Price rises in China mean that the weathering is much more expensive but we believe the end results justify this and sales of our Class 22 models have given us the confidence to proceed. The good news is that anyone who places a pre-order will be able to purchase for £149.95 but no money is taken until we are ready to send the models in accordance with our standard pre-order policy.

Click on an image to be taken to the order page for that item.

The four models to be produced are: -

D1003W Dapol Class 52 Western Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive number 1068 named "Western Reliance" in BR Blue livery with weathered finish £159.99 (£149.99 for pre-orders)

prod_37226.jpg

D1003X Dapol Class 52 Western Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive number D1042 named "Western Princess" in BR Maroon livery with weathered finish £159.99 (£149.99 for pre-orders)

prod_37224.jpg

D1003Y Dapol Class 52 Western Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive number D1045 named "Western Viscount" in BR Maroon livery with weathered finish £159.99 (£149.99 for pre-orders)

prod_37225.jpg

D1003Z Dapol Class 52 Western Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive number D1030 named "Western Musketeer" in BR Chromatic Blue livery with weathered finish £159.99 (£149.99 for pre-orders)

prod_35096.jpg

The prototype pictures are courtesy and copyright of Bernard Mills and we wish to thank him for the use of his excellent pictures.

Kernow Model Rail Centre

98A Trelowarren Street

Camborne / Kambronn

Cornwall / Kernow

TR14 8AN

Tel: 01209 714099

Web: www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com

Decisions! Oh my.

Having seen the standard of weathering on Kernow's 22 through Dapol I am sure these will be very well received indeed.

I shall be be putting some money where my mouth is but it's a tough call to decide which one(s) should get priority.

• RMweb Gold

No green one - ah, should have remembered, they were always clean :sungum: It'll have to be a maroon one then (to go with the 'desert sand' one already on order from Steam). Oh dear this is turning out to be an expensive year for those of us with western yearnings - but look what we'll get for our money :D .

• RMweb Premium

Another very welcome announcement from Kernow and one we should perhaps not be at all surprised at given the recent Kernow / Dapol weathered releases. Money definitely placed where mouth is here and I can feel the retirement of the remaining Hornby Westerns being announced quite soon.

An interesting manoeuvre from Kernow/Dapol with regard to Western Musketeer (as this model is imminent from Heljan) and one I have been waiting for.

I have the Heljan one on pre-order, but think I will keep my pre-order for the moment. I am aware of the inaccuracies of the Heljan model, but think they show up less severely with a half yellow panel end.

However, I'm afraid I will need further convincing that Dapol can get the right shade of BR blue/Early BR Blue before I consider changing my stance on Musketeer. I notice that that the strange Dapol blue has crept from the baby warship onto the n-gauge hymek recently.

In fact...you know what?..I might send a little note to Kernow about the shade of blue. It would be a shame if it was the same shade as the baby warship.

However, I'm afraid I will need further convincing that Dapol can get the right shade of BR blue/Early BR Blue before I consider changing my stance on Musketeer. I notice that that the strange Dapol blue has crept from the baby warship onto the n-gauge hymek recently.

In fact...you know what?..I might send a little note to Kernow about the shade of blue. It would be a shame if it was the same shade as the baby warship.

I have to agree with this, my blue class 22 is now stripped and awaiting a respray in Railmatch BR blue. I have Kernows green D6315 and other than a bit much weathering to the windows and headcode glazing, (which I have removed and polished) I am very pleased with it.

Just hope Dapol get the blue issue sorted before delivery of the A1A Warships and Westerns.

Happy days, I've been unable to get one but the 22's looked amazing and ven though it'll add significantly to my limited expenditure this year I think I'll have to go for weathered maroon and blue versions... some things are too good to miss!

Hi chaps,

The western blue shade and yellow will be a perfect colour match to Bachmanns OO gauge Deltic.

I have had test paint samples done and they are an exact match.

Fear not.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for that Dave. just hope its not the prototype Deltic blue............only joking. :D

Hi chaps,

The western blue shade and yellow will be a perfect colour match to Bachmanns OO gauge Deltic.

