Oliver Cromwell stranded at Cleethorpes

chriswright03

When something similar happened to the Duke of Gloucester, did they not take the motion down on one side, bung that cylinder in neutral and steam back on only one?

In any event, I wouldn't have thought that a busted piston ring would do more than affect performance, surely?

When something similar happened to the Duke of Gloucester, did they not take the motion down on one side, bung that cylinder in neutral and steam back on only one?

Wasn't that Britannia some years ago? I seem to recall she limped home with the motion on one side dismantled. Could be a different incident of course.

• RMweb Premium

In any event, I wouldn't have thought that a busted piston ring would do more than affect performance, surely?

Just going on information provided by the support crew, who actually changed the rings yesterday.

Given the current performance regiem on Network Rail and regarding steam on the ECML, anything that compromises performance should surly be avoided.

• RMweb Gold

Given the current performance regiem on Network Rail and regarding steam on the ECML, anything that compromises performance should surly be avoided.

Steam hauled specials? (retires to nuclear proof bunker with tongue firmly in cheek, BUT unless steam locos perform consistently reliably they will be impinging on network performance and folk shouldn't forget that in my view).

If such a thing did happen with DoG, it starting out with three cylinders gives the advantage of not going 'blind' in the event of an unplanned stop. A loco reduced to a single cylinder is always vulnerable to being unable to restart, and you can bet that it will happen in the worst possible location. The problem with a broken piston ring is what the pieces do if the cylinder is put to steam. A heavily scored cylinder liner is the least serious outcome, and significantly worse damage is possible.

I believe that when 70000 limped home on one cylinder, it was a hot big end that was the problem.

Broken ring(s), depending on how badly, could, in extreme cases, allow steam to bypass them and so act on both sides of the piston, to a more or less extent putting that cylinder out of action. Not good at the head of a heavy train.

A loco reduced to a single cylinder is always vulnerable to being unable to restart, and you can bet that it will happen in the worst possible location.

I seem to recall seeing a photo/film (I forget which) of a Victorian loco with just that problem - a large 'jemmy' bar was kept in the tender for such occasions, whereupon the Fireman would get out, and jam it under a driving wheel to move away from TDC/BDC.

66077 then

I'd have guessed 177 or 122 from this crop - what do you think?:

post-6971-0-51107500-1331400161.jpg

There's some interesting photo locations around there, although those freight lines need either a freight timetable or a great deal of luck. I had some of the latter, but the whole area was busy with freight for a Saturday morning. and I missed more than I photographed.

Archived