Heljan Class 58's

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I was wondering if Heljan have completely dropped the Class 58 from their lineup? There seems to have been no releases for quite some time and they have also all but dried up on the second hand market.

Are there any plans to release any more as the only competition is the awful Hornby thing and even that seems to have all but gone.

• RMweb Gold

Hattons still have 6 available in Mainline Freight grey at £49 each....

The model got quite a panning when released though, the moulds are probably in the same cupboard they have just put the Cl86 in?

What was the main problem with them? I recall that the bogies need a little bit of work but were there problems with the body too? I never had the 58 down as one of Heljan's poorer efforts like the 86 but willing to be corrected.

I don't recall any particular major disasters with the 58's, just a few niggling errors with window dimensions, livery errors and lighting faults.

The trouble being that people were waiting for them with some anticipation and felt Heljan had perhaps not made the definitive model they were hoping for.

Overall the reception I saw was not overly enthusiastic, though perhaps the market for post 1980's heavy freight is limited anyway?

• RMweb Premium

I do recall there were some livery errors so I held off buying one from the initial releases and waited with anticipation for a later release but it never came.

May just pick up a Hattons cheapie and get to work with the paint if I feel the need!!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info everyone.

The lighting problems rings a bell and I now recall some issue with the printing of the cabside numbers but nothing too serious. I must have a look at the windows. I bought one awhile ago cheap from Hattons and will eventually get around to re-numbering it.

The original trainload versions were missing the black paint on the cab doors and the grey on the bodyside grills. This made them look a little plain in my eyes. This was also the batch that had the wiring problems when chipped and needed a capacitor snipping out to rectify. Neither were big issues that couldn't be fixed but the thoughts of many, myself included, would be why should the consumer have to fix such basic faults.

The second batch was much better in this respect and I picked up one of each in trainload coal (58048) and Railfreight red stripe (58041). The trainload coal version (Coventry Colliery) has the depot plaque on the drivers door rather than the secondman's door. Not a particularly big error, but another one nevertheless.

So the second batch pretty much re-ran the first liveries but with most of the errors fixed and I guess between them, must have satisfied the need of most modellers (unless you were modelling Shirebrook in the late 80's :) . When it comes down to it I guess it always had it's limitations in model form. There were only 6 British liveries to pick from (and that's including EW&S plus EWS which are subtle variations of the same livery in many respects) and a circa 20 year lifespan of the prototype. It doesn't have the cult following of the transition era diesels that Heljan seem to have found successful for them, though these are marketed as limited runs so I presume weren't manufactured in the same quantity as the model 58s.

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if there will ever be another run of this model. Its better than the Hornby model. I've not seen a used one for a long time, so people I guess are hanging onto them?

I posed that very question to Howes only last week, commenting on the high demand and £££ for second hand models.  I was told that another run is going/likely to take place in probably 6-9 months time.

• 2 months later...

Hi !

I have also spoken to howes today but was told the complete opposite ?! I wanted to know because I currently have a 58 I'm selling and wanted to know if I should keep the profits back in the hope I can get hold of an ews version with it !

Marcus

Yes Carefreefc, I was confused as well.  Having enquire politely at Warley at the Heljan stand about further batches of replacement wheel-sets and 58's and was told in a very brusque and insulting manner that there would be none and then he walked off.  His manners (or lack of) really got my back up :ireful: .  I believe the lack of future wheel sets is something along the lines of Heljan will only produce batches of X size which is farrrr in excessive of what the anticipated demand could be.  Reading between the lines I think we may have difficulty obtaining spares support for some of the 'legacy' items in their ranges.

Well well well. . . . . . seems that Olivia Trains are doing some 58's with Heljan.  Details here ;  http://www.oliviastrains.com/olivias-latest-additions/

Cut and paste details below.

Olivia’s Trains/ Heljan are pleased to announce that we will be releasing 8 New versions of the Class 58.
The Following will be produced:

Estimated Delivery November – December 2014.

