Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Would you ever model your local station?

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Camden Road on the North London. Not presently my local station but was when I was a kid growing up in Camden Town. In N gauge by the way.

That's the station I use to visit the Bass Gallery in Royal College Street; High level station/bridges/busy through line - loads of potential!

Personally I haven't and even in N gauge Hull Paragon would require an impractically wide baseboard, but there's a long record of drawing on local inspiration within Hull MRS. We currently have a model of Driffield and a group are building Botanic Gardens (one of the suburban stations), while others have previously modelled other local stations including Willerby & Kirkella and Market Weighton, plus several local 'might have beens' or based on local themes.

Well it would be interesting to see all those Bournemouth Belle's running through. Perhaps the last fling of the Bulleid Pacifics. If i remember rightly Boscombe use to have it's own station at one point.

When I lived down in Bournemouth if Merrick Park halt was still in existance this would of been my local station but alas only one photo exists of it and its' a Pre Grouping Greyhound .

I have the booklet on Meyrick Park Halt, interesting read.

I also have a couple of poor photos showing the metal signal box and an original Merchant passing it.

Boscombe was a mile towards Bmth, had its own goods yard and private owner siding.

Steve

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I have considered it (Grimoldby on the Mablethorpe loop line) but decided it wouldn't be very interesting to operate.

Single line branch station with a single siding not something that appeals to me.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I am seriously thinking about a 'might have been' based around my local station Capel St Mary on the GER Hadleigh branch. It closed to passengers in 1932 but freight services survived to 1965, I'm slowly acquiring a small collection of stock that would be appropriate for an the1960s with a surviving passenger service - at least that's my excuse to SWMBO for the Heljan W&M Railbus making a recent appearance on my current era layout!

It won't be much to write home about operationally but as a second portable layout the idea is growing on me. I enjoy scratchbuilding buildings and the curious architecture of the station I find fascinating. It's probably a few years away yet due to the work needed on the current layout but I night make a start of the station building later this year.

Capel station is the first photo on this page: http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/620420pr.html

Martin

I've contemplated doing my local (Erdington) before, but the size and lack of scenic breaks work against it. To make it worthwhile (and get off the embankments between terraced houses for a scenic break) you'd have to include the goods yard which now lies beneath flats and my place of work, and extend beyond the Summer Road bridge into the cutting there. A distance that scales to around 26', which if modelled in BR Blue would see an endless precession of modified Lima 117s and little else other than Sunday diversions. If I were to model what is now the North end of the Cross City Line I'd go one stop towards the city and do Gravelly Hill, with its platforms nicely framed in a deep cuting by two brick arch bridges. As it stands I'm doing Bournville instead with the club.

I am so very tempted. Palmers Green on the Hertford North loop is now just a double track line, but back in the 50's and 60's there was a goods yard with J15's and any Sunday with problems on the ECML, A4's and the like were routed through the Hertford loop to rejoin the main line just south of Stevenage. The other side of the line from the goods yard was a large goods shed that became my playground most days of the week.

If I wasn't up to my eyeballs in ET, it could be a reality...

Yes i was very tempted to model Harrogate Station pre mid 80`s but dont think 21` length would do it full justice maybe 40` length lol

on the google map station is in yellow and had 2 signal boxes the southend box went years ago when they took out the Otley, ilkley line which was filled in for car park space. station has 2 platforms and had 2 (now only 1 ) center pass / over night park lines. At the bottom of the station building is a built shunter shed which use to cover the goods depot marked in blue which is now an asda store, there was coal chutes, can still see chute walls, goods sheds for frieght and other businesses, all went mid 80`s. from here the lines split down to the orange circle marked as use to be a shell fuel terminal from the 30`s to 80`s which use to supply some of lancashire but all yorkshire and north east with fuel from late 30`s to mid 70`s until bigger refineries came into play etc, the pink is what was the fuel underground storage tanks which were put in just before WW II.

