Bachmann announce J11

Andy Y

I have just received the latest addition to the EMGS manual which is an instruction sheet to convert this model to EM. Should be useful!

Regards

I've just found out that there is an error in the references section of the manual ie it quotes RM Jul 98 as having a drawing of the J11. Not so, I think it might be the Aug 98 issue, but I'm not sure. I discovered this after ordering a copy of the Jul98 RM of eBay. It arrived yesterday but it doesn't include the claimed drawing. It does though have a very nice article, including a drawing, of the K&ESR 0-8-0T!

Regards

Another reference in the manual is Model Railway Constructor January 1970. I received mine this morning from the Magazine Exchange (nobody seems to have an RM for Aug 98) and it has an excellent series of drawings for loco and tender. One reservation is the lack of a drawing of the backhead but that isn't too important for a RTR model conversion.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Called into Ian Allan Manchester Piccadilly yesterday, picked up a chipped J11 (late crest) for £87.

I don't use DCC and ran it from the box on DC, gauge master hand held controller. Instructions state that it will run straight from the box, chip fitted on straight DC. It didn't run as good as my early crest J11 bought last year. It would run very fast downhill and slow to a crawl on the slightest grade, pulling power very poor also. So I took the chip out and fitted the blanking plate provided and instantly it ran light a dream, constant slow speed either light engine or with a decent train behind her.

I suppose the Bachmann chip / gauge master hand held do not like each other.

Brit15

• 2 years later...

Personally, I'd imagine the odds to be vanishingly slim. How many customers would they expect to want one at full price? Transfers and/or bow pen seem a more likely way to get such a model, or pay a fortune for a "collectible".

At least the pre-1939 and pre-1923 modellers have not had third-rate treatment in connection with this model, just for a change. When first announced, there were clumsy Bachmann references to what were presumed to be intended models of the J11/3 rebuilds, really only of use to the herd following the predictable 50s/60s theme. They have never appeared and there seem to be no suggestions that they will. It's nice to see modellers of the earlier periods getting better treatment!

Personally, I'd imagine the odds to be vanishingly slim. How many customers would they expect to want one at full price? Transfers and/or bow pen seem a more likely way to get such a model, or pay a fortune for a "collectible".

At least the pre-1939 and pre-1923 modellers have not had third-rate treatment in connection with this model, just for a change. When first announced, there were clumsy Bachmann references to what were presumed to be intended models of the J11/3 rebuilds, really only of use to the herd following the predictable 50s/60s theme. They have never appeared and there seem to be no suggestions that they will. It's nice to see modellers of the earlier periods getting better treatment!

That's a shame, no GCR versions on ebay or Hattons at the moment, and there haven't been for a while.  May need to learn how to use a bow pen then!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I usually line my GCR models with transfers. I use LNER white/black/white and then add a single red LNER line (for LNER lined black livery) either side of boiler bands and round the outside of other panels.

I have tried using a bowpen and find that getting multiple lines at exactly the right spacing and dead parallel is not as easy as using the transfers.

What do people rate the chances of Bachmann doing another run of the GCR goods livery version?

I thought the chances of Bachmann doing another Longmoor WD 2-8-0 were slim, but that's in the catalogue so, given the apparent appetite for all things pre-grouping at the moment, another GCR liveried J11 is a distinct possibility. A brake van to go with it would be even better.

A J11 in GCR condition (a 9J really) would need a different chimney and dome.  However; Bachmann went to the effort of doing that for the Collector's Club limited edition, so the artwork and drawings for that option presumably still exist on Bachmann's CAD system somewhere. 

Never say never I reckon- they've had the D11 in the catalogue for a couple years now and only just gotten around to putting it in GC colours.  No reason why the J11 won't follow suit- eventually. 

Archived