Locomotive Prices:
£116 – Analogue.
£132 – Decoder Fitted.
£221 – Olivia’s Sound Fitted.
Additional Work Available:
£ 7 – Cab Light (Per Cab- DCC Only)
£20 – Weathering &/ or Renumber.
£ 3 – etched Depot Plaques & Nameplates (Where Applicable)

With examples going for anything from £125 - £200 on ebay this is a most welcome development.

I do hope they are going to make an effort to correct the well-publicised errors/faults with this model before the second run.

(It was quite critically reviewed in several publications and I think their was a large article in Traction magazine at the time?)

Igor

I do hope they are going to make an effort to correct the well-publicised errors/faults with this model before the second run.

(It was quite critically reviewed in several publications and I think their was a large article in Traction magazine at the time?)

Igor

Igor, without stating what the perceived faults are you are just spreading rumours. Searching for "Heljan Class 58 errors" on Google doesn't really help so stating that the errors are "well publicised" just isn't true.

I don't think livery problems or electrical issues are really "errors" as both of these are easily correctable unlike errors with the basic shape (think Class 33/0 roof profile, Class 86 cab etc). There are a few issues with the alignment of the wheels and e.g. late detail variations appearing on a model of an early prototype but this kind of thing happens all the time (e.g. Hornby never seem quite able to get all the detail variations 100% correct for the given prototype with some of their 56 releases).

On balance, the Heljan model is a pretty good one!

Guy

I don't think livery problems or electrical issues are really "errors" as both of these are easily correctable unlike errors with the basic shape (think Class 33/0 roof profile, Class 86 cab etc). There are a few issues with the alignment of the wheels and e.g. late detail variations appearing on a model of an early prototype but this kind of thing happens all the time (e.g. Hornby never seem quite able to get all the detail variations 100% correct for the given prototype with some of their 56 releases).

Guy,

If the are easily correctable or not doesn't matter. They shouldn't happen at all on a new model! And just because Hornby are so bad doesn't make it OK.

There were quiet a few painting 'howlers' and I remember the reviews in Traction Modeller and Railway Express at the time weren't the most flattering. Underwhelmed I think they said. I haven't got them in front of me.

Being a bit of a bone fan myself, there's something not right about the cabside window shape and the cab door windows were in the wrong position. I made a list at the time but that's probably filed away with the old back issues!

Was this the one where they spelt 'Mainline' wrong?

Igor

Whilst I don't recall any shape issues being reported as significant issues and none that irked with me (though I stand to be corrected) there were two main livery issues in with the original releases.

Firstly are the overly heavy '58' versus the running number on the Railfreight red stripe models which made it look a little like '58 001'.

Secondly are the missing black cab doors/grey bodyside doors on the first batch of Trainload versions. This was corrected for the second batch though the depot plaque for 'Coventry Colliery' was incorrectly printed on the driver's cabside door rather than the secondman's.

Interestingly the Olivias artwork (which hopefully is just representative of the actual models and not finalised) seems to show the heavy '58' on the Railfreight models yet again (see http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/139056245011058221_side1.jpg and http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/139056245011058221_side1.jpg).

Whilst the Plain Triple Grey livery (http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/139056235611058261_side1.jpg) looks to be correct the Trainload Coal (http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/139056426611058211_side1.jpg) and Mainline Grey (http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/139083295611058201_side1.jpg) versions are missing the black cab doors and grey bodyside doors again.

Still, at least the spelling of 'Mainline' looks to be correct.

Perhaps old artwork has simply been tweaked as a representation of liveries for Olivias. Heljan got the second batch pretty much right from a livery perspective so there's no reason they can't do it again. Let's wait and see.

Why do you have to single out Hornby, are you forgetting that all the manufactures have made and are still making mistakes.

Not singling them out, just providing an example of where, for a given class, there are a lot of detail variations and how it is hard for a manufacturer to get the right variations for a chosen class member at a point in time.

e.g. with the 56 you have variations with:

• cab window style
  • buffer beam cowling (full/half/none)
  • buffers
  • cab grill
  • bodyside grills
  • cab door handrail lengths
  • headlight
  • marker lights

These varied throughout the class and through time as various components got replaced.

Archived