Trix TTR just keep on going

damndublo

It has been suggested that I start a Trix thread, so here we are. I run a Hornby Dublo 3 track layout and if you have ever run one, you will know where the moniker came from. Anyway back to the plot. By chance I bought a load of Trix TTR with some HD stuff I wanted. Trouble was, it fascinated me by its simplicity. It's like a small old Hornby, Brim etc. O gauge system, although not so colourful and without the tin-plate buildings or the size. Not very similar really, but you probably get my drift. Then on the other hand the 14V AC electric motor is so much more complicated in its operation than the simple 12V DC we are all use today, including my Dublo.

That's enough waffle for now, so here's a few photo's. 1. A pre war 040 tank LNER goods. 2. A late 1955ish 040 tender BR goods. 3. A pair of pre war LNER suburban 4 wheel coaches. Eat your heart out Hornby with them there new fancy plastic versions. Sad thing is, I prefer mine even if the window have fell down. ( On the to-do list, haven’t owned them long, honest.)

So anyone else out there with my affliction.

post-14236-0-64454300-1331248701_thumb.jpg

post-14236-0-91204600-1331248750_thumb.jpg

post-14236-0-03196100-1331248794_thumb.jpg

How come the "pre-war" tank locomotive has post-war Peco-type couplings?

I love the fine-scale handrails on the tender loco. How did the driver squeeze into his cab along with that huge 14V AC motor? And once he had squeezed in he couldn't see out because there are no front cab windows!

Ah! The joys of Trix-Twin! I love the LNER 4-wheel coaches.

Frank

They look hideous in today's eyes, but I suppose a child in the '50s would have loved them.

Trix used to have a showroom in Great Portland Street in the late '60s which later moved to Knightsbridge, and they sold off loads of tinplate wagons for 1/- (one shilling 5p in new money) each. We used to buy them just for the couplings! This was around the time they introduced their fine scale plastic range of models which included their BR coaches which were the most free-running coaches I've ever known.

At the time, they proposed the A3 (which went into production) and a class 47. The AL1/81 was also produced. Adrian Swain of ABS Models fame made the patterns for the motor bogie on this.

I don't know about you Frank, but I know quite a few 70+ year olds with some new metal in their knees, hips etc. Why can't my old girl have some aswell. Actually, I only got her on Tuesday, so a bit of replacement coupling needed. There isn't one on the back at all. But I can assure the rest is neally as ancient as my Mum.

Brian

Super photographs.

On the TTR front the only item I have is a Scotsman, have yearned for a Princess but to pay more than the value of my car is an off-put plus knowing my luck with automotive ferrous oxide, I would doubtless buy the mazac self destruct version of the locomotive!

Just what my Princess is doing! I have the loco body and most of the tender. The latter is OK, but the loco was warped inwards. My attempt to straighten it was a disaster as a bit broke off. I was going to try a Tri-ang Princess chassis but now it won't fit. The Trix original is quite a tight fit, so no chance there either.

The 0-4-0 has had a Peco coupling fitted - easy to replace. The coach windows are celluloid and have invariably shrunk (Dublo suffer from this too). Many Trix windows are held in by tinplate tabs through slots in the plastic, which tends to fracture at this point. The pre-war couplings are white metal and often break. Either the upright peg or the whole coupling is often missing, as is the wire loop.

The 4 wheel coaches are also found in LMS livery and as a lineside hut on a base.

When you run both Dublo and Trix, the word metal TABS become a new four letter word to join in with the ones you are already using, when working on coach sides and windows. When I got my lineside hut, it was even more derelict than Trix imagined. However, I found that the celluloid in all four of my 4 wheel coaches were intact at the hole at either end, and with very gentle persuasion lifting the tabs slightly I managed to get one coach glazed again. Mind you, I am not against fitting new windows if the original is to far gone. These old things are being used as they were intended. They are not being stashed in cupboards to look at now and again or boast about my collection to others. When I'm dead others can do what they like with them, but until then I'm going to play with my trains :senile: .

I also run a 3 rail Hornby Dublo layout but have many other makes rattling around. The full story is on www.dublorunner.com in all the detail.

Nothing is valuable, not a lot is collectable, they all sit on the layout all the time and have been ther for some 10 years without obvious deterioration, the boxes where I have them are in a big box in the loft but they are all old (vintage) so are appropriate to this topic.

Some pictures of non Dublo

Trix

post-311-0-59992500-1331379801_thumb.jpg

post-311-0-82836600-1331380652_thumb.jpg

post-311-0-65410900-1331380344_thumb.jpg

Graham Farish

post-311-0-08202000-1331381006_thumb.jpg

Gaiety

post-311-0-18664400-1331381353_thumb.jpg

Pictures not very good, memo to myself must get a tripod

Plenty more where these came from including Triang and others

Honestly the lack of coaches is down to fear of another addiction...............my bank account groans as it is with the vintage oo aquistions!

The crimson and cream scale length Trix Twin coaches are still quite reasonable in price. A couple of brake thirds, a full first and a restaurant car and there you are. They come with lights too. Rarer variations like LMS, LNER, Pullman and later BR liveries are a different matter price wise.

Could you possibly post a photo of the pony truck please? Mine came without one (They are prone to self destruct). I've since acquired another, but it is only the central frame (or a German class 01 pony if you prefer) and lacks the axleboxes. I'd like to see how they go together to make replacements.

EDIT.

My earlier mention of 'Celluloid' should have read 'Celastoid'. This is a non-inflammable product, of similar properties, made by British Celanese who later owned Trix.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/British_Celanese

Many thanks Andrew for the photos. I had thought the axleguards had to be carried on some sort of yoke, but wanted to see how it was actually done. Now I can go ahead and make one. I have a pair of white metal axleguards that have been waiting for ages.

