Class 47 Golden Anniversary celebrations featuring 47401 & D1501 at MR-Butterley

EE 8SVT

Class 47 Golden Anniversary celebrations featuring 47401 & D1501 at MR-Butterley

2012 is the Golden Anniversary of the introduction of the Class 47 into BR service, during the Midland Railex on the 18th & 19th of August, class 47’s both prototype and models, will feature extensively.

Working passenger trains on the Midland Railway- Butterley:

47401 (D1500) first class 47 built,in BR Blue 1980’s livery.

D1501 (47402) Courtesy of the East Lancs Diesel Group, this has been superbly restored and carries BR two tone green livery.

All standard gauge rail journeys are included, in your Railex ticket price.

Large display of Model Class 47 locomotives:

That depicts the various liveries carried over the last 50 years of service.

Layouts that feature Class 47 locomotives:

Aberdeen Kirkhill BR 1980’s SCR depot.

Class 47Anniversary Celebration/Midland Railex News:

For the latest up-to date information visit www.midlandrailex.co.uk or see the exhibitions thread for Midland Railex 2012.

Steve

Railex Team

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Latest News Wednesday 6th June:

Colas 47* to participate in the Class 47 Golden Anniversary celebrations,the Railex team would like to express their gratitude for the kind offer from Colas Rail,to provide one of their locomotives to participate in the celebrations.( * all visiting locomotives are subject to availability)

Richard our class 47 guru is negotiating with several Mainline Class 47 operators, we hope to bring you more details of other visiting locomotives, in the next few weeks.

Steve S

Railex Team

• 1 month later...

Latest news RE: - Class 47s at Midland Railex:

We are pleased to report that the technical problems that have affected D1501 availability have now been resolved and D1501 is now operational again.

Plans are now in hand to arrange rail movement from the ELR to the Railex, along with several other Class 47 locomotives.

The Railex Team would like to thank the ELR and its Diesel department for all their hard work in, coaxing D1501 back in to life.

More details will be announced soon, please continue to check this forum and the main Railex website for the latest information.

Colas 47* to participate in the Class 47 Golden Anniversary celebrations,the Railex team would like to express their gratitude for the kind offer from Colas Rail,to provide one of their locomotives to participate in the celebrations.( * all visiting locomotives are subject to availability)

Steve

Railex Team

Preparations to celebrate the Class 47 Anniversary are progressing well, both on the Full size visitors and on the model front. The situation on visiting 47s remains fluid and we will post details once confirmed with mainline operators.

Colas have this morning confirmed that one of their locomotives will arrive on Friday 17th at the MR-B; arrangements to move D1501 from the ELR are well advanced.

On the model 47 front the Core display of over 100 different 47 models will be supplemented, by others on operational layouts such as:

Aberdeen Kirkhill with over 26 different examples.

Please see Flood listing in post No 7 for full details.

More details and information will be added, as soon as it is available.

If you want to have a look at the show guide, please visit:

http://www.rmweb.co....xhibition-2012/

Post No 19

Steve

Railex Team :stinker:

Here is the definitive list for Kirkhill:

47570 Blue with grey roof

47593 InterCity

47597 Large Logo

47636 Large Logo

47650 Large Logo

47654 Large Logo

47663 Large Logo

47701 ScotRail

47704 ScotRail

47706 ScotRail

47709 ScotRail

47712 ScotRail

47714 ScotRail

47715 ScotRail

47406 InterCity

47477 Blue

47526 Large Logo

47482 Large Logo

47492 ScotRail red stripe

47550 Large Logo

47569 Blue with grey roof

47578 Large Logo

47641 Large Logo

47642 ScotRail red stripe

47107 Original Railfreight

47311 Railfreight Distribution

plus the possibility of 47522 in LNER green

• RMweb Gold

D1501 (47402) Courtesy of the East Lanc’s Diesel Group, this has been superbly restored to as built condition and carries BR two tone green livery.

Not wishing to seem pedantic, but, D1501 wasn't built with Serck shutters.

Pedants hat off now.

Mike.

Not wishing to seem pedantic, but, D1501 wasn't built with Serck shutters.

Pedants hat off now.

Mike.

