Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How do you know if you're made it as a railway modeller?

• RMweb Premium

The most vocal critics are not always the most knowledgeable. I always take a selection of research material with me when exhibiting. Useful to silence the loud but incorrect know it alls.

Those that do know and can help do it differently. A quiet word, a reference of their own and often info emailed or posted afterwards.

It takes a while to apply a filter and be able to identify if people are 'helping' to build their own self-importance or helping you to make your efforts better. Thankfully the latter greatly outnumber the former on this forum and at shows.

• Like 3

I didn't say that recognition was the only reason for modelling, but it is important to most people, even those that are happy in their own skin. To consider the opinions of others as irrelevant could be seen as arrogant.

As ever, it's about balance isnt it. As long as one's chosen meaning for 'recognition' didnt smack of being some sort of 'celeb', I'd go along with that summation. I'd certainly never crave the approval of any single individual, that would be putting them on far too high a pedestal even if they truly were a doyen of the hobby. But at the other extreme, there's sometimes an almost kneejerk reaction, to the effect that nobody's appreciation matters. Some who say they're not bothered, truly are, and others like to tell you how good they are before you get chance to...

A few examples I've seen of late (not from this forum btw):

Now I am an award winning modeller and my models are...

Given my red hot email in the last few weeks there will be a bit of a backlog of shows to clear ...

I've had people stand in front of ... for almost an hour ... I would like to think that it was down to my modelling skills

Admittedly they're snipped and out of context, but one seems just a tad OTT and another seems to be a sort of affected modesty. Any thoughts?

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 1

I post my layout pictures on facebook regularly. I feel I've made it as a modeller when my close, non-railway loving friends tell me its fantastic work.

I feel I've made it, at least to my own standards. Still plenty to improve upon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As ever, it's about balance isnt it. As long as one's chosen meaning for 'recognition' didnt smack of being some sort of 'celeb', I'd go along with that summation. I'd certainly never crave the approval of any single individual, that would be putting them on far too high a pedestal even if they truly were a doyen of the hobby. But at the other extreme, there's sometimes an almost kneejerk reaction, to the effect that nobody's appreciation matters. Some who say they're not bothered, truly are, and others like to tell you how good they are before you get chance to...

A few examples I've seen of late (not from this forum btw):

Admittedly they're snipped and out of context, but one seems just a tad OTT and another seems to be a sort of affected modesty. Any thoughts?

Not a single mention of pies or pasties.

• Like 1

An interesting thread - but I don't think I even agree with the premise of the original question. How do you know if you have made it as a modeller? The answer for me is "When your modelling skills enable you to produce a layout to the standard you desire".

Anyone in the hobby trying to make a name for themselves might want to have a go at a sport or another competetive interest. It is of course encouraging when other modellers rate your work highly, but modelling is a hobby and they are there to enjoy - pure and simple. The aim is to model what you want to the standard you want, in your own time and in your own way.

Following that train of thought (no pun intended), the only people who haven't made it as modellers are those unsatisfied with their own output, and I suspect most people are happy with their layouts, though often aiming to improve.

David

• Like 4

The "(anti-)hero" of this story became more and more feted, and yet more and more despondent. One of his friends asked him why this was the case. He replied, "I appear, after all, to have amounted to something."

"Ah, I see your predicament," said the friend. "But I have no issue with you, because I have realised that I don't object to someone amounting to something, I merely dislike the idea of wanting to amount to something."

Quite the sage, aintcha. There's a twist to that though, and that's if someone *does* want to amount to something but manages to hide it well enough.

There's another angle of course to 'making it', whatever 'it' may be. The communication of ideas and enthusiasm can also come with - but isnt limited to - those who are well versed in knowledge or have well developed practical skills.

Edited by Pennine MC

I made a joke early in the thread because I think this idea that one has to somehow make it in modelling is merely a talking point much like naval gazing. Who is to be the arbiter? We have arbitors of fashion or good taste and we all know where than sometimes leads...... :derisive:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

....I have realised that I don't object to someone amounting to something, I merely dislike the idea of wanting to amount to something.".....

Or, as Groucho Marx put it: "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member."

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a lot of respect a lot of very good modellers and I am happy that I have some of these as friends.They don't go round posturing as being "the bes"t and all will help others either new to the hobby or asking for help.

The ones I can't understand are those who through their own self importance realise that they are not quite as good as they think they are.

Me, I am just happy to help anyone I can to repay some of the debt I owe to others who have helped me.

Barry O

• Like 2

I can't really say that I've "made it" (I'm far too self critical), but one experience did leave me wondering if I am perhaps too "hair shirt and self flagellation" with myself..

