Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

Good idea about the pipes it would tie in well with Don's idea of the Cupola I'll have to find some thick cable, got some somewhere .................. goes off to find it.

Jim

OOOO nice idea. I like the idea of the hanging bridge :) will definately use that idea at some point, and I am intending detailing the underside of the bridge (it is pretty visible anyway) however, as the fiddleyard is only 12" long, I need the bridge to be enclosed like this to get as much length as possible :)

Shining like a gold sov in a sweep's ear 'ole : the nameplates for the tram loco.

No apologies, even though I am sure it will make a few people retch - but I was offered the plates by Rob Pulham (many thanks, Rob) and couldn't resist. I will however stay stroong and not paint the skirts grey. Wierd thing is, the original Toby just has a 7 :D

anyway, this is in adherance to rule one: its my trainset; excused by the idea of it being a private light railway (or maybe a preserved line)

post-11344-0-01999200-1334440934.jpg

post-11344-0-47285900-1334440945.jpg

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

That's a Simplex! [isn't it] looks Reely Grate I like the way you've done the radiator.

Jim

Thank you both for your regional encouragement!

and yes, a Simplex - hopefully going to end up passing as a protedcted vesion - a "Tin Turtle", or more of a cardboard conch in my case :)

I doubt that the radiator has a diamond pattern on it but that is what I had to hand, and it will be barely visible when the loco is finished. I need to find a suitable driver, too - possibly in WW1 fatigues - would need to come up with a suitable story to explain the outfit, though :D

making the curved fronts is going to be a case of glue it on and cut off everything that doesnt need to be there, I think. nightmare.

Got a lot of very small rivets to produce too - probably with blobs of glue. need to get that right to get the real feel of the loco

Andy

next step...

post-11344-0-62780700-1335304095.jpg

does it need doors, do we think?

next step - some more work on the layout. I had been working on a couple of buildings for along the backscene, but they were WAY too big. Any ideas? something vaguely rural / shed / warehouse rather than industrial would be cool.

• RMweb Premium

next step - some more work on the layout. I had been working on a couple of buildings for along the backscene, but they were WAY too big. Any ideas? something vaguely rural / shed / warehouse rather than industrial would be cool.

How about a crinkle crankle wall marking the boundary of a country estate? Suppose it was 6 feet high this could look quite substantial in 7 mm scale. A chance for some compound and reversing curves in cardboad too!

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

CG Textures have some Buildings/Barns that could be let into a wall and the wall could come from anything under Brick there's some great stuff to choose from.

The Simplex looks great.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Just to prove I have been doing something - I want to surround the layout with buildings - I think I am going with a rural theme though. So, a dutch barn, which could always be part of the museum of farming and transport, if I decide to go that route. If not, a barn is suitably rural. Interesting how a dutch barn means something different depending on the country you are in :)

do we think it looks ok?

post-11344-0-24015100-1336256198_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-11068100-1336256215_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-35900800-1336256225_thumb.jpg

Cheers Jim,

the corrugations are from card from some fancy boxes (called deli trays) that Vicki does Christmas hampers as presents in (we do a lot of jam making and so on :) ) we could only buy them in pack of 25, so I was able to scrounge one :D . It works out as just about bang on for 7mm corrugated iron - I used it on the roof of the shed and station buildings too. I think you can get similar in hobby shops, but always pretty pricey. It is really nice card, though. the other 60 or so boxes we have left will be good for the steelworks model .......

am rapidly coming to the conclusion that charlie's yard won't work :(

not enough space, and very tight behind the shed. maybe my original idea of a cross between WHHR porthmadog and WHR caernarfon was better after all....

what do we think?

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

I think your idea of the transhipment is a good one and is still viable. I think a little more operational interest is needed may I suggest;

5y4y1.jpg

I just went and measured the distance between two 0 Gauge tracks on my layout and it's 5" and that could be reduced, my wagons don't overhang the sleepers. The shed would have to go and be replaced by a platform, let 'em work in the rain.

You would have to incorporate a traverser but that would make the operation more interesting and the two points would give you a loco run round.

Or something like that :-)

Jim

Archived