Bachmann announce J11

Andy Y

Pom-Poms raise the cheers for Branchline J11’s

LNER J11 0-6-0.jpg

Bachmann Branchline today announced plans to extend its range of OO scale 0-6-0 freight locomotives, with the introduction of the LNER J11 (Great Central Railway Class 9J). These locomotives were affectionately known as “Pom- Poms”.

174 locomotives were built between 1901 and 1910 with 18 of them seeing service in France during World War 1. Some members of the class were rebuilt from 1942 with new cylinders, piston valves and a higher boiler pitch. The Bachmann Branchline model represents the class in post Grouping condition.

J11s were allocated to most sheds on the Great Central and Cheshire Lines Committee (in which the GC was a partner) lines including Wrexham in Wales. From 1927 under LNER ownership they began to spread their wings with former Great Eastern depots at Cambridge, Lowestoft, March, Norwich and Yarmouth all receiving examples. When the LNER took over operations on the Midland & Great Northern Joint Lines Melton Constable, South Lynn and Yarmouth Beach sheds also received them. The class was withdrawn between January 1954 and October 1962 with no examples being saved for preservation.

Three versions have been announced for introduction over the next 18 months. These include No. 5317 in LNER black (31-318), No. 64311 in BR black with early emblem (31-319) and No. 64325 in BR black with late crest (31-320DC). Features include;

• Highly detailed cab backhead

• Three types of smokebox fronts

• Different buffer, safety valve and chimney options

• Low boiler variant

Each model has a recommended retail price of £89.75. The DCC ON BOARD version will have a recommended retail price of £107.25.

Just terrific news. I am very excited at the prospect of being able to model Copley Hill more thoroughly with a veritable fleet of J11s going here, there, and everywhere.

Well done Bachmann - it looks like it will be a great year. :)

That, and being able to tailor the fleet so accurately with the different versions on offer. Just fantastic news.

• RMweb Gold

64311 was a Gorton engine in the '40's and '50's and a regular performer on Hadfield and Glossop passenger services, among others. Neilson, Reid built, she lasted until January 1961. I am just finishing off my (1st) detailed Union Mills n gauge conversion, but boy that's tempting! Brilliant selection from Bachmann. L & Y 2-4-2, wow

Cheers

Alastair

Guest Tom F

The J11 is a great choice, and more so than i originally thought after looking in my shed by shed books. The fact that Doncaster had an allocation in the early 1950's has opened the door for me, but also for anyone else modelling the south end of the North Eastern.

Well done Bachmann on producing a very wide spread yet regional 0-6-0! :)

Can someone confirm (I don't have reference books - this is outside my normal area) - presumably 64325 would be identical to both 64320 and 64328 ? (Both allocated to 40C in the mid 50s)

In fact was there much variation within the class (Thompson's rebuilds excluded?)

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that all three were standard J11's and were never rebuilt to J11/3 spec, which raised the boiler pitch slightly (4 inches??), altered cylinder covers at the front and required shorter chimneys and dome,.amongst other modifications. Identical might be stretching it a bit, depending on your time scale. Under LNER ownership, there was a lot of variation in dome, chimney types, safety valves and even cab height and the LNER gradually replaced GCR wheel type smokebox doors with twin handles. By BR days, I am pretty sure things had settled down to an ex-LNER pattern shorter dome (see the illustration on the Bachmann web-site) and a standard LNER chimney on nearly all standard members of the class. There was a squarer version of the dome used on O4s, don't know if any survived on Pom Poms after 1948. Whether any non superheated boilers were still in circulation in BR days I am not sure, but I'd doubt it - most BR engines seem to have carried Gresley pattern snifting valves immediately behind the chimney. There were five different builders involved, Neilson Reid, Beyer Peacock, Gorton, Vulcan Foundry and Yorkshire Engine Company so there may be variation in builders plates on the centre splasher? Your three were all fairly early Neilson Reid built locos. I think different buffers were fitted on some members of the class. Tenders varied, with 3,250 and 4,000 gallon Robinson types around so look out for RoD fillers on some of them. The majority had coal rails plated over on the outside, but a few carrying internal plating definitely survived until the locos themselves were scrapped. Well you did ask! I'd strongly advise a photo of any chosen prototype?

Best wishes,

Alastair

The J11 is wonderful news. A few were shedded at Lincoln and Colwick over the years, so I am sure that I can find reasons to have them on local freight workings.

Lovely; thanks Bachmann.

I wonder if a old J6 body would fit on the J11 chassis without looking too incorrect?

Archived