Bachmann announce J11

Andy Y

Ken Pearce's shedside on Merseyside book (which is like my bible :) ) has lots of mentions of J10's around Liverpool but always calls them Pom Poms, so ive always known the J10s as Pom poms, it confused me when I read it was the j11s that were pom poms.

my question is was this wider known among enthusiasts and railwaymen?

• RMweb Gold

The first J10s were introduced as GCR class 9D in 1892. Designed by Pollitt, continued by Parker as the 9H and perpetuated by Robinson, also known as J10 s under the LNER and BR. These engines were never known by railwaymen as Pom-poms. J11s, GCR class 9J were introduced, by Robinson in 1901 and were known as Pom-poms, allegedly because the exhaust note mimicked the sharp bark of the Boer War gun of that name. In his 1980s ish book on the Cheshire Lines Committee, Nigel Dyckhoff wrongly identifies J10 as J11 and called them Pom-poms. This may be where some of this confusion originates from. J10s are not Pom-poms, as far as I am aware?

Cheers,

Alastair

J11s, GCR class 9J were introduced, by Robinson in 1901 and were known as Pom-poms, allegedly because the exhaust note mimicked the sharp bark of the Boer War gun of that name.

Soooo...

...is that the First or Second Boer War?

;)

• RMweb Gold

Well funny you should ask that, as I'm only aware of the one, 1899 -1902 but maybe the previous correspondent could tell us about the other one?

Alastair

The First Anglo-Boer War (1880–1881), was a rebellion of Boers (farmers) against British rule in the Transvaal that re-established their independence. The conflict occurred against the backdrop of the Pretoria government becoming increasingly ineffective at dealing with growing claims on South African land from rival interests within the country.

Just answered my own question here!! First time I have heard it referred to as this, but its pre J10 anyway... Just

Not really Nick, I saw Mike's comment but was running the joke out a bit longer :)

Sorry, Ian, I'd thought it had ended with your post #31. I still think these modern screens don't keep the ink warm enough, though :)

Nick

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any news of this impending Loco?  With all the engineering prototypes at Warley, there was no J11 amongst them.

Yes a J21 would have been a good option, but a LNER 0-6-0 is better than none at all.

MArk in OZ

I've never, ever heard of a J10 being called a Pom-Pom. Not once until today.

These (J11) engines were a mighty varied class, as I learned myself when trying to research one to build. Lots of scope for errors, so be wary when changing numbers/altering details. Dated photos of a specific engine highly recommended.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

How far north did the J11 get? North Yorkshire? I was not around to witness first hand. I have been informed they may have visited Darlington for repair but not seen any photos to confirm.

Allocations in BR days:

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=601011&type=S&page=allochttp://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=601011&type=S&page=alloc

How far north did the J11 get? North Yorkshire? I was not around to witness first hand. I have been informed they may have visited Darlington for repair but not seen any photos to confirm.

I have seen video footage of a J6 at Danby Wiske heading north so would have probably arrived at Darlington, and which would have come from around Leeds or Manchester most likely, the home of plenty of J11s, so anything's possible. Of course this was colour film making it late 1950s/ early 1960s when locos seemed to travel around more but hey I'm sure J11s were seen in Darlington on occasion before that.

If anyone does know where there's a photo of a J11 anywhere near Darlington pre-war I'd love to see it.

Regarding the Bachmann J11 model, I had a reply to a request for a spare parts (a B1 split chassis wheel Set) for a friend.  So added a question about the J11's progress, the reply was "There's not a release date for the J11 but it is progressing."  So thats the latest.  Maybe March's announcements may shed some light and an EP might be on show.

Mark in OZ

Archived