I had delivered the "Earl of Devon" pub and the Chagford Road Signal Box to ChrisF and Tim last year at ExpoEM, ChrisF (bless his little cotton socks) brought over the Chairman of Pendon museum (who was at the Pendon Museum stand) to look at the buildings. The chairman examined the buildings minutely and, holding up the EoD said that it was "beautifully observed" and would I consider submitting a test piece to Pendon?

I was UTTERLY gobsmacked (as ChrisF and Tim can recount)

I am very well aware of the limitations of the EoD (and of my modelling) and I know that I can (and should) do better, but to be told that I could potentially model for Pendon... Well, it did make me re-evaluate my skills more positively. Needless to say, I left ExpoEM on a bit of a "high"...

F

• Like 7

I can't really say that I've "made it" (I'm far too self critical), but one experience did leave me wondering if I am perhaps too "hair shirt and self flagellation" with myself..

I had delivered the "Earl of Devon" pub and the Chagford Road Signal Box to ChrisF and Tim last year at ExpoEM, ChrisF (bless his little cotton socks) brought over the Chairman of Pendon museum (who was at the Pendon Museum stand) to look at the buildings. The chairman examined the buildings minutely and, holding up the EoD said that it was "beautifully observed" and would I consider submitting a test piece to Pendon?

I was UTTERLY gobsmacked (as ChrisF and Tim can recount)

I am very well aware of the limitations of the EoD (and of my modelling) and I know that I can (and should) do better, but to be told that I could potentially model for Pendon... Well, it did make me re-evaluate my skills more positively. Needless to say, I left ExpoEM on a bit of a "high"...

F

What the man says is true. What he does not say is what he called me afterwards!

Now then, harking back to "it depends what you mean by ...". You could say that MAKING it is a step or several beyond being content merely to open the box. To make is to do different. To misquote Pete Seeger: "They open little boxes and they all turn out the same".

Chris

If I was rude at ExpoEM, Mr ChrisF, please forgive me, I was all "a flutter" (ahem...)

Returning to the subject of peer recognition, perhaps I am atypical but I see getting peer recognition as akin to getting a Michelin star or a top selling record. Yes, it takes a lot of hard work and skill (and probably talent as well???) to get the recognition, but then the really hard work starts - keeping it.

Every time Michel Roux plates a dish or David Gilmour releases a new album they'll be judged on whether or not they meet or exceed their past sucesses. I see the same in modelling.

Yes , this approach is demanding, but it does inch me towards my goal - of building models which in photos cause people to say "that can't be a model, surely? It looks so real"

Guest jim s-w

Getting your name mentioned in MRJ.

How to have made it big time.

Getting your name in MRJ on the same page as Pennine. :jester:

Bernard

I was mentioned in an MRJ editorial once. By Chris Pendlenton no less. Does that count?

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 1

I was mentioned in an MRJ editorial once. By Chris Pendelton no less. Does that count?

Cheers

Jim

Far more so than if you were mentioned by TS in my opinion. (Insert emoticom to suit your taste.)

An historian I know once made the comment. " You can only do what you can do."

If you manage to do what you honsetly consider to be your best, be it modelling, researching, writing or whatever, then you have contributed something of value to the world. It does not matter if people care, or consider that you have made it. The bottom line is I am fairly sure for most people that they get some form of satisfaction from what they have done.

Bernard

• Like 3

Guest notascoobie

When you're happy with what you've made yourself.

Let's face it, there's only one person's criticism that matters and only one person who sets your modelling agenda. If it's good for you, you're there.

......which means I've a way to go!

Yeah, I'm never happy with what I've done but others tell me it's fine. I did win the Chairman's Choice award at the 2008 Great British Train Show in Brampton ON for my Barnoldswick layout. I was pretty gobsmacked when I heard that.

John

How do you know if you're made it as a railway modeller...?

When you spend 10 minutes trying to explain to someone why not every layout has to be stocked with RTR models, and if you've finally decided to have some degree of prototype fidelity, might have to accept that at some stage you'll have to build an item of stock or renumber an existing one to suit instead of moaning about manufacturers not supplying you with everything you'll need.....

:banghead:

• Like 9

I have three suggestions:

1. When you have a substantial article published in MRJ, and it's not just describing the layout you paid others £££££££ to build.

2. When you can build a loco to the same or better standards than current day 00 RTR.

3. When you personally are genuinely satisfied with your modelling and feel you have reached the point where you cannot improve any further.

BTW, I don't qualify under any one of these headings.

• Like 1