Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Would you ever model your local station?

It's a curiousity that there is a spread of modellers from Lands End to John O Groats. Have any of you ever pondered on modelling the local Railway station or even a previous Branchline station which has now gone or closed completely.

The reason I asked as I was thinking a few days ago, which station was nearest to my house, and it happened my nearest station if it still existed is only a mile away. I then decided to read more into it's history and thought it could be modelled. It's a shame the old Yeovil to Durston Branch closed.

So Anyone ever thought the same or even taken the plunge and actually modelled their local station?

I live in Basingstoke and if I had the space I would definitely be tempted. Good mix of SR and WR although there is already an excellent N gauge model of Basingstoke around which frankly would be hard to better.

Though I am still an armchair modeller

The three projects I am planning are:

A Local Colliery.

A piece of plain line in the countryside, (still local).

And finally a station that may have some similarities to Wigan North Western (all of 5 miles down the road).

I think that anything I model has to mean something to me, and have strong memories, so I think my modelling will always revolve round local scenes, or holiday destinations.

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago I did Edmondthorpe and Wymondham, between Bourne and Saxby.

I also did Morpeth which was my second closest open station at the time.

Dad nearly always modelled local stations, Radcliffe on Trent, Bottesford and Cramlington together with the Alcan Terminal at North Blyth at various times.

David

My local is Polsloe Bridge, or possibly St James Park on the Exmouth branch, and whilst operationally neither are much to write home about (*) I do like the way they look and 'fit' in the landscape and have considered modelling Polsloe Bridge.

(Before anyone says it, I suspect it wasn't an awful lot different operationally in any era! )

Pokesdown in any era would be a challenge. But operationally- a non starter.

Steve

Well it would be interesting to see all those Bournemouth Belle's running through. Perhaps the last fling of the Bulleid Pacifics. If i remember rightly Boscombe use to have it's own station at one point.

When I lived down in Bournemouth if Merrick Park halt was still in existance this would of been my local station but alas only one photo exists of it and its' a Pre Grouping Greyhound .

I live in Basingstoke and if I had the space I would definitely be tempted. Good mix of SR and WR although there is already an excellent N gauge model of Basingstoke around which frankly would be hard to better.

Space is always a modeller's worse enemy. But Bastingstoke so much variety running through it Western Region and Southern too. All we hope is that Dapol get those wonderful Bulleid pacific on sale, so they can do the Southern Region Moguls or is that just wishing too much.

My local station, well for about 4 months of the year at least, is Aberdeen Joint. Alas since my modelling medium is OO, I think I'd need to take over the living room to build it to scale!

I have had occasional thoughts about modelling a couple of stations on the Bervie branch - Johnshaven and (Inver)Bervie spring to mind. A reasonably sleepy little branch serving a few fishing villages with a variety of NB motive power to choose from plus the occasional Caley 0-4-4T. I spent many childhood summers in Johnshaven with my Grandfather and have many happy memories of the place.

The closure of the line is still felt today, even though the passenger service ceased in 1951. Final closure came in 1966 - marked by a final passenger train, J37 hauled of course!

My local is Polsloe Bridge, or possibly St James Park on the Exmouth branch, and whilst operationally neither are much to write home about (*) I do like the way they look and 'fit' in the landscape and have considered modelling Polsloe Bridge.

(Before anyone says it, I suspect it wasn't an awful lot different operationally in any era! )

In the mid 1970,s and in steam days there was a very intensive service ran over the Exmouth branch as the Exmouth Junction to Topsham section was double track and Exmouth had four platforms.

Yes - but operationally it's is still a choice between "a train runs through" or "a train stops at the station" - so whilst Polsloe Bridge is now single track your operational choices are no different to today.

Neither station ever had a goods yard, or even a crossover between the two lines so far as I can see!

There's definately an argument for a better variety of stock at some times to others, but we'll not get into that here. ;)

• RMweb Premium

My local station at the moment is Walthamstow Central which doesn't inspire me at all...but I'm planning an N gauge model of Prestatyn on the North Wales Coast which is my place of birth and where I lived for 25 years before coming to London...using the 70's trackplan for a base as it gives the most operating options...

