158867 Experimental Wales & West Livery - nearly finished

• RMweb Premium

Hi Folks,

I've been on RMweb for getting on towards a year now, but this is my first post, so here goes!

I have always been fascinated by a brightly coloured livery only ever carried by 1 unit for a very short time, I am of course talking of 158867 which was painted and operated by Wales and West,

I never actually saw this unit whilst it carried this livery so all I have to go on is pictures on the internet, such as these:

http://www.flickr.co.../?q=158867&f=hp

158867 was then painted in Wessex Trains livery when the Wales and West franchise was split in two, it then passed briefly into the First Great Western hands before being dispatched to First Scotrail where it has recently been put into the new 'Dotrail' livery.

And so, the other week while at a local swapmeet I picked up a bargain Bachmann 158 in Regional Railways livery for £35 and immediately set about dismantling the body shells.

Oh, is now a good time to mention that I've never successfully resprayed anything before?

post-11362-0-91797600-1331225667_thumb.jpg

The donor 158 dismantled shortly after purchase, the good thing here is that the cant rail stripe part of the roof moulding so no need to repaint!

I then striped the unit using modelstrip which seemed to work OK, it didn't take the thick grey stripe at window level off but I'm not overly concerned about that as I then primed the sides using grey primmer from Halfords, I will mostly be using car paints from rattle cans for this job.

post-11362-0-13878300-1331226382_thumb.jpg

Unit after 2 coats of Halfords grey primmer and at last a good use for a Heat magazine or whichever that one is I’ve coated in primmer!

And so now that the primmer has dried I had to work out what colours to use for the silver and dark blue, I'm not 100% happy with what I've gone with so for but it’s all trial and error at this stage given that there are no silver 158s left in my part of the world! What’s more annoying is that I have a model of 158745 in the normal W&W livery with the yellow wrap round cabs, which ideally I'd like to match, but this is going to be nigh on impossible.

http://www.rmweb.co....51-09092011159/

My W&W 158 as featured on Exford TMD

Today I masked the unit off so that I was only spraying between the doors on the body side, thought it was best to do it this way as the cab ends and inner ends are blue and the doors themselves orange

post-11362-0-46218300-1331227509_thumb.jpg

158 masked for Silver paint

post-11362-0-12009500-1331227571_thumb.jpg

And 1st coat of silver, which is actually Halfords 'Rover stone grey' in hindsight a bit on the dark side, may have to reconsider and use a lighter shade. Even managed to find a copy of the local rag to use this time!

And so that is the progress to date.

My thanks at this stage to James Makin for providing me with a few pointers and hints with colours, as he has also modelled 158867 in this livery.

Any opinions and other tips would be greatly appreciated; also if anyone has any pictures of this livery other than the ones I've found on the net these would be most helpful

Cheers,

Dale

Welcome to the respray club i use railmatch rattlecans but as i model rail blue its not a problem Dave stocks Tamia masking tape you can also get it at Isca Models in fore Street Exeter

You can get a cleaner edge than car masking tape and masking tape might take the primer off good luck Dale.

• RMweb Premium

Good start but I'm not to sure about the use of standard DIY masking tape, I personally prefer Tamiya low tack masking tape in all my painting

HTH

Simon

Hi Simon,

I see your point about using ordinary masking tape but remember the ends of the coach are blue with a light blue and an orange stripe which intersects the first window at each end it use at this stage is not crucial, I will be using it when it comes to appling the finer details.

Cheers

Dale

• RMweb Premium

How are you going to get rid of the line caused by the masking tape?

Well you can see from the pictures I have masked right up tight against the doors, which should minimise any lip caused by the layer of paint, also see some of the pictures on the Flickr link at the top of the page, there is still all the blues and orange bits to do yet.

While I think about it, http://www.wellsgreen-tmd.co.uk/modelrailsept2005.htm, here is the link to James Makin's own 158867 as featured in Model Rail a few years back.

Cheers

Dale

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Dale!

From memory, I can confirm that the masking was definitely the most complicated part of the project!!

I found it tricky masking the curves using straight tape, Tamiya's good but fairly thick too, for these bits it's worth trying to source some truly thin tape - at the time I used the old Railmatch lining tape which was about 1mm wide and easier to bend into the curve without it 'rucking' up on the inside edges where you'd want a smooth edge for painting.

