Is there an Easter 2015 update?
Easter 2015 was insanely busy work wise. I also had to fore go some of my other hobbies such as sleeping and eating
However, here is the Summer 2015 update - although sadly it is now 15 months since Nell's Bridge saw the light of day.
I can't remember which article it was, but one of the Railway Modeller articles was talking about private owner loco fleets. This was of course referring to narrow gauge modelling and mentioned how rarely we see private owner standard gauge fleets (at least on this side of the pond). This article, and Rev Audrey's biography by Brian Sidley got me thinking ...
... so now Nell's Bridge is in the process of gaining its own locomotive fleet. All very improbable, but as they say, it's my trainset!
The locomotive fleet currently comprises of a Bachmann Jinty, Bachmann 57xx pannier, Hornby J94, Hornby Caledonian Pug and a Bachmann Wainwright C. All except the latter I believe found their way into private owner hands at some point. The C class is substituting for an O1 (which did work privately) as my kit building skills still arn't up to it yet. These locos have had their original identities removed and new names and numbers supplied by Narrow Planet. I have no connection except as a very satisifed customer of their 4mm and 7mm plates.
This weekend two new additions have been made to the fleet in the form of a re-painted pill box brake van and an ex-BR class 03. The latter was acquired from Chatham show for a bargain price. It was in BR blue, but the owner had replaced the double arrow logo with a lion and wheel ... not sure why.
Both vehicles have been disassembled, cleaned up and resprayed bright red using humbrol cans ... and what a pain in the tail-end that was. The paint went on OK, but the spray varnish turned both models milky white. Thankfully the interweb came to the rescue and I found some military models who cured the problem by cleaning the models in olive oil (and washing them afterwards). It took 2 attempts, but really did the trick, although I have vowed never to use humbrol spray varnish again. Next up I had to replace the glazing as I forgot to mask the inside (doh!). When I fitted the replacement I used super glue which ... went white too ... thankfully the interweb rescued me again and a quick trip to Boots sorted me out with some acetone.
For anyone thinking of doing something similar to the latest Bachmann 03 all I would say is, allow plenty of time ... it took me longer to re-assemble the darn thing than it did to apply 3 layers of paint and 2 layers of varnish.
However, it is now done and it is immensly satisfying to do it myself, despite all the mistakes! When I manage to retrieve our digital camera I'll post some pics ...