Plus just down the road at starbeck was 2 lots of engine sheds, 1 small and 1 larger service shed with turntables and attached to a big steel plant, which has all gone and now is a retail park. the whole section is duel run from original canterlever signals and modern day red/green lights, apart from the lights, all is lever operated at Harrogate, Starbeck, Knaresborough signal boxes. you can still the working point/signal rodding in 2nd pic of Harrogate signal box.

cheers ken.

post-14408-0-10534100-1331232016_thumb.jpg

post-14408-0-31874800-1331232038_thumb.jpg

edit: extra info

Heading south out of Harrogate towards Leeds is Crimple Viaduct which at pannel end split tunnel towards whetherby and right 1 of the sharpish rail bends in the uk which also starts to descend to Pannel station. Also between crimple viaduct and Harrogate main station at the newer hornbeam park station, is another tunnel that lead to Harrogates underground Brunswick station, which without going to re-read the plague think opened 1904 -1908 no idea how 1 would model that ?? lol

Guest Natalie Graham

Dad nearly always modelled local stations, Radcliffe on Trent, Bottesford and Cramlington together with the Alcan Terminal at North Blyth at various times.

My uncle worked at Bottesdord station at one time.

I am always tempted by local stations. I was looking out the plans and drawings from Market Bosworth recently from when I used to live close to the station. I still fancy modelling it.

My local station's Reading - no chance of doing a model of the complete station though the old Reading Southern might be possible (though I'm a GWR man!), and I have in the past sketched out plans for what was platforms 4a & 4b as a small terminus-FY layout. Something similar could be done with Platforms 1,2,3. When I started living away from home in 1998 I considered building a model of the Low Level Goods Yard (at that time some of the tracks and lamps were still in situ), but decided against it as I wanted to be able to run passenger trains (ironically I later became involved in an abortive attempt to restore one of the old Huntley & Palmers locos which used to work in and out of the yard, and built a 00 model of the loco!). If I had to start again and had a suitable space to run on the main line as well as shunt the yard, I might be tempted, but as things stand Aberystwyth & Rheidol Valley's really too far along to start again.

I have also sketched out plans for Heald Green, where I grew up (in the time I knew it, again it was a case of either trains stop or don't stop - I was too young to remember the goods yard!,) though if the triangular junction for the airport branch was included it might have potential. I did get as far as building a model of Heald Green weighbridge hut (only demolished in the last few years) for the goods yard on my father's layout.

I also sketched out a plan for my parents' current local station of Saundersfoot in steam days, however to maintain gauge difference to the Suandersfoot Railway (which at 4'0 1/2" is almost spot-on for 00!) the GWR lines would have had to be in EM, which wasn't a route I wanted to go down. However a possibility may be opening up to model it present-day to assist with a local planning apllication!

Not my nearest stations, but I have built a portable model of Wallingford station on the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway and could be tempted to do at least part of Cholsey (CWR & relief lines), though the fiddle yard space required for the Freightliner and tanker trains would be impractical (I volunteer at both stations on an irregular basis).

I am building the staion I used to live near, Or at least I will be once I've finished the shed for it, all 54ft by 12 ft... third year of shed building almost finished!

The Q

Ludgershall MSWJR/GWR

My local station's Reading - and I have in the past sketched out plans for what was platforms 4a & 4b as a small terminus-FY layout.

Did you ever see Platform 4a and 4b by Nigel Burkin? It was a layout featured here in the very early days. As someone who regularly used those platforms, Nigel did a great job.

http://nigelburkin.wordpress.com/platform-4a-4b-photo-archive/

Hmm, well Darlington Bank Top doesn't section off unless you are prepared for an ECML layout on the scale of Retford or possibly larger. Some part of North Road might be possibly - I've looked at Stooperdale paint shop or possibly the works crossing or scrap line. S&D crossing would be awesome and has a semblance of scenic breaks, but thinkikng about it Stivvy's is not one that is mentioned or even seen in pictures often. Edinburgh WAverley (i lived on Jeffery street over the south-east corner) would possibly be do-able though i always had an affinity for the remnants of the north subsurban line. Where I am now is err well just too Midland and Keswick while northern was not north eastern enough so my current project is Broomielaw on the Darlington-Barnard Castle line. Even somewhere this small is deceptively big needing over 6m even with no fiddle yards.