• RMweb Premium

Of all the stations I've lived near to (Poole, Bournemouth Central, Charlton and Stratford) none are practical in small spaces. If I could choose a station near but not technically local to where I've lived it would be Parkstone. The station itself can fit in less than twelve feet and if modelled in late 50s/early 60s, then also had a goods yard and a pottery line. Then if length of space could be found, the bank before and after would make a very dramatic line to see trains running on :)

Of all the stations I've lived near to (Poole, Bournemouth Central, Charlton and Stratford) none are practical in small spaces. If I could choose a station near but not technically local to where I've lived it would be Parkstone. The station itself can fit in less than twelve feet and if modelled in late 50s/early 60s, then also had a goods yard and a pottery line. Then if length of space could be found, the bank before and after would make a very dramatic line to see trains running on :)

This station in the 1950s and to some extent 1960s had the wonderful line off to the George Jennings Pottery and I believe it had a siding at Parkstone, I don't believe there any photos in existant of the George Jennings locomotive working at Parkstone though.

• RMweb Gold

My local station would occupy a space about 18 ft long in 4mm scale but I know that another RMweb member is building a model of it although i'm not sure if he's taking it to the natural boundary of a road overbridge. Best modelled on a saturday in high summer I reckon because otherwise it would need something in the region of 80 odd coaches if pre-Beeching era.

Oh it's tempting, being equidistant from a] Penns for Walmley (on the Park Lane Jct - Ryecroft Jct, "Sutton Park" line) and b] Sutton Coldfield on the Cross-City line.

Not today of course, reinforcing my utter distaste for our present railway: a] class 66 tedium and station replaced by a religious sect HQ and, b] bread and butter stopping point for identical Class 323 spacepigs every six minutes.

But, in the sixties Penns with its infrequent Walsall - Birmingham stopping service (LMS tank locos giving way to Park Royal DMUs) and pick-up freight at its large rural goods yard would make a lovely scenic layout with a healthy varied traffic. And in the transition period, Sutton Coldfield with its Car Sleeper service to Stirling, daily through mails, and Met Cam triples on a post-Beeching non-intensive service pattern would also be extremely interesting.

Yes, I'd consider both!

My local station at the moment is Walthamstow Central which doesn't inspire me at all...but I'm planning an N gauge model of Prestatyn on the North Wales Coast which is my place of birth and where I lived for 25 years before coming to London...using the 70's trackplan for a base as it gives the most operating options...

I was brought up in Walthamstow.

Walthamstow Queens Road with its frequent traffic of 1st generation DMU's and freight traffic would have been a nice model.

However i now live in the wilds of Northamptonshire and i am planning along with George Woodcock to build Towcester ( my local station, now long gone) as if it did not close and remained a cross country route from Blisworth to Banbury............

In the mid 70's when I got back into serious railway modelling I helped start a (then) new model railway club in Ongar (Essex), we built an excellent (so I say for myself ?) 00 gauge model of the local station, and the line including Blake Hall.

Now I live just outside of Blandford (Dorset), see the link for the model railway group in the Town Museum below.

It's a curiousity that there is a spread of modellers from Lands End to John O Groats. Have any of you ever pondered on modelling the local Railway station or even a previous Branchline station which has now gone or closed completely.

The reason I asked as I was thinking a few days ago, which station was nearest to my house, and it happened my nearest station if it still existed is only a mile away. I then decided to read more into it's history and thought it could be modelled. It's a shame the old Yeovil to Durston Branch closed.

So Anyone ever thought the same or even taken the plunge and actually modelled their local station?

Yes, Camden Road on the North London. Not presently my local station but was when I was a kid growing up in Camden Town. In N gauge by the way.

• RMweb Premium

I'd be tempted to model the local station where I grew up - Barrow-in-Furness - but in a 60s or 70s era. Bit limited nowadays, with much reduced variety of rolling stock. In its heyday, of course, plenty of iron and steel-related wagon operations.

My nearest station is Thornaby, but not my cup of tea as a "station".

Jeff

Archived