Treacle and SQL

Not sure if this helps but it seems to go very slowly each weekday around lunchtime 12:00 to 13:00

Not a suprize - Hands up all those surfing during their lunch breaks :) :P

mySQL query error: SELECT * FROM ip_topic_ratings WHERE rating_tid=48913 and rating_member_id=136

Got the above today at about 4.35 after wading through the proverbial treacle for about 10 minutes. Just logged back in still running slowly but not too frustrating.

Got this when trying to log in, Error (hash)10193 Retried and got this

An error occured with the SQL server:

mySQL query error: SELECT a.*,i.*,m.member_id as owner_id, m.members_display_name, m.members_seo_name, m.member_group_id,rating.rate, rating.rdate FROM (ip_gallery_albums_main a,ip_gallery_albums_main bbb) LEFT JOIN ip_gallery_images i ON ( i.id=a.album_cover_img_id )

LEFT JOIN ip_members m ON ( a.album_owner_id=m.member_id )

LEFT JOIN ip_gallery_ratings rating ON ( rating.rating_foreign_id=a.album_id AND rating.member_id=65 AND rating.rating_where='album' ) WHERE bbb.album_id=1660 AND a.album_node_left > bbb.album_node_left AND a.album_node_right < bbb.album_node_right AND (( ( (a.album_is_global=0 AND (

( a.album_is_public=1 AND ( ( FIND_IN_SET(3,a.album_g_perms_view) ) OR ( a.album_g_perms_view='*' ) ))

OR ( a.album_is_public=0 AND a.album_owner_id=65 )

OR ( a.album_is_public=2 AND ( a.album_owner_id=65 ) OR ( a.album_owner_id IN(7093) ))

) ) OR (a.album_is_global=1 AND ( ( FIND_IN_SET(3,a.album_g_perms_view) ) OR ( a.album_g_perms_view='*' ) )) ) )) ORDER BY a.album_node_left LIMIT 0,50

This is not a problem with IP.Board but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.Got in 3rd time but very slow

Posted a reply on the Heljan Turntable thread and eventually received an SQL error.

I reopened the forum in a new tab, navigated to the second page of VNC to find the thread again and although the thread had not been updated my post had been added.

Can I claim the record for the biggest sql error recorded. Is it any wonder that the sql server is falling over if this is the convoluted and frankly daft single command lines that are being sent to the server. How do you go about optimising this sort of command. Makes me wonder how optimised the tables are in the first place.

Makes me wonder if the sql server is being overloaded by poor command sequences. There shouldn't be a need for all these errors showing up to the client. If there are errors then they should be rolled back and a simple message sent to the client to instruct to refresh the page or otherwise.

and for the error message .. this will fill a page or two ..mySQL query error: etc

• RMweb Gold
Is it any wonder that the sql server is falling over if this is the convoluted and frankly daft single command lines that are being sent to the server.

Hi Kenton,

You don't want to know what Jim thinks of the IPS code.

Not sure what can now be done about it. A move to different software would be a massive undertaking. The smart money is now on xenForo ( http://xenforo.com/ ) rather than vBulletin.

Martin.

So not only has Andy just had to delete all of that rubbish Kenton I have had to delete the duplicate post!

It is a problem and Andy is working on it so once more I would ask people to have a little patience if it is slow and check once it comes back on line that you have not double posted and if you have delete one of them to save us a job please.

Sorry Andy

I tried to delete the double post and the "delete" button still doesn't work.

Don't know where the second message came from as I had closed the tab and moved on. There were even posts in between. There are some very weird things going on this afternoon.

I have to say in part defense of IPB. Things used to be running reasonably OK with these sql errors few and far between but for some reason they seem to be more frequent. That sort of suggests that IPB is not so much to blame.

The trouble is RMWeb is so popular that it has always overwhelmed it database.[Ed] and sorry Mod5, our posts crossed in the ether. As said "Delete" does not work. Also I did genuinely thing that particular error was worthy of note as it illustrated exceptionally well what the problem might be. Perhaps including it on forum was a little OTT but I seem to have problems in PM and site email (of much less importance ATM) so was less certain that it would get through.

As a contrast, here's a nice short SQL error message:

mySQL query error: SELECT g.g_forum, g.g_id FROM ip_social_groups g

It appears that this is selecting two items from each of the "social groups", which I assume would be few in number, so it is difficult to see why this should have overwhelmed the database.

In general, I have found performance today to be extremely disappointing. Even around 6am with only about 80 users online response was far slower than treacle. However, from time to time response has improved markedly.

System: Firefox 11 on Windows XP.

David

• RMweb Gold
It appears that this is selecting two items from each of the "social groups", which I assume would be few in number, so it is difficult to see why this should have overwhelmed the database.

Hi David,

Generally, if you see one of these SQL messages, it's not that one which is causing the problem.

It is all the previous ones from several hundred online users which are choking the database engine, preventing the one showing from being executed.

Martin.

Hi David,

Generally, if you see one of these SQL messages, it's not that one which is causing the problem.

It is all the previous ones from several hundred online users which are choking the database engine, preventing the one showing from being executed.

Martin.

Thanks Martin - that makes more sense.

However, in that case I would suggest you change the mechanism which encourages the user to report the error, as this is apparently a waste of everybody's time.

David

• RMweb Gold
However, in that case I would suggest you change the mechanism which encourages the user to report the error, as this is apparently a waste of everybody's time.

Hi David,

It's useful to know that the error occurred, so that frequency of them can be monitored. However, the actual details of the error probably don't add much if they are all different.

It would be for Andy to change anything, I'm just an ordinary member like you. smile.gif

Martin.

...It's useful to know that the error occurred, so that frequency of them can be monitored...

Maybe so with intermittent, difficult to track, errors but I suspect that if we all reported every one we see, not only would we generate many more but also bring the server to its knees. It could be self-defeating.

Nick

I would like to think that these errors are being logged, and that the logfiles are being perused occasionally, at least when there are serious complaints about treacle.

I can't speak for others, but from my own perspective I see a lot more errors than I make posts, so if I were to report all the errors then my posting rate would increase many-fold, which would probably lead to Nick's forecast collapse of the system.

David

• RMweb Gold

SQL errors here in China too (Win7 IE9) from about 7:30 local (00:30 UK) onwards.

Its not got worse since i arrived in China on Friday has it?

I have to agree with Kenton, things are happening a little strange on the RMWeb site:-

My 'Digest' seems irratic but when i look into it it does seem accurate - probably a problem with me! !-)

But, this next item does cause me problems.

All Posting I make I have to "cut and past" my post into Notepad, as about %33 of the time, I lose everything when I press "Post" button.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

I know just what you mean ;) ... that's 3 more :D

I hate having to EDIT a post i've made.

I always feel that it looks like i've changed the post's meaning later to make a new point or win an argument.

(Intead of my usual bad spelling, {still no spell checker on my new computer}, and typing.)

That said, I don't look down on other posts that have been edited as I always look towards the good side of people.

Maybe the "Edit..." message should only appear if the post is edited after a 'grace' period of time to allow for "immediate" corrections - say 10 to 30 minutes?

Kev.

(Just a thought...)

Ah... also a different kind of SQL error...

I was adding a Post to, well Editing Posts, which seemed to hang after i hit the Post button. Eventually the thread re-appeared but the fisrt Post had this instead of the original text...

post-12815-0-42484600-1333202217.png

• RMweb Gold

No SQL errors here for over 24 hours, and RMweb running very smoothly all day. smile.gif

So many thanks to whoever did what to cure the problems. thumb_smiley.gif

Hopefully Old RMweb can be got online again soon.

Martin.

Archived