'Tornado' visits Plymouth on Saturday 10th March

• RMweb Gold

'Tornado' is due into Plymouth at 1419 hrs tomorrow, (with a Class 66 being added inside from Exeter for the banks). It returns from Plymouth back towards Paddington at 1705 hrs.

This thread is for any photos of the train in Devon!

I had a mate travel down on this train today and met him for a walk around the Hoe and Barbican area together with a pint in the Dolphin, but unfortunately did not take my camera so no photos.

The surprise of the day was a phone call reporting 10 down at Taunton then a right time arrival at Plymouth! The run over the South Devon banks was aparently very impressive and the descent of Hemerdon probably close to the wrong side of the limit.

• RMweb Gold

The surprise of the day was a phone call reporting 10 down at Taunton then a right time arrival at Plymouth! The run over the South Devon banks was aparently very impressive and the descent of Hemerdon probably close to the wrong side of the limit.

I suspect that exceeding Tornado's maximum permitted speed would not have done the Class 66 much good (do they have overspeed trips and are they set at maximum permitted speed or do they allow a 'tolerance' I wonder?).

Tornado would not have gone 1mph over 75 because there are too many "enthusiasts" who would shout it all over the web, the OTMR gets downloaded and its bye bye train driving career.

Do you honestly think that any driver with 1/2 a brain would risk his job just to please a few enthusiasts?

OTMR is routinely checked after these trips to make sure the loco was driven correctly, managers know that, the drivers know that and the people that organise the trip know that.

It aint going to happen.

As for the "10 down at Taunton then a right time arrival at Plymouth", with a 38 minute fester in Riverside yard to attach the shed (from 1218 – 1256 and rather generous timings anyway) do you think the 10 late at Taunton would have any effect on the Plymouth arrival time?

All this flannel of masses of time made up between point A and point B is just that, no loco will ever exceed the limits of the loco/ stock or track.

to clear up any timing problems.... 60163 departed Paddington ontime, ontime arrival at Newbury for water stop, 10 minutes late departure due to fgw hst, 13 late Bedwyn, 10 minutes late at Whiteball, water stop at Tiverton Junction, departed there 14 minutes down, into Exeter Riverside yard, departed there (with 66152 tucked inside) 17 minutes late, was 10 late at Dainton, and an arrival at Plymouth of 6 minutes late (catch up of time between Exeter and Newton Abbot was because the train was booked to be behind a stopping service originally and instead got a pretty clear run)

Tony

• RMweb Gold

to clear up any timing problems.... 60163 departed Paddington ontime, ontime arrival at Newbury for water stop, 10 minutes late departure due to fgw hst, 13 late Bedwyn, 10 minutes late at Whiteball, water stop at Tiverton Junction, departed there 14 minutes down, into Exeter Riverside yard, departed there (with 66152 tucked inside) 17 minutes late, was 10 late at Dainton, and an arrival at Plymouth of 6 minutes late (catch up of time between Exeter and Newton Abbot was because the train was booked to be behind a stopping service originally and instead got a pretty clear run)

Tony

So there we are - it didn't go over 75mph, let alone 80/90mph :O or anything in between running down Hemerdon. As usual all is fully explained when we see the facts, thank you Tony.

Just to clear the air nowhere did i state that the limit was exceeded but just reported the comments of those on the train regarding the apparant speed!

I have been around for too long to fall into the trap of "foaming" publicly on media such as this.

• RMweb Gold

Here are some photos taken from the west wing of Kernow Towers yesterday afternoon, the middle one at extreme telephoto range...

post-57-0-72125200-1331472220.jpg

post-57-0-09432600-1331472236.jpg

post-57-0-94066400-1331472250.jpg

Not the best shots of the actual loco and train, but kind of 'steam in the landscape'....

• RMweb Gold

All a bit too 'uppy & downy' west of Newton to go in for that sort of thing I think Rob - mind you one in EWS colours would have blended in a bit better.

You mean they wasn't a banker waiting in Dainton sidings to tag on its end either. A 51xx would have done. :sungum:

Archived