Heljan Class 58's

John M Upton

If the are easily correctable or not doesn't matter. 

I disagree. Having errors that are easily correctable makes a massive difference to getting a model that is correct. I'd much rather have a couple of bits to repaint because of a livery balls-up than having to totally re-shape a model because e.g. on the Heljan 86 the windows and sides are wrong.

Having said that, I agree with you that there is no real excuse for making mistakes like this with a new model. In this internet age there are so many photos out there that not studying the prototype hard enough shouldn't be an excuse for errors on a model.

Guy

Not singling them out, just providing an example of where, for a given class, there are a lot of detail variations and how it is hard for a manufacturer to get the right variations for a chosen class member at a point in time.

I was actually asking Igor why.

• 2 weeks later...

I went into my local model shop last weekend and was lucky enough to pick up some mint second hand models one of which was a Heljan Class 58 in Railfreight red stripe livery for the very reasonable price of £60. I realy want one in EWS or EW&S livery, but if it comes to it I can respray this model.

I have to say that it is a superb looking model, nothing but a class 58 and I am very pleased with it.

The only thing I dont like about it is the open cab window which is present on a lot of models and a bit gimmicky to my eyes.

I went into my local model shop last weekend and was lucky enough to pick up some mint second hand models one of which was a Heljan Class 58 in Railfreight red stripe livery for the very reasonable price of £60. I realy want one in EWS or EW&S livery, but if it comes to it I can respray this model......

I hope you have stocks of EW&S/EWS decals, as DB Schenker has more or less destroyed the prospect of new batches being made due to their extortionate licensing fees, which is why Fox Transfers no longer make them.

I hope you have stocks of EW&S/EWS decals, as DB Schenker has more or less destroyed the prospect of new batches being made due to their extortionate licensing fees, which is why Fox Transfers no longer make them.

I'd ask http://www.precisionlabels.com/ as they do number sets for EWS locos on request, Have just got some myself for a class 37.

• 2 months later...

I was in Olivia's Trains Shop on Saturday 3rd May and I was talking to Neil the shop owner about the Heljan Class 58's.

He showed me the body samples which they currently have, & they have approved 58271 - EW&S Maroon & Gold - 58016 body sample as well as one other one either Heljan 58201(58012), 58211 (58045), or 58261 (58028).

Only two have been approved so far, but by the way Neil was holding the Triple-Grey Class 58 I could not tell if it had any logo's on it & I did not see what number it was. I only remember that the EW&S one was 58016 as by chance that is also the same loco at Barrow Hill which I sometimes volunteer on & which I look after the website for the Class 58 Locomotive Group.

He did hint that there could be some more next year & is open to suggestions, but we must not leave it too long of people,are interested.

• 5 weeks later...

The price of Heljan 58s seem ironic, because I remember Hattons having the Mainline triple grey and EWS on offer for less than £50 quid. Oh how I wish I'd bought one of the latter at the time!

What is ironic about the price? Are you expecting Olivia's Trains to sell the Class 58 for £70 for a non DCC fitted loco, considering you our then paying another £50 for professional painting into whatever livery you choose?

The only difference is that Heljan would be producing the batch of 5x mentioned on the website, but also correcting all the detailing errors from the first model thus saving some modelling time correcting the fiddly bits. That's not to say people will not add flush glazing, wire mesh grills and also wire handrails as well as adding cab refinements.

If you want a cheaper inaccurate model then buy the Boxshifter rejects like what people are doing with the old Bachmann Class 40 & Western but after reading the Heljan Review we did in 2008, both versions would take some amount of surgery to correct them. Something that I would rather have been done correctly at the factory. It is not like you buy a new car from your local showroom & then end up correcting faults with it.

Yes people modify there cars but I don't buy stuff to waste tons of cash modifying it!

• RMweb Premium

I feel you've taken my comment out of context.

At the time I was very close to buying one, but as ever pressure my cash-flow dictated otherwise. If I was a profiteer on eBay, a loco bought for £49 then, would possible sell for £100 on said auction site today. Hence being ironic how supply and demand cause fluctuation in the value of models from the original production run.

For my personal modelling period and location, 58s where a rare visitor, so for me personally its lower down my wish list of future purchases.

However in your comment, it may suggest inaccuracies found in the original production run are to be corrected?

Personally I'd prefer a super detailed and accurate model, than going back to the standards of 20-30 years ago. Others may have different views, wants and needs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just noticed this statement on the page for 58045...

"Unfortunately we have made the same mistake Heljan did on previous release, we have missed off the cab doors being black, as it is too late to correct this, we are offering a repaint of the doors for an additional £5."

..shouldn't they be correcting this for free? Bit cheeky asking the customer to foot the bill for a mistake made by the supplier.

Just noticed this statement on the page for 58045...

"Unfortunately we have made the same mistake Heljan did on previous release, we have missed off the cab doors being black, as it is too late to correct this, we are offering a repaint of the doors for an additional £5."

..shouldn't they be correcting this for free? Bit cheeky asking the customer to foot the bill for a mistake made by the supplier.

Oh dear, that is some cheek ....... "Thanks for buying this model off us for £125.00, oh by the way we c**ked up the livery, but for an extra £5.00 we can paint it in for you" .... more neck than a giraffe springs to mind.

I had to read the sentence 'Olivias will repaint the doors for an additional £5' in the new rail express twice before it sunk in, pay an extra fiver on a ton and a quarter pound model, thanks but I'll pass. Asking to pay for an error they have made with Heljan! More front than Brighton. Disgusting.

if OT checked the livery sample then they should have said nothing and just got on with the door painting.

if they rejected a sample but Heljan still delivered regardless then that sounds like breach of contract and the whole batch should have gone back for Heljan to do the ectra painting.

this has done nothing for the often downtrodden reputation of OTs.

Archived