I have had test paint samples done and they are an exact match.

Fear not.

Cheers

Dave

Good news, and also glad to hear that the yellow is getting a revision, good stuff.

Tom

The big question is - "Did Westerns ever run on Southern rails?"

If the answer is "never" then I have just had a narrow fiscal escape...

If yes, then does anyone know which ones? in what liveries? and when? and where? and was it a regular occurence for a while?

So far I have found no evidence that they did, I know that the Warships did..

The big question is - "Did Westerns ever run on Southern rails?"

If the answer is "never" then I have just had a narrow fiscal escape...

If yes, then does anyone know which ones? in what liveries? and when? and where? and was it a regular occurence for a while?

So far I have found no evidence that they did, I know that the Warships did..

Not "never" - see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28120463@N07/5027309506/

(was that the answer you really wanted?)

• RMweb Premium

Westerns ran frequently on SR metals.

They worked Wiltshire - Merstham stone trains during the construction of the M25 with at least one daily train. They were daily performers on stone trains to Fareham usually via Salisbury and Chandler's Ford. They appeared on freights via Reading - Basingstoke, usually to and from Eastleigh, on occasions and were quite frequent visitors to Clapham Junction on transfer freights.

Their passenger forays onto the SR were less common. They have certainly reached Brighton as one worked a South Wales - Brighton chartex along the coast on one occasion and was then stranded at the Sussex town (it wasn't a city then) for several days until a WR driver could be found to take it away again. Even before the rush of "farewell" specials which took them far and wide they could turn up occasionally on the Exeter - Yeovil - Castle Cary section with diversions (most of which many of us would consider "Southern" territory) and sometimes via Salisbury as well.

• RMweb Gold

One weekend I converted the entire Waterloo -Exeter service west of Salisbury to D10XX haulage to deal with the flooding at Gillingham (which had done something fairly nasty to a Crompton). So all trains changed engines at Salisbury for two days - great fun, and I was paid for doing it.

• RMweb Premium

That's certainly good news, particularly now that has reassured about about the blue and yellow to be used. I will almost certainly go for the weathered BR Blue one as that is how I remember them best. I'll also get a maroon one, but that will be in "ex-works" condition. Whether I will be able to justify more from a funding perspective remains to be seen, sadly. Will the names and numbers be pre-fitted I wonder, if they won't on the standard releases. Something to ask KMRC in due course.

As regards Westerns on the Southern, the transfer freights Gwiwer refers to at Clapham Jct. would most likely be Acton-Norwood workings, which regularly produced a Western.

But what about Waterloo? I'm convinced I've seen a photo ages ago of a Western at Waterloo on a WofE working but haven't ever been able to find it again. Does anyone know if a Western did work through?

• RMweb Gold

But what about Waterloo? I'm convinced I've seen a photo ages ago of a Western at Waterloo on a WofE working but haven't ever been able to find it again. Does anyone know if a Western did work through?

While it wouldn't necessarily totally preclude it I don't think there were any depots which knew 1000s which also knew the road into Waterloo.

So, from all revealed so far, they ran on SR rails during the BR corporate blue era - so I will have to be getting a blue one.

Not really an imposition as they look to be very lovely models of a very hard to get right prototype.

Thanks...

• RMweb Premium

1068 never faded quite as badly as some of the other Class 52s but was certainly not in good condition towards the end. One very noticable feature of the loco was a diagonal rectangle of welded plate at one end, a rough looking repair that made her very easy to identify from that end.

• RMweb Gold

1068 was the machine on the Swindon turntable on display until someone pointed out her Crewe origins when she was hastily changed for D1015 by all accounts.

I can attest for 52s on Weymouth-Bristols had a spirited ride behind 1068 in summer 1975 on such a train, sunburn, ice creams and a 52 home. Bliss.

I will certainly be ordering 1068, but wonder if Kernow will eventually do D1065 in 1976 condition.

Neil

Archived