I'm sure it'll come out good whatever happens - I get odd slips on nearly all my resprays but patch paint the offending bits in, they soon disappear once varnish is applied, covers a million sins!

Can't wait to see this progressing more, the Wales & West, and later Wessex fleet contained so much modelling potential, top stuff! :)

James

• RMweb Premium

Just a further tip - like you, I think I painted mine in the order of Silver first, then Orange, then Sky Blue, then Dark Blue, with the doors masked for the Orange. I chose that order as it meant when you masked the curves it was the outer edge of the masking tape that was the critical one under tension in each curve so no 'rucked' edges being the critical ones during the masking stages.

Hope this helps! :)

I only got 1 slide of this colour scheme and that was in the centre road at Birmingham New Street, needless to say it was a looooonnnnng exposure but it came out reasonably well.

Never liked the colour scheme though.

Good luck with it and yes I can see what you mean about the masking tape, I forgot how far the blue went down the bodysides.

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick update

Another trip to Halfords this morning in which I picked up a tin of Renault Silver Grey,

post-11362-0-63986600-1331563042_thumb.jpg

Slightly brighter I think, I'm never going to get it 100%, beginning to think I should have spashed out a bit more on a Wessex liveried unit, but oh well I shall persevere!

Cheers

Dale

• RMweb Premium

Further to my update earlier today, a bit more prgress has been made,

I sprayed a second coat of Reanult Silver Grey, once dry I removed the masking tape, and I have to say its starting to look good!

post-11362-0-45542800-1331579874_thumb.jpg

Sides brought in from the garage and the masking tape removed

And as for the potential promblems flaged up about my use of bog standard masking tape -

post-11362-0-37149800-1331579898_thumb.jpg

This was the worst door of the lot, the rest were almost spot on against the door frame - see top photo!

I will aquire some Tamiya masking tape and the Railmatch lining tape as mentioned previously from the local model shop propriotor before I move on.

My plan is to do the dark blue at the cab ends next (as I have a spray can of about the right colour) and then work out the light blue and thin orange stripe which I may paint by hand along with the doors.

Having seen these results, I think this silver is a better representation of the Wales and West/Wessex silver than the colour used on the Bachmann unit I'm trying to match!

Cheers,

Dale

Dale,

If it helps, ordinary masking tape can be used successfully with a few tweaks. I don't have any photos of any of this so I hope the description is clear enough.

One - is to reduce the tackiness of the adhesive. I simply lay a strip of tape on the smooth back of a stainless steel ruler I've had for ages. I then peel the tape off and put it dpwn again onto the ruler a couple of times.

Two - use a sharp, new hobby knife blade and a second steel ruler to cut strips of tape to whatever width you require. Cutting strips in this way will give you a very clean edge to each strip. I've used pieces as narrow as approx. 1.5 or 2mm width and cut to about 30 - 40mm length to avoid the strips curling and sticking to themselves when lifted off the ruler. Then the strips can be 'persuaded' into place gently with tweezers and the point of the Xacto knife blade to mould themselves over any plastic projections, vents, etc. on the body, or if any curved masking is required. Once in place, the narrow strip is pressed down very gently along its length with a flat bladed jeweller's screwdriver to try to seal the edge where the sprayed paint will go. Wider strips of tape from the back of the ruler can then be stuck to the first strip to complete the coverage, again pressing down gently to seal the edges against overspray. The most time-consuming part is to get the initial strips positioned exactly as you want them, but patience here will pay off as it's far easier to correct laying the masking tape strips than having to re-do a paint job.

Three - the easy part - spray away!

I have used 'de-tacked' masking tape strips over previously sprayed colours (all enamels), but the first colour must be allowed to harden properly - perhaps for 24 hours or more, but I have never had the doctored masking tape pull off any existing colour. I have not had experience yet of spraying acrylics but I would anticipate similar results.

Cheers,

Graeme

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Apologies for the lack of an update in the last few weeks, however there has been a small amount of progress to report, to be honest what you're about to see was done about 2 weeks ago, but i've not got round to updating the thread.

