Dapol working signals review

Andy Y

I missed this thread originally until it popped up this afternoon. An amazing product that modellers have waited years for. I'm not a signalling aficionado and so I like the look of the GWR lower quadrant signals, which in my layout will do as LNWR ones! If this product sells really well I hope a junction bracket signal will be considered.

I know there's quite a bit more planned including brackets as you say Larry but I'm sure the eventual scope of the range may depend upon sales of the initial bread and butter lines.

• Like 1

Placed an order for some 4mm LMS/BR ones and have been told that I may not get all I need :resent: so they sound like they may be selling out just on the pre-orders! I wonder how many are actually being produced in the initial manufacturing run?

Hi Martin,

Have no fear. We have just doubled the order from China so there should be enough for everyone.

However if I hear that they cannot produce the extra immediately because of established production schedules I'll let you know here.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Dave,

Running before we can walk, when can we have LNER ones in 2mm, and is there any proposal to make bracket signals?

No pressure! ;)

Best wishes,

Mike

Sorry....forgot to say....very impressive

Edited by Mike J

Bracket signals are currently being designed in both gauges, but as you can imagine its slightly more complex than normal posts.

I have also started to design southern signal posts "ladder type" as well, and I have figured out how to mould them as that would have been problematic.

LNER ones will come, probably right after Southern.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Mr D,

Dont worry as we aim to make the signal range a permanent stock feature.

The only thing is that at the start it might take a little while for stock levels to even out and allow us to get a 'handle' on production runs.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Great addition to N Gauge-Delighted!! Only concern is that Dapol make enough of each design to go round and for a long period as it will take me a while to replace my Colour lights with proper Railway signals.Well done Dapol!

Colour lights are proper railway signals.

Still like to see some photos of the LMS ones if there are any available please.

• Like 4

Thanks Dave for your prompt response.Thats great as ive had difficulty in obtaining Dapol Items previously.Also Sorry..... i know Colour Lights are proper signals as well and i like them too but i preferred my Local area (Especially Dundee)when it had the semaphores and im delighted that now we can get working ones in N Gauge to recreate the past.

• RMweb Gold

I have also started to design southern signal posts "ladder type" as well,

By ladder do you mean the rail built ones then? Or lattice rather than ladder?

About cost, when you think that at full retail you can get three working signals for the price of one working loco they seem very good value. The advantage is you can add them later just by making sure there's enough room for the base plate.

I'll be waiting for the SR ones and my father will be getting LNER ones so let's hope the GWR and LMS ones sell well :)

Hi Martin,

Have no fear. We have just doubled the order from China so there should be enough for everyone.

However if I hear that they cannot produce the extra immediately because of established production schedules I'll let you know here.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave - great news. Just realised I will probably end up with more signals than trees if I'm not careful!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave - great news. Just realised I will probably end up with more signals than trees if I'm not careful!

You model the North Eastern then ?

(signalling joke)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how easy it will be to customise these signals. For instance, using a different signal arm.

That will be an interesting area to investigate - Ratio arms might be suitable being plastic and thus thicker than etched but if etched arms are a runner then plenty of variety will be at hand for some of us.

excellent product , gap filling most certainly. I'd be surprised if these didn't win an award this year....

I guess i would need round post for GWR circa 1982 ?So would have to wait for those.

If these are 16 V AC can you just hook up a switch from the DCC output of my prodigy or am I over simplifying the case ?