Perhaps I should have said, returned to as near as possible its original condition, or repainted in it original livery style.

I would expect that very view of the many preserved diesels have been 100% returned to an as built condition, most would only be cosmetic i.e. paint and livery.

On the subject of paint the various internet thread on this subject, never cease to amaze me!

Most ex BR locomotives have been so heavily modified, that to return them to the original condition 100%, would be both expensive and time consuming for the owning groups limited funding.

It would also be in some respects a retrograde step, for instance should a class 20 have it Air Train pipe removed? Just so that it would look correct in Green livery as a Vacuum braked only locomotive.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps I should have said, returned to as near as possible its original condition, or repainted in it original livery style.

I would expect that very view of the many preserved diesels have been 100% returned to an as built condition, most would only be cosmetic i.e. paint and livery.

On the subject of paint the various internet thread on this subject, never cease to amaze me!

Most ex BR locomotives have been so heavily modified, that to return them to the original condition 100%, would be both expensive and time consuming for the owning groups limited funding.

It would also be in some respects a retrograde step, for instance should a class 20 have it Air Train pipe removed? Just so that it would look correct in Green livery as a Vacuum braked only locomotive.

Steve

Well said sir, I do agree with you that to return a locomotive to how it first left the work shops is inpossable and costley to do.

Terry

• RMweb Gold

Steve

I agree absolutely - which is why I would have been quite surprised to find that D1501 is now in 'as built condition'. But to say that something has been so restored when it very clearly hasn't is - I think - more than a bit misleading and is precisely how some strange impressions of the past can develop (as is not at all unusual with some preserved items be they diesel, steam or rolling stock). It certainly appears to carry original style livery but as already observed it is not in 'as built condition' as those of us who can remember the locos when new can easily identify.

However many folk do not have the (dubious?) benefit of being able to know what things looked like when they were new because they are too young or had no interest in railways at that time hence what I see as an important need to exercise care when describing 'restored' items.

• RMweb Gold

I agree absolutely - which is why I would have been quite surprised to find that D1501 is now in 'as built condition'. But to say that something has been so restored when it very clearly hasn't is - I think - more than a bit misleading and is precisely how some strange impressions of the past can develop (as is not at all unusual with some preserved items be they diesel, steam or rolling stock). It certainly appears to carry original style livery but as already observed it is not in 'as built condition' as those of us who can remember the locos when new can easily identify.

However many folk do not have the (dubious?) benefit of being able to know what things looked like when they were new because they are too young or had no interest in railways at that time hence what I see as an important need to exercise care when describing 'restored' items.

Thank you. That was the reason for my comment.

It was not my intention to mislead or give an inaccurate description of the current condition of D1501. I do understand how inaccurate captions/ photographs can create problems in the future for modellers and enthusiasts.

I would love to continue this discussion as both Station Master & Enterprising Western, have raised valid points, that are not just confined to Diesel locomotives, the NRM compound is just one example of a locomotive, with the potential to cause confusion.

However, as we are only six days away from the Railex, I will not have time to continue this discussion and this will be my last posting on this subject.

Visiting 47 Information:

Colas 47 No 47749 to arrive MR-B on Friday 17/08/2012

and it will work on passenger shuttle trains.

D1501 will move by Rail this week from ELR to the MR-B.

Timetable details will be posted early next week.

Steve

Railex Team

Colas have just advised that the visiting Class 47, will now be 47749 (not 47739 as quoted)

Steve

Railex Team

Colas have just advised that the visiting Class 47, will now be 47749 (not 47739 as quoted)

Steve

Railex Team

Can we get some City of Truro nameplates for it by the weekend (and renumber it 47076)?

Line up of 47’s on Monday 20th August 2012

From right to left are:

47270 / 47401/ 47749/ D1501/ D1516 & 47761

The Railex Team, Sponsors and Supporters would like to thank:

Colas Rail for providing 47749

East Lancashire Railway for providing D1501

West Coast Railways for providing 47270 for display and the movement of D1501 to and from the event.

The staff and volunteers from all of the above organisations worked very hard to provide the locomotives for the event; this is very much appreciated by all involved with the event.

Steve

Railex Manager

post-12870-0-34714600-1345648954_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Archived