Wycrail 12 - 3rd November 2012 in a new bigger brighter venue

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

WYCRAIL celebrates its 40th birthday by relocating to a new, bigger and brighter venue with more exhibits and an improved visitor experience

The annual WYCRAIL model railway exhibition organised by the High Wycombe and District Model Railway Society, now in its 40th year, is firmly established as being one of the largest and best supported one day model railway exhibitions in the South East of England. But with over 1500 visitors the show has become a victim of its own success; and the limitations of the existing venue, with little room for expansion, have become more noticeable in recent years.

After due consideration of a number of alternatives we are please to announce that Wycrail ’12 will be held on Saturday November 3rd at a brand new venue:

The Cressex Community School,

Holmers Lane,

High Wycombe,

Bucks HP12 4UD

Opening times: 10.00 to 17.00

This is a modern, bright and much larger venue increasing the space available for the show from just over 7000sq feet to an impressive 17,600 sq feet. Feedback from past visitors had highlighted that perennial problem of successful shows; overcrowding. The new venue will allow for increased space to aid circulation, much wider aisles and larger rest and catering areas. The entire show will also be held under one roof for the first time in a number of years without visitors having to walk outside between halls.

WYCRAIL ‘12 will have over 25 high quality and inspirational model railway layouts, of both British and North American (Or British, North American and Continental) outline and in a wide range of scales and gauges including Z, N, 3mm, 00, H0, EM, P4, 0 and narrow gauges. Full trade support will be present ranging from tools, kits, electronic components to R-T-R models and books. The Hornby Hobbies roadshow will once again be a welcome presence at the show with, for the very first time at Wycrail, Bachmann Europe also in attendance.

The new venue is still very conveniently close to the M40 Junction 4 and the free vintage bus service will once again be operated between Wycombe Railway Station (Chiltern Line) and Wycombe Town Centre to the Cressex Community School. In addition, this year it will also operate between the venue and the nearby free Park and Ride situated close to the Handy Cross roundabout, M40 junction 4.

I will post more information about the show and layouts / traders etc. in due course. These will be up to the previsous high standard and variety that I am sure you have come to expect from this show but in an impoved venure with more space to circulate and also sit and rest to partake in the excellent cakes that we have developed a reputation for as well!

Further information can also be found on our exhibition website here

• RMweb Gold

And hopefully more room to sit while eating the cakes :D I hope the new venue will allow some of the atmosphere of the old to continue as, notwithstanding the lack of space, Wycrail also has a great atmosphere - and friendliness (which I'm sure will be unchanged). But the new spot does look a bit tight on parking space so it looks like the Gym Club (?) for me :O .

Oh and thank you what looks like a much better road approach from my direction avoiding that awful roundabout at the A404/M40 junction - the new site looks to be much more readily approached via the B482 from Marlow.

What's the parking going to be like? at least at the old venue the overflow was within reasonable walking distance.

Other than that I'm sure it will be a good show. I look forward to the chance of attending.

[Ed] Ok now I've found the map they look like reasonable (though can't judge scale) probably needs a drive-by to get a feel for it. Always has been a good show and worth a visit. In the diary, hopefully no clash with alternatives.

• RMweb Gold

What's the parking going to be like? at least at the old venue the overflow was within reasonable walking distance.

Other than that I'm sure it will be a good show. I look forward to the chance of attending.

[Ed] Ok now I've found the map they look like reasonable (though can't judge scale) probably needs a drive-by to get a feel for it. Always has been a good show and worth a visit. In the diary, hopefully no clash with alternatives.

If you look on Google Maps (just put in the name of the school, no need for anything more I found) two of the overflow car parks are quite near and '5 minute walk' seems a realistic estimate. The other car park is a bit further away

• RMweb Gold

A shame in a way, the School has a lovely feel, but I can understand the need for a more modern venue. I should be able to make the trip to help out again this year ;)

Hi Ian

Many thanks for your kind offier and continued support to the show, I am sure that nice Mr Nevard will appreciate some assistance on Brewhouse Quay.

• RMweb Gold

You must have found the map already but for the benefit of others a link to the map showing the car parks is here There are about 200 spaces at the school itself and then two alternative car parks in less than 5 min walking distance. We are extending our free bus service from the Wycombe railway station and town centre to also include the Cressex Cinema park and ride car park (located right next to Junction 4 of the M40) which provides additonal free parking.

I am also not aware of the show clashing with any other local alternatives.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Many thanks for your kind offier and continued support to the show, I am sure that nice Mr Nevard will appreciate some assistance on Brewhouse Quay.

Already PM'ed him and sorted ;) now to get my pass signed as I have an exhibition the following week .....