Sorry about the PM. Today was spent making a replacement bogie for a Dublo A4 tender from tinplate. (Damaged Dublo curved rails are good for something!), so I'd didn't pay RMweb my usual attention. Now I've got to find where I put the wheels (acquired years ago - they'll come in handy one day....)

ASAP I'll post some pictures of some of my Trix - Compound, 'scale' coaches, American locos and freight stock......

Many thanks! I dug the part out today and realised that while, as I knew, it had been repaired, there is a large part missing, which has been replaced by a piece of brass. Still it's enough to get her working so I'll get on with - once the Dublo tender is sorted - my ham-handed metal work has struck again! At least I found the wheels. I had some for the Trix pony truck as well - must find them (I knew where all the bits were before we moved - now I can never find anything!)

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to set up a Manyways station today, with a few items Scotsman with two LMS coaches, Compound with two BR coaches and for comparison an HD 4MT tank with Hamblings and HD coaches. In the siding - post-6780-0-79090800-1333233758_thumb.jpgERG open wagon, Trix WELTROL WH and two pre-war (ex CROCODILE H) post-war LNER and 2 pre-war wagons

post-6780-0-97583500-1333233393_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-93174100-1333233428_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-51471500-1333233461_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-79090800-1333233758_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-12293400-1333233898_thumb.jpg

And 2 US series freight cars (the red devices are Trix Express uncouplers).

post-6780-0-55880000-1333233805_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-97583500-1333233393_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-93174100-1333233428_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-51471500-1333233461_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-12293400-1333233898_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong when posting pictures. The unwanted script appears on posting, but doesn't appear in edit mode ???

eg uploads/monthly_03_2012/post-6780-0-55880000-1333233805_thumb.jpg

Thankfully I've got no pictures to upload into the sqlreakle.

Now here's the question. I've got hold of a good Covered Span including the roof with no damage, except unfortunately the metal work has been painted dark green. But at 4 quid, I couldn't resist it. I don't suppose anyone out there has an idea what colour paint I can use that matches closely the Manyways components. Don't mind if it's a car rattle can or small tin, as I have an airbrush. I appreciate that there are variations in colour through age, ware and era, but something of a general tone will suffice.. :paint:

That's something I'd like to know too. My attempts to match this colour have so far failed. The nearest I've come to it can be seen above on the clock tower. It's not helped by there being several versions of the grey as can be seen between the goods shed and the platform. (It's actually greater than it appears here).

The same applies to the Dublo buildings. The cream/buff is very elusive. Reputedly there is a Ford Beige that will do.

I know what you mean David, I've got five metal stations on my Dublo layout, they are all different shades. Trouble is, trying to find a rattle can in beige is hard to do when it's not a trendy car colour anymore. Whereas when I was a lad in the car trade in the seventies, every manufacturer supplied differing shades throughout the decade. But they are only available today if you have them made up at an auto paint shop. which is not a lot of good when you don't know what to ask for and only want enough for a station, not a can big enough to spray your Austin 1800 with. Anyway, what colour did you use on the Trix clock tower? :dontknow:

I repainted it a long time ago. In my youth (I've had it from new*) I had some daft idea to remove the TTR lettering. I came up about half way down! It then spent some time with a new false front over the clock and the lettering. Seeing the light, all this rubbish was removed and the tower repainted. From what I remember, the colour is a mixture of black, white and a little buff Humbrol, brush painted the lettering being signal red IIRC. I'm not 100% sure now as it was quite some time ago and the colour was mixed by eye, so I have no idea of the relative amounts. Like wise with my repainted Dublo buildings. It starts with Humbrol Buff, but where it goes from there..?

The colour is nearly right, but not quite. Roofs are Humbrol orange or some sort of green plus yellow (my green roof cabin is orange underneath - shhh!)

IIRC the Ford colour is Safari beige. Halfords will mix it, but at a price (was £11 when I looked last - probably more now). I've paid less than that for a station! I acquired one for £4 less ramps (£1 each later) repainted in a tint akin to what Tri-ang collectors refer to as 'dung brown'. This required correction!

Seeing that we have pocket money accessories in another thread, I thought I'd include some of the more expensive Trix accessories here. So while I took a couple of shots for the other thread, here is one of a whistling coach which would have probably been on a few birthday lists in the day. It still works, but I can't adjust the sound to get a proper tone. I think it still looks good and is complete.

post-14236-0-74192600-1334008251_thumb.jpg

I have the whistling controller, but it too fails to produce a whistle like sound*. I tried the advice on the TTRCA site but without success*. There was also a signal box. I have the version without the noise. It has a curvy roof like most Trix plastic of the period it has warped.

* I had another one of these when they first appeared The whistle was passable new but... The control knob was also too small and the rotational angle (about 90º + 90º) insufficient. and it came in the offending plastic.

Hi Brian,try this guy,

modelrailwaydoctor.co.uk

He repaired my Minitrix locos & his website says he repairs most models.

Ray.

PS.Ordered the transfers for Silver link/King etc.today so will soon have all the items for completion of the loco.

Thanks for that Ray. Although they couldn't help, they gave me the name of Derek Gibbs in Cambridge who has done stuff for them and the TTRCA. Unfortunately he can only be contacted by snail mail. I thought us lot were the ones living in the past part of the time.

Thanks for that Ray. Although they couldn't help, they gave me the name of Derek Gibbs in Cambridge who has done stuff for them and the TTRCA. Unfortunately he can only be contacted by snail mail. I thought us lot were the ones living in the past part of the time.

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: !!!

Ray.

Archived