After the perils of the initial masking operation for silver bodyside the time has now come to mask up the centre section and apply the dark blue to the cab ends.

post-11362-0-14686600-1333653074_thumb.jpg

You will be pleased to hear I have invested in a roll of Tamiya masking tape as recomended by those in the know.

post-11362-0-27761300-1333653101_thumb.jpg

The chosen shade of blue being another Halfords rattle can, this time Fiat Capri blue (not Ford Capri!)

post-11362-0-77750000-1333653123_thumb.jpg

2 coates of said blue and the masking tape removed revealed quite an impresive result, there is a slight lip and a small amount of bleed between the silver and blue but I'm hoping a bit of sanding will bring this down a bit before it gets covered up with the light blue band, which I now have a suitable pot of paint for

The rest of the painting work will be done with a brush.

Cheers,

Dale.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi There,

After a month or so on the back burner while I tackled a couple of other projects, namely my mother deciding to knock my bedroom and the office into one room, requiring me to dismantle the layout I had half built, I have returned my attention to the Wales and West 158

post-11362-0-37910200-1339089840_thumb.jpg

1st coat of light blue applied, yes that is Blu-tak I have masked it, although I have spruced up the edges with a very fine micro-brush

post-11362-0-98218100-1339089862_thumb.jpg

And the first application of the orange stripes, again with a micro-brush and applied freehand.

Just the doors left to do on the bodyside and a few modifications to the yellow on the cab

Cheers,

Dale

• RMweb Premium

Liking it Dale!

Great new use for BluTack too...never, ever thought to use it as masking but it clearly works! Fair play to ya!

Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing it coming together! :)

• RMweb Premium

Great new use for BluTack too...never, ever thought to use it as masking but it clearly works! Fair play to ya!

Cheers James,

It was actually suggested to me by Crompton48, although he also recommeded I use Maskol with it, however I didn't!

Also good to see you are doing a second 377 as well, keep up the good work.

Cheers

Dale

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon,

Just a quick update

post-11362-0-25215700-1339510194_thumb.jpg

2 coats of orange on the doors. With some squares of Tamiya masking tape on the doors to form the blue squres, these are a little rough, but I think this makes the unit a little more prototypical. The real blue squares were stickers over the orange doors, and had a tendency to peel off!

post-11362-0-69679000-1339510218_thumb.jpg

Bit of a close up on the door, I will go around the door frames with a black permenant marker at some point too.

Now, my thoughts turn to transfers, I have numbers but I don't know where i'm going to get the Wales and West transfers from.

Any ideas!?

Also might as well mention I've never successfully applied a ttransfer of any sort before either!

Cheers

Dale

• RMweb Premium

Railtec models may be a good start they cam do whatever you want

Cheers hammy,

The website looks good, I'm off on holiday in the morning so will investigate further when I return.

Cheers

Dale

Hi Kevin - sadly i've not got any of this one, it was before I got back into photting stuff post-digital. :(

I suspect/from memory the Wales & West logo/font will be the same as other Wales & West / Wales & Borders / Early Wessex ones though which may help you if you can't find a good side-on shot to copy from, not sure where you could find the Alphaline logo though.

Looking good though, nice work on the paint job - don't be scared of decalling either, if you're using the glossy car paint then waterslide ones will go on great - just apply them first, then do a halfords gloss varnish topcoat to seal it before putting a satin or matt coat on to tone it all down a bit.

If you're worried, practice on an old wagon body or similar. :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dale,

Just seen the latest posts, hope that these two graphics help :P

I made these myself in Photoshop, heavily modifying and retouching images of the real thing...Alphaline as a company is long gone so hopefully there is no copyright issues here, but am happy to remove these if they breach anything though...

Numbers for the unit were sourced from Fox Transfers, I used the pack for the Virgin Trains Mk3 coaches if it helps.

158867-1.JPG

158867-2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A quick update to say I've been liaising with Railtec models and a set of decals has been produced and should be appearing in on here in the next few weeks or so.

The Railtec set even comes complete with number sets for the unit.

My Thanks to Hammy for the recommendation and James for the use of the of the images which have been very useful in making these transfers

Cheers,

Dale

Archived