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Layouts Confirmed as follows:

Abbotstone (0)

Aurbach Yard (H0)

Ashlyn (00)

Ashand (00)

Brewhouse Quay (00)

Bryn y Felin (009)

Gravel Bottom (0n)

Gilbert Junction (H0)

Highbury Colliery (2mm fs)

Kuppla Yard (H0)

Loughborough Road (00)

The North Hurst Joint Line (00)

Oxford Road (00)

Plemont (N)

Prospect Point (HO/HOn3)

Rhineside (TT)

St Brayden (0n)

Santa Barbara (N)

St Lukes (00)

Sanki Valley (Z)

Somewhere in France on the Sea (Nm)

Simply Narrow Gauge (0n3)

Springfield Spa (N)

Willowbrook Marsh (0)

Witney Euston (2mm fs)

Whatlington (3mm)

Yeoton Wharf (3mm)

Further information on the exhibition website here

• RMweb Gold

To mark the annual WYCRAIL model railway exhibition reaching its 40th year, the High Wycombe and District Model Railway Society have commissioned a 7 plank Private Owner coal wagon from West Wales Wagon Wagon Works in the livery of local coal and coke merchant G.E. Stevens.

Further information can be found here

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Traders are as follows:

Hornby Model Railways

Bachmann PLC

Rail Books (Geoff Gamble)

G & W (Second-hand)

Cheltenham Models

The Model Tree Shop

H&A Models

Wealistic Models

Squires Tools

JB's Model World

Kytes Lights

Falcon Figures

Hedgerow Scenics

LSWR Models

Freestone Models

Railway Memories DVD’s etc.

West Wales Wagon Works

• 2 weeks later...

WYCRAIL celebrates its 40th birthday by relocating to a new, bigger and brighter venue with more exhibits and an improved visitor experience

Having just seen several e-mails regarding cake production planning, I think it’s time for a 'bump'!! As has been mentioned several times above, WYCRAIL is becoming more and more renowned for the quality and quantity of cakes available at the show each year.

You may, may not, be interested to know that one of our Cake Manufacturing Team (CMT) is benefitting from some media fame. At the end of September, an edition of Midsummer Murders featured several shots in a Tea Room / Cafe, in which there was a large supply of cakes on display. Yes ......... you've guessed it - they came from a member of our Cake Manufacturing Team!

And before Kenton, or anyone else can comment, there will be fresh supplies from the CMT for November 3rd!!

Now we know that a certain Mr Nevard is quite partial to a cake or two, as is one CK of this parish, amongst others, so as they have done, please get the date in your diary:

CAKES GO ON SALE AT 10.00 on SATURDAY NOVEMBER 3rd - and don't forget that we are at a new venue this year - http://www.hwdmrs.org.uk/Wycrail.htm

As usual we have an hourly FREE Routemaster bus service from High Wycombe and there will also be a FREE 20 minute interval shuttle bus service between the Cinema at Jct 4 of the M40 and WYCRAIL - http://www.hwdmrs.or...king Plan 8.pdf

At this year's show there will be:

• 27 LAYOUTS for you to see
  • 18 TRADE STANDS for you to shop at
  • 5 RAILWAY SOCIETY STANDS who will update you with their news and let you know how to join them
  • 4 DEMONSTRATION STANDS where you can check out those modelling skills.

The High Wycombe & District Model Railway Society (http://www.hwdmrs.org.uk), are looking forward to seeing many of you at WYCRAIL this year and we hope that you will all enjoy our exhibition at its new venue.

Having just seen several e-mails regarding cake production planning, I think it’s time for a 'bump'!! As has been mentioned several times above, WYCRAIL is becoming more and more renowned for the quality and quantity of cakes available at the show each year.

You may, may not, be interested to know that one of our Cake Manufacturing Team (CMT) is benefitting from some media fame. At the end of September, an edition of Midsummer Murders featured several shots in a Tea Room / Cafe, in which there was a large supply of cakes on display. Yes ......... you've guessed it - they came from a member of our Cake Manufacturing Team!

And before Kenton, or anyone else can comment, there will be fresh supplies from the CMT for November 3rd!!

Now we know that a certain Mr Nevard is quite partial to a cake or two, as is one CK of this parish, amongst others, so as they have done, please get the date in your diary:

CAKES GO ON SALE AT 10.00 on SATURDAY NOVEMBER 3rd - and don't forget that we are at a new venue this year - http://www.hwdmrs.org.uk/Wycrail.htm

Hi,

Yes, the manager of the whole public catering has been organising large quanities of cake for the day, and hoepfully, her supreme cake testing machine (AKA ME! :P ) for a quick taste testing session before the day! :D

I also have knowledge that prepartions on Loughborough Road are also in hand for the show - at our new venue!

Looking forward to it!

Simon

The layouts page of the website does not 'work' for me in Mozilla, Chrome, Opera or Safari under Windows 7 - only in IE. Looks like some IE specific code has crept in there somewhere

FYI, it works for me on AOL (which I think is still IE based).

I'm looking forward to going to the show, as a recce for my own layout going there in 2013.

Archived