I'm liking "The Q"'s shed ambition though :D

• RMweb Premium

The site of Avonwick station is only about 5 miles up the road from me, Whilst there were 2 closer stations I couldn't fit these in, in the space that I had to use.

Strangely I'm looking at a south London urban type layout at the moment and using my local station - Brixton - as a starting point.

I grew up near Chard Junction and would loved to have built a model of it but given that the branch exits one side of the layout and the milk factory is the other, there isn't an easy way to model it.

Hemel Hempsted, note the spelling, would make an ideal model. Some thing like 12' x 2' would be ample. I believe the local club were working on a model at one time but I never saw it in a finished state. Working it with the falling grade into the station of just over 1/40 would be fun. Most of the stock for a post war time scale is now available RTR so something could be got running fairly quickly. The Midland Pullman for an earlier period would be a more complex project. Move a couple of miles up the line and you can keep it running until a later date and have a Clayton and various other diesels .

Bernard

My shed currently contains a much reduced and modified version of Bolton Trinity Street around 1980. Technically that's the second closest station to here though; Hall i'th'wood is a bit too boring for my taste. Somewhere at my parents' house though I have a huge planners map of Bromley Cross including the station in 1937 that shows every track, point, signal post, building and even exact size of fields and garden plots and I've sometimes thought about being daring and making a model of that.

Did you ever see Platform 4a and 4b by Nigel Burkin? It was a layout featured here in the very early days. As someone who regularly used those platforms, Nigel did a great job.

http://nigelburkin.w...-photo-archive/

Gordon

No, I hadn't seen it before. As someone who travelled out of platforms 4a/b every day for 6 years, I think it's spot on, apart from the little bit of licence in relocating the carriage sidings alongside the platforms..

If Nigel didn't live so far away, he'd probably be getting an exhibition invitation from me when he's finished refurbing it!

Richard

Richard

Not exactly my local station but the next one along. I've often thought about modelling Crowthorne Station on the Reading - Redhill line. I could run Southern trains (and some Great Western) without having to worry about the 3rd rail etc.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Born and lived in Sandy (nearly) all my life, in fact living in the house I was born in.

with my youth spent spotting at the station I just had to model it. Now I have (nearly) enough space and some cash to do it, I just miss the time ! At 28 x 11ft and single handed the progress is slow but steady, I keep meaning to start something in layout topics to show progress but then thats something else to do !

south wigston would be a good little layout moddeling only one platform! if you like modern day its good for you if urbans your thing :D

really though you would probably end up with a layout full of silly "tags" and rubbish!, and itd cost hell of alot in Bachmann 170's!!

thanks

dan

Bournemouth in 1980s/90s N gauge is something I've looked into - quite easy to get into a 10' space and has convenient bridges at either end to act as scenic breaks. My past local stations would have been Crawley (possibly most boring station in Sussex), and either Chelmsford or Ingatestone - the former would be an interesting challenge if you modelled it in the days of steam with the incline down to the post office and Hoffmans sidings.

David

• RMweb Premium

This station in the 1950s and to some extent 1960s had the wonderful line off to the George Jennings Pottery and I believe it had a siding at Parkstone, I don't believe there any photos in existant of the George Jennings locomotive working at Parkstone though.

These I've just found on flickr, the first is a back view in Parkstone Yard, while the second (scroll down to see the pic) is on the approaches to the yard, if I'm not mistaken. The third is, I think, the well known pic of the loco in the South Western Pottery:

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

http://www.ebay.co.u...ksid=p2992.m753

http://www.flickr.co...ell/5569439077/

Nice finally to see an image of 'George Jennings' actually in Parkstone yard :)

EDIT: Can someone tell me what type of loco this is, and whether there are any kits of it or its type?

EDIT: I think I've nailed it down to either an R1 (based on dome position) or R2 (based on front handrail). I'm inclined to go for R1 but with a different handrail position.

Archived