Guest Jim Read

My goodness Andy that coach is amazing and just what I'd been looking for, I'd seen a contractors coach in the book about the Tanat Valley line but that's just an indistinct photo. Fair play to you for finding this.

Did you cut the beading out of card with a scapel?

Jim

I did, Jim - a scalpel, a couple of new blades, free usage of some offensive vocabulary and several false starts!

Was slightly unhappy with the indistinct line where the doors opened, so remade it as separate sections with a full length panel at the back. the gap is probably too big now between the doors and the sides :banghead:

I have started to work on a guard / 3rd version too, but ought to finish this first! what do you recon? unbraked or vacuum?

post-11344-0-60896800-1333052718.jpg

post-11344-0-23306700-1333052729.jpg

And a couple of pictures to prove I am really trying to build it ....

post-11344-0-29606600-1333054124.jpg

and a close-up of the running gear and buffers - card for the axle boxes and springs; brass picture nail, card and sticky labels for the buffers

I'm not saying that it is the best way but hey, time is money and at least I know I will have a little more time tomorrow :D

post-11344-0-40217000-1333054293.jpg

Guest Jim Read

They look Reely Grate Andy, I like the way you've made the axle boxes, W irons and the springs, I must have a go at it myself.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

Saw you post above and would like the PDF please, I'll swap you for an 8ft 6ins GW cattle wagon I just found in a book of wagon drawings I'd forgotten about.

Cheers - Jim

Hi,

I made a couple of similar 4 wheel coaches quite a few years ago in 7mm from plasticard. I can't remember now where I got the drawings from (would have been a magazine I think) but they were definitely vacuum braked.

Alan.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

Looked at the history of train brakes, experiments in 1875 with, chain, air and vacuum, nasty crash in 1876 brought it to the railway company's attention and between then and 1890 passenger trains got brakes. A lot of small companies I would imagine on small branch lines would have continued with the brake in the guards van until legislation stopped them.

Even so the Bishops Castle railway in the 1920's; train to Lydham Heath, shunted a few wagons there, then pushed the train [with passengers in the coach] uncoupled into Bishops Castle.

Jim

If you like the coach, brake van and salt van, and want to have a go - here is a pdf of the sheets I created. no instructions, but think layers - like an onion :D

If you have a go and find it doesn't make sense, drop me a line!

cheers

Andy

nsr 4 wheel coach.pdf

w irons and axle boxes.pdf

garstang and knott end railway van.pdf

pdandsw brake van.pdf

Determined to finish this coach, the roof is on, awaiting a coat of paint and some lamps - only 2 for the 4 compartments! Laziness might mean I leave it unbraked, which would give me a reason for the brake 3rd. also, I want to run mixed trains and my goods stock is definately not vacuum fitted. what would happen in that case?

post-11344-0-91429100-1333355678.jpg

and just for Jobsmodelling, who pointed out that, on a model railway, anything was possible, my vintage stock being pulled by the Y6 :D

anyone got a prototype for that?

post-11344-0-90881400-1333356054.jpg

post-11344-0-45266200-1333356065.jpg

Guest Jim Read

Reely Grate stuff Andy it reminds me of the parlous state of the Potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway. I wouldn't want to pile you up with projects but there is a little loco from The Chronicles of Boulton's Siding that would suit these coaches, you can see it under my name.

Jim

Like to see that vintage stock of you.

Nice to see these card build stock.

I'm looking forward to see the finished coach.

Maybe in the future I can try to build some OO freight stock for a diorama. I have some drawings.

Something from the Wisbech light railway.

Regards,

Job

Vintage stock "drawings" here.

Very basic, no instructions, no chassis, but might be of some use.

vintage stock.pdf

I have some models with instructions here, also thread on making card rolling stock for 7mm narrow gauge - mind you, I suspect most of you have found it already!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51869-7mm-narrow-gauge-in-card/

Some layout progress at last - backscene painted - apologies for any odd colours, I am a bit colourblind :)

Probably be significantly hidden by low relief buildings when I ca find suitable rural ones I like.

post-11344-0-17479700-1333547466_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-54676600-1333547475_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-62332100-1333547487_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-14371500-1333547500.jpg

post-11344-0-16618400-1333547519_thumb.jpg

Thank, both!

Hrry - that is sort of where my thinking lay :)

Job- low relief walls and warehouses are planned, as you suggested so the layout will start to feel a little more enclosed. Maybe a low relief engine shed to the left of the station too, if it looks ok. You are right that it needs something to hide the join in a plausible way.

cheers

Andy

Admitted defeat last night, and built a bridge over te exit to the layout. I couldn't hide the holes well enough without blocking half of the view of a very small layout....

feel somehow ashamed right now :D - wanted to be innovative, but at least it makes for a neat exit.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

I've always had a problem with the exit from the layout and on all my previous ones I went for a 'full frontal fiddle yard' ballasted track etc. This time though I am in the same predicament as you I will have buildings either side of the exit track and was thinking of putting a bridge of some sort with the name of the foundry on, or just leaving it as a gap.

Like the way you've painted that backscene it looks authentic model railway style.

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for the comments, and glad you like the backscene! (mind you I am now working on hiding a lot of it behind buildings :D )

how about loads of pipes coming out of your factory to hide the exit? maybe even with a bit of steam/smoke leaking from it?...

I havent helped myself on this one, there was no spare space for anything to hide the exit, or to go in front of the hidden sidings convincingly. hey ho :)

Andy

Hi Andy,

Is it possible to put the goods shed against the siding of the layout. Your narrow gauge could leave the layout there.

In front of your layout you could try some planked wooden coal shed for your local coal merchant so you can't see the end of the track.

Of the inside of a normal gauge old good wagon, card build, used as a storage.

I hope this suggestion are helpful.

Job

Hi Job - it is thanks, athough I think I have already gone too far to reverse the plans - thats the problem using card for the baseboard, it doesn't take well to tweaking, or even to having something removed. The goods shed hides most of the narrow gauge exit already, the fence and tree will do the rest, but the bridge will have to span both tracks if it spans one :) the standard gauge is only 5mm from the front of the layout, so a single wall is about all I have space for.

hope the pictures help explain. my first try at doing stonework by embossing it on to foamboard, too. I have done this for bricks on Charlie's zoo layout, but not tried it on a "proper" model. mortar retouched with a white pen afterwards. I know it looks very neat and new, but I am really not into heavy weathering. Might have to be though...

post-11344-0-67125700-1333922948.jpg

post-11344-0-75768400-1333922969.jpg

post-11344-0-16285700-1333922981.jpg

post-11344-0-20439700-1333923001.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I like the colours of the stonework ...

... would it be worthwhile to omit the thin wall on the viewing side of the bridge. Then you could model the detail of the underside of the girder span (leave it 'hanging in mid air' like the brick arches on the approach of the model Liverpol Lime Street) ... and put a piece of card upright in front of the fiddle yard, immediately after the bridge, with perhaps a public timetable or a working schedule on display. I'm not sure how the fiddle yard should look, so this may be the opposite of